How to get 5.0 update again??

shlosen

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 2013 (WiFi). It was loaded with tons of apps, so when it received the update, I decided to reset it and then install the update. But after I did the factory reset, (around 3 weeks ago,) I never received the notification for the update again! Please help!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! For future reference, most people do the factory reset after the update.

It's possible that your device got sent to the end of the queue after resetting, although it's pretty late now. Some people might recommend the trick of clearing the Google Services Framework, but I would be cautious about this, since Google engineers themselves have warned against doing it.

On older devices, I recall the trick of manually setting the date ahead by about a year or so, then checking for a system update again. Not sure if that really works any more, but it's worth a try. Ultimately, you could always sideload the update. How to manually update your Nexus | Android Central

shlosen

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I tried the time and date trick, with no success.
I'd rather not risk anything with my tablet.
Is there any major long term difference between side loading the update and doing it the regular way?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
B. Diddy, do you think that the op and I won't get the update now for some reason? I say this because I had the 5.0.1 update sitting in my notifications for days and never updated. One day it just disappeared and never came back! This was at 3 weeks ago now.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wish I could give you a definite answer, brosko. It really shouldn't matter, but I certainly have seen posts in the past about people who just seemed to be skipped over.

To shlosen, sideloading an official update shouldn't cause any problem when it comes to future updates.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'll be patient for now. I don't think I would even install it if I got it today anyway. :)

It would just be nice to know I have the option to do so because I own a nexus if you know what I mean ;)

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, I've had zero issues with 5.0.1 on my Nexus 7 2013, and my wife hasn't had any issues with 5.0 on her Nexus 7 2012. I don't doubt the problems some report are real, but I question what percentage of people are having those issues.

shlosen

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Brosko. The page you posted warns that you can screw up your device if you don't know what you're doing though, you know with all the bootloading and SDK stuff.
My tablet cost $170, I'm not sure Lollipop is worth the risk.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
If you're nervous about sideloading, I would just wait for an OTA update. It could be any day, and I'd be surprised if it was more than a few weeks.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Brosko. The page you posted warns that you can screw up your device if you don't know what you're doing though, you know with all the bootloading and SDK stuff.
My tablet cost $170, I'm not sure Lollipop is worth the risk.

I didn't post any link, that was B. Diddy.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that was me--but it's a good Android Central article, and they're just cautioning the user to do things carefully. Most users who have some small degree of tech savvy and who can follow directions well should be able to do it successfully following those instructions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad