NETFLIX APP: laggy unwatchable after Android 5.0.2 update

KalELonRK

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Man, wish I had continued to ignore the Android 5.0.2 update. I updated a few days ago and now my beloved Netflix app is no longer usable. The video and audio has incredible lag, it's just terrible and unwatchable. Right before House of Cards season 3 got released too, epic fail.

Any advice on how I can fix the Netflix app on my Nexus 7 tablet? If there is no fix, how hard would it be to reset my device and install Android 4.x back on it?

Thank you for your time, I appreciate any advice you can offer on this life and death situation.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Not sure if this will do anything, but go to Settings>Developer Options, and uncheck "Use NuPlayer." If you don't have any Developer Options visible, then go to Settings>About Tablet, and tap Build Number 7 times. Now go back one level, and tap Developer Options.

Another thing to try is a cache partition wipe, which is always a good idea after a system update: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...e-nexus-7-2012-2013-cache-partition-wipe.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, try going to Settings>Apps>All, select Netflix, and Clear Cache/Data, then Force Stop. Now try again.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's relatively straightforward to use something like Nexus Root Toolkit (http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/ - not just a tool for rooting as the name might imply) to revert back to a previous version of the OS.

Although I must say that I have 5.0.2 loaded on my N7 (2013) and I haven't seen an issue with Netflix. I did not load 5.0.2 via OTA, however; I loaded it using NRT. YMMV.

KalELonRK

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info, however I "fixed" it today.

The app simply needed to be updated, but it never appeared on the "needs to be updated list" in Google Play so I didn't know it wasn't up to date. Discovered it when I went to try and reinstall the app. It works just fine now.

Thanks everyone for your time, I do appreciate it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's weird--that kind of thing usually only happens with preinstalled Google apps. Glad it works now!

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
That's weird--that kind of thing usually only happens with preinstalled Google apps. Glad it works now!

I've seen that on my devices - today, in fact. I saw an announcement that Nook had a major update of its app out but "My apps" didn't show any updates ready for install. But when I scrolled down through my installed apps list, Nook showed up with an Update button which I selected and did an install. Happens every now and then on my 2013 N7, Note 4, and TF700T tablet.