03-12-2015 01:40 PM
108 ... 2345
tools
    I just got notice for 5.0.2 system update, and I'm running 4.4.4

Is there a way to permanently dismiss the update, and wait for a future version?
    02-09-2015 05:01 PM

Is there a way to permanently dismiss the update, and wait for a future version?
    just don't install it... that's it) Any other information is available on the Internet)

Nexus 7 2nd WiFi Android 5.0.2
    02-12-2015 01:43 PM

You can disabled the notification for the update by long pressing it then selecting app info and then when it takes you to the play services app info screen uncheck the enable notifications box to disable notifications.
    I just did it as I was sick of the constant notification and I dont want to install lollipop just yet.
    02-12-2015 04:09 PM
    You can disabled the notification for the update by long pressing it then selecting app info and then when it takes you to the app info screen uncheck the box to disable notifications.
    I just did it as I was sick of the constant notification and I dont want to install lollipop just yet.
    Thank you! That takes me to "Google Play Services". Will disabling notifications also stop all other apps from updating (besides 5.0.2 system update)?

BTW, the 5.0.2 system update in-waiting looks like a hefty 52 MB. Will it ever delete itself, or do I have to zap it?
    02-12-2015 05:21 PM
    I was under the impression that it has not yet downloaded? If you go to software update in about device it says click to download. If yours has downloaded already i would (if that bis possible) I would say delete it. The update will always be in the software update section of the settings should buoy choose to have a change of heart.
    Regarding stopping apps from downloading; I doubt it. What it will stop is any notification alerting you to a possible update etc.
    02-12-2015 05:34 PM
    BTW: that is a big relief having that damn notification that keeps flashing at the top of the device gone isn't it? I am going to think about it and read a little more online before updating to lollipop on my n7 or n5. I have it in my n9 so I got my 5.0 fix covered for now. I just dont trust it on my other devices yet unfortunately, moreover I am not even in really sure that I genuinely like it.
    02-12-2015 05:36 PM
    You can disabled the notification for the update by long pressing it then selecting app info and then when it takes you to the play services app info screen uncheck the enable notifications box to disable notifications.
    I have the same question that cab2 asked: if I follow the above instructions, will I disable all notifications or just the one for installing 5.0.2 (I should add that in my case, I I think I did download the app weeks ago, and so the notification is telling me that it's ready to install.). I don't want to disable all notifications, just the one for installing 5.0.2.
    02-13-2015 10:43 AM
    Well I dont know what notifications (if any) besides the one for the update will be disabled, but I can tell you that the notifications for app updates from the play store still work. For me I am fine with that. Its just nice not having that damn notification annoying the hell out of me anymore.
    cybernutte likes this.
    02-13-2015 05:58 PM
    @brosko, thanks very much for your reply. It was mostly app notifications from the Play Store that I didn't want to lose. Since you say you still get them, I think I'll try to zap the 5.0.2 notification.
    02-13-2015 06:21 PM
    Well, I just long-pressed on the 5.0.2 notification and then clicked on app info, and then unchecked the box about showing notifications. I'll be really surprised, though, if I continue to get app store notifications, since when I clicked on app info, what came up was Google Play Services, and it was there that I unchecked show notifications. We'll see. Even if I have to go to Play Store more often to check to see what apps need updating, that might be worth it if I don't have to be continually reminded about the unwanted 5.0.2. Thanks again, brosko, for the instructions for how to do this.
    02-13-2015 06:29 PM
    Well, I just long-pressed on the 5.0.2 notification and then clicked on app info, and then unchecked the box about showing notifications. I'll be really surprised, though, if I continue to get app store notifications, since when I clicked on app info, what came up was Google Play Services, and it was there that I unchecked show notifications. We'll see. Even if I have to go to Play Store more often to check to see what apps need updating, that might be worth it if I don't have to be continually reminded about the unwanted 5.0.2. Thanks again, brosko, for the instructions for how to do this.
    I thought the same (about not getting play store app update notifications) but you will see that you WILL continue to get them (at least I do and dont see a reason why it would be any different for you or anybody else). Honestly I dont see any notifications or anything missing. All is the same except the annoying update notification is gone.
    02-13-2015 07:42 PM
    Just thinking about it, it makes sense that we would continue to get app update notifications from the play store because the play store is its own app and has its own settings for notifications and all and this is what obviously controls app update notifications. Play services app like you said is the one we disabled notifications on and is more for OS related notifications I think.
    02-13-2015 07:51 PM
    I hadn't thought about the difference between Play Store and Play Services, but I bet you're right. I guess I'll just have to remember to enable Play Services again if and when Google finally comes out with an update version that works well. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the peace of no longer being bothered by the &^%(!!F?# notification. Again, many thanks!!
    brosko likes this.
    02-13-2015 10:11 PM
    Thanks for this! I didn't want to take lollipop yet either and now that pesky notification is gone! Hopefully, 5.1 is on its way and will be a stable build.

Posted via the Android Central App
    brosko likes this.
    02-14-2015 08:53 AM
    Thanks for this! I didn't want to take lollipop yet either and now that pesky notification is gone! Hopefully, 5.1 is on its way and will be a stable build.

Posted via the Android Central App
    We can only hope.
    02-14-2015 10:35 AM
    I have 5.02 waiting to install on my 2013 N7 wifi, but I am leery like so many others. My N7 runs so nicely on KitKat, I can't think of a good reason to fix what ain't broken. Honestly, can someone give me (and others) a compelling reason to upgrade? I feel like I may be courting trouble, with all the complaints I've read about earlier versions. Thanks.
    02-14-2015 09:09 PM
    I would say wait for 5.1. Give Google several months to iron out the bugs. That's what I'm doing. The time will come and it will feel natural to update. Such is the google android way of life.
    02-15-2015 05:42 PM
    Sounds right to me. A shame though it will take that many iterations to finally have a truly stable version,especially for *their own device*. Sigh..
    brosko likes this.
    02-15-2015 05:50 PM
    Sounds right to me. A shame though it will take that many iterations to finally have a truly stable version,especially for *their own device*. Sigh..
    I agree. Who knows if we were to upgrade right now we might love it and have no problems but I'd rather not chance it after everything I have read online. Wait it is... For the time being at least
    cybernutte likes this.
    02-15-2015 07:10 PM
    Heard on All About Android that a 5.1 version has been seen in Asia, so perhaps it will appear in No. America soon. That should be the one to settle on.Til then, sittin' tight with KitKat.
    brosko likes this.
    02-18-2015 06:58 PM
    Heard on All About Android that a 5.1 version has been seen in Asia, so perhaps it will appear in No. America soon. That should be the one to settle on.Til then, sittin' tight with KitKat.
    Same here.
    02-19-2015 03:57 PM
    I installed 5.0.2 and my Google Nexus tablet is not working properly. It locks very often. I want the old version back or do something about it , please. Can You help me,,please?
    02-22-2015 10:42 PM
    I installed 5.0.2 and my Google Nexus tablet is not working properly. It locks very often. I want the old version back or do something about it , please. Can You help me,,please?
    Try doing a factory reset...it should fix most if not all of your issues, but before you do that you should backup any files you need because it will completely erase everything and will reinstall 5.0.2 like new.
    02-23-2015 11:48 PM
    I came to this thread ready to complain about not yet receiving the ota update on my nexus 7 fhd.

My nexus is my baby, and runs beautiful after hard use over a year.
    So the census is to ignore the ota when it comes thru?

Posted via Android Central App
    02-26-2015 03:14 AM
    I don't know if I say a consensus is against it. People (like me) that are running 5.0.2 with no problems at all rarely post about it. That said, even though it's working fine in everyday use I don't see any big advantage over KitKat. If you're cautious, and KitKat meets your needs, wait until 5.1. If you want the latest and are willing to try it (and perhaps roll back to KitKat) give it a shot.
    02-26-2015 08:11 AM
108 ... 2345