My N7 is dead - looking for options to replace

ultimate_ed

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I've been pretty happy with my N7 2013 since I bought it back at it's release. However, it took a spill today and suffered severe screen damage to the point of being unresponsive.

So, now I find myself in the market for a replacement. I've found the N7's 7" screen and form factor to be a good size and shape and a nice complement to my Moto X phone when I want a larger screen to browse with.

Naturally, I lean towards just getting another one and I've seen deals for them popup on Techbargains and similar deal sites. But, before I go back, I figured it was worth looking into what the market is currently offereing. The N7 is a bit old in terms of tech hardware now, though it had just gotten its lollipop update a few weeks ago. Still, I expect it's probably going to be the last major update that it gets from Google, considering their tendency to drop support for devices every few years. Which then leads me to wonder if I should go for something newer that will offer a longer support life.

The Nexus 9 doesn't really look like the answer, but I'm not sure what is.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 has looked intriguing to me though the price ($349 at Amazon) is steep. I'd use Nova Launcher in lieu of TouchWiz but that's just a personal preference. I like my Nexus 7 but the screen on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is beautiful - something Samsung is good at (and there are different color modes available if the stock mode is too vibrant for you). Plus it has a micro SD card slot.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I haven't seen any 7" Android tablets that would tempt me to be a replacement for my Nexus 7 '13, even if mine were lost or stolen. I'd just get another one. Nothing else seems to have comparable hardware without being significantly more money.

Jaspa5

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Having the same debate myself, N7 2012 is just a total pain
john lewis have the galaxy tab pro for £199
Seems like a decent tablet but only 16GB, seems like battery may also be an issue.
Want something with 32GB and memory card slot and no more than £300 but there is nothing
Not keen on Apple products but the IPad mini 2 32GB almost looks tempting at £279

ultimate_ed

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Well, I'm at least relieved, yet a bit disappointed to see that there's no clear winner over replacing my 2013 N7 with something else. The Samsung tablets do look interesting, though I'm not a fan of TouchWiz by any stretch.

It's disappointing that we didn't get a proper third gen Nexus 7 and that the 2nd gen N7 still looks like the best bet, especially for the price.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
The fixed buttons on Samsung's are a pita if you want to use the tablet in landscape orientation. I always kept hitting at least one of them while manipulating the tablet.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante