The Nexus 7 (2013) Android 5.1 Lollipop Thread

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Beach.

"It might be better and easier to just grab the newest (5.1.1) full image, and install the whole thing clean. "

How do I do that?
There are very good instructions for flashing a factory image on the same page where you find the official images themselves, conveniently enough.

TomD

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
My usage is light, so your results may vary.

I found better battery life with 5.1.1.

GSAM Battery Monitor reports 0.4-0.5% drain per hour at idle with Wi-Fi connected.

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
There are very good instructions for flashing a factory image on the same page where you find the official images themselves, conveniently enough.

OK, I solved my own problem. I downloaded 5.0.2, and after I did so it went straight to the 5.1 download. I don't know what's supposed to be improved here, but right off I can't find a feature I use all the time, the screen rotation lock-unlock.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
OK, I solved my own problem. I downloaded 5.0.2, and after I did so it went straight to the 5.1 download. I don't know what's supposed to be improved here, but right off I can't find a feature I use all the time, the screen rotation lock-unlock.

Settings>Display.

Posted via Android Central App

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Settings>Display.

Posted via Android Central App

Yeah, but that's too many steps compared to the quick and easy way I was able to do it before. I did figure out that I can draw down the single top curtain (or whatever you're supposed to call it) and then click on the blue dot and change it there. Easier than your way, but not as easy as it was before. So far the only improvement I've seen is the on screen keyboard.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but that's too many steps compared to the quick and easy way I was able to do it before. I did figure out that I can draw down the single top curtain (or whatever you're supposed to call it) and then click on the blue dot and change it there. Easier than your way, but not as easy as it was before. So far the only improvement I've seen is the on screen keyboard.

It's only a one-time settings change, though. Right? Or do you change it frequently?

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Code:
Wow - look at the reviews for this lollipop thing on CNet! And I take it I can't go back to 4.4 either. Damn, I said I wasn't go to download it and then I did it anyway, on both of my 7's too. They've like destroyed Android in one swell foop. :(

Last edited:

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
My battery is falling like an elevator. My WiFi is shutting itself off. They've like destroyed Android in one swell foop!

Last edited:

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I can't find a feature I use all the time, the screen rotation lock-unlock.

Right... google should be a better friend to you... if you google "android 5.1 auto-rotate" (without quotes, obv), the first 15+ results all give the solution.
You have to first turn on auto-rotate in << Settings... Accessibility... >> Once that's enabled, the auto-rotate icon will appear in Quick Settings.

Yes, you can revert back to KitKat if you wanted. Again, google shows loads of websites that say how to do it.

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Beach. Hopefully I can get back KK without too much trouble. They were saying you can't get it back on CNet. I'll crank up my google machine.

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Your second tip, Beach - Auto rotate was already on under settings- accessibility. So where's my icon? What's Quick Settings, the blue button? That's where I was before.

Jeez, everything's screwed up now, even typing. This seems to be the only place on the internet with people who actually like the lollipop. I wish I'd looked at all the other places before downloading it.

Add: I found the rotate icon. The trick is to pull the pulldown TWICE.

Last edited:

eddiea

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I turned on my N7 today and got the 5.1.1 update. I've experienced no issues at all (and didn't expect any)...very snappy and no lag whatsoever. It's still a fantastic device after 2 years!

mfprince

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
No issues at all with 5.1.1, I OTA'd it last week and everything is great. Every Lollipop release has worked better than the previous one for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692