Nexus 7 2013 swap 16GB FOR 32GB?

Zach Stoddard

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I did something stupid. I recognize the idiocy in what's been done, and looking to resolve whether I can save the newer device, at least.

I have a 32gb Nexus 7 2013 with a cracked screen, and a 16gb Nexus 7 2013.

Consulting the "Nexus 72nd Generation" teardown guide at ifixit.com, I swapped the motherboards with the goal in mind of accessing the 32gb model's flash and wiping it back to basic to protect personal info trapped on it when I cracked the screen.

After double checking all connections, sealing everything up and attempting to turning on the newer device with the 32gb motherboard swapped, it wouldn't turn on.

Can anyone help me identify what happened? And maybe, if possible, what I can do to revive it?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
That's strange - I would have expected the process you followed to work. Hard to imagine that there's some other difference, besides total amount of storage, between the two motherboards.

Have you tried swapping back in the 16GB motherboard?

Have you tried charging the unit? Perhaps when the 32GB motherboard detects the battery from the 16GB chassis it freaks out because it's not the battery that it had information on.