Changing out screens?

redsonja84

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I had a Nexus 7 32GB model last year. Dropped it and shattered the screen. :'( I just bought a new one, but it's a 16GB model. I've literally had it 2 days, and I've already filled it. :eek:

Here's the question:

Is it doable to just switch the screen from the 16 GB to the 32 GB model? Is there an easy way? Do I have to disassemble the whole thing to do it?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Is it doable to just switch the screen from the 16 GB to the 32 GB model?
Possibly.

Is there an easy way?
Bring it to a repair shop. By yourself? No.

Do I have to disassemble the whole thing to do it?
No, you just have to have broken about 5-10 screens and phones learning how to do it without breaking anything. All it takes is experience. The first time? If you have no problems after you're finished, buy a lottery ticket. Any lottery ticket. You'll win. Bet on a horse. It'll come in first. Walk in front of a speeding train. It'll run off the rails 5 feet before it hits you.

That's not luck, it's Clark's third law - "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." I've trained a lot of cellphone repair people. No one ever got the first major repair done without making a mistake. (And pinching the wrong wire in the wrong place as you reassemble things can take out the motherboard, turning a cheap repair into an expensive one.) That's why shops don't throw out "doesn't pay to fix" phones. They're like cadavers in medical school. You can't kill a dead subject.

I'll tell you what I tell anyone else contemplating something like this - it's cheaper to pay someone with experience to do it.

redsonja84

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I'll tell you what I tell anyone else contemplating something like this - it's cheaper to pay someone with experience to do it.

Any quotes I've gotten have been for almost as much, if not more than a new Nexus. To replace the 32GB screen Asus wanted 200. I didn't find much cheaper than that once you factored in the cost of the screen itself. Do you have any suggestions for REASONABLY priced repair shops?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Part of the trouble of swapping screens is that there are 2 devices in danger of having something go wrong. I have a repair shop and have replaced a Nexus 7 2013 screen before. As mobile screen repairs go, it's a bit easier than average, but that doesn't mean it's particularly easy, and not something I'd advise someone to attempt on a first try unless they have experience working with small parts & attention to detail.

The screen/glass combo itself is a bit under $60. Labor is going to be 30-60 minutes most likely. If you brought it into my shop, I'd probably quote $100 for the repair. Unless you're in SE Idaho, though, the added shipping bumps the total repair cost up a fair bit, so I'm not telling you my pricing to try to sell you on a repair, but to give you an idea of the costs involved. Swapping screens doubles the labor, and increases the liability. If something goes wrong, now there's 2 broken devices instead of 1, and I'd still probably quote $100 for swapping screens vs replacing the screen, due to the increased labor + liability.

So overall, I'd advise shopping around for a shop that can do it for a reasonable price, and just replace the broken screen vs swapping. Then you can sell or use the 16gb to make up for the repair costs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star