So I have a $100 gift card I can use at Amazon. This would effectively make a Nexus 7 16gb $79 shipped, a Nexus 7 32gb $154 shipped, or an Nvidia Shield Tablet 16gb $199 shipped.

I would mainly be using this for multimedia (movies, books, music, Chromecast streaming), the occasional time waster games, and browsing.

Which would be the better buy at these prices and at this stage in the game?

Thanks!
    03-18-2015 10:00 PM
    Honestly, the Nvidia. But that's just me.
    03-18-2015 10:02 PM
    Honestly, the Nvidia. But that's just me.
    I did the same thread in both forums because I figured I could get different opinions from both sides.

But why would you go Nvidia? Better support down the road since it isn't almost 2 years old already?
    03-18-2015 10:11 PM
    I did the same thread in both forums because I figured I could get different opinions from both sides.
    Cross posting is not allowed: Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

But why would you go Nvidia? Better support down the road since it isn't almost 2 years old already?
    It was released in 7/14. Newer device all around; newer chipset, arguably better one at that. Sure you are spending more, but you are investing in the longevity of the device as well.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    03-18-2015 10:16 PM
    Cross posting is not allowed: Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

It was released in 7/14. Newer device all around; newer chipset, arguably better one at that. Sure you are spending more, but you are investing in the longevity of the device as well.
    Wow, I've been a member here for years and seen numerous duplicate threads to see more differing opinions. Oh well. No ill intent.

And that's kind of what I figured. Wasn't sure if it was worth the added $120 over the 16gb Nexus 7 with my usage habits.
    03-18-2015 10:26 PM
    Wasn't sure if it was worth the added $120 over the 16gb Nexus 7 with my usage habits.
    I guess the best counter question is: how long do you intend to keep the tablet? If you plan on upgrading in a year no matter what, save your money. If you do want it to last as long as possible, spend a little extra money now.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    03-18-2015 10:31 PM
    Based on what you will use if for, grab a 32GB refurbished 7 for $200, I've bought two from this seller with zero issues:

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-G...cUvbUpU4293067

With Nvidia releasing the Shield console with controller for $200 in May, I wouldn't bother with the Shield Tablet.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    03-19-2015 08:17 AM
    Based on what you will use if for, grab a 32GB refurbished 7 for $200, I've bought two from this seller with zero issues:

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-G...cUvbUpU4293091

With Nvidia releasing the Shield console with controller for $200 in May, I wouldn't bother with the Shield Tablet.
    I'm not a big gamer, so the Shield Console wasn't even on my radar. Do those refurbs come in the Nexus 7 box? Have all accessories? You said you've had zero issues, does that mean they look brand new, too?
    03-19-2015 08:32 AM
    I guess the best counter question is: how long do you intend to keep the tablet? If you plan on upgrading in a year no matter what, save your money. If you do want it to last as long as possible, spend a little extra money now.
    I would say that I'd like to keep it until next year, or this fall at the absolute earliest (depends on what comes down the pipeline). I'm a bit of a tech junky and like to have the latest and greatest. I'm going to pick up an S6, have a Chromebook on the way, and would like a tablet for some content consumption/entertainment.
    03-19-2015 09:32 AM
    I'm not a big gamer, so the Shield Console wasn't even on my radar. Do those refurbs come in the Nexus 7 box? Have all accessories? You said you've had zero issues, does that mean they look brand new, too?
    Not an original box but does come with the Asus power supply & cable. My understanding is that they are refurbished from Asus not from the seller. The two I purchased were flawless; screen, sides, and back of device. Side and power buttons felt great too, very tactile and even better than on an original purchase a few years back from Staples.

Having had both devices I would go with the 7. The screen and build quality is much better than on the Shield. Battery life is similar. Check out the Nvidia forums for more info:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/b...shield-tablet/
    03-19-2015 11:42 AM
    Not an original box but does come with the Asus power supply & cable. My understanding is that they are refurbished from Asus not from the seller. The two I purchased were flawless; screen, sides, and back of device. Side and power buttons felt great too, very tactile and even better than on an original purchase a few years back from Staples.
    Very cool. I'll have to consider that.

I'm actually now looking at the Dell Venue 8 7000. I completely forgot about that guy. I wish it was on Lollipop already, but maybe they're ironing out some kinks in it. It looks like a pretty solid option, too. More expensive, for sure, but maybe something that would last me awhile longer than the others.
    03-19-2015 11:51 AM
    Very cool. I'll have to consider that.

I'm actually now looking at the Dell Venue 8 7000. I completely forgot about that guy. I wish it was on Lollipop already, but maybe they're ironing out some kinks in it. It looks like a pretty solid option, too. More expensive, for sure, but maybe something that would last me awhile longer than the others.

Just returned the Dell tablet last week. I bought it with the intention of keeping the device two years but after reading February, March, and even April on an update, I just became too skeptical that Dell would deliver. As for the tablet itself, the screen is beautiful and ridiculously thin. Battery life trumped the 9, 7, and Shield. Not sure what Dell/Intel did with this thing but they sure got it right. Aside from Maxx Audio (I disabled) and the blueish tint in the settings menu, Dell left the tablet pretty much stock which is nice. You're looking at about 9GB free what I can remember. I loaded up several big games and a ton of apps without issue. Most will say the camera is gimmicky and that may be but I personally never opened it. Taking pics on a tablet is not for me so that's never a deal breaker when I'm looking for a tablet. Some complained about chin on the device but a non-issue in landscape when I used it. Cases are limited at this point but the Moko I bought from Amazon served it's purpose well.

I've been through a half dozen Nexus 9's over the last two month's from Amazon, a Shield Tablet, 2 2013 Nexus 7's, and the Dell tablet. I finally found a 9 without crazy light bleed that I plan to keep (My wife just shakes her head on all the back and forth I've been doing with these tablets). If your okay with KitKat and don't mind waiting on an update, give the Dell a shot. Had the 7000 shipped with Lollipop out of the box, I think this tablet would have swayed many Nexus 9 & Shield tablet users it's way. It's nice to see a manufacturer like Dell try something different and will be interesting to see what they do with a 7000 refresh.
    03-19-2015 03:48 PM
    Just returned the Dell tablet last week. I bought it with the intention of keeping the device two years but after reading February, March, and even April on an update, I just became too skeptical that Dell would deliver. As for the tablet itself, the screen is beautiful and ridiculously thin. Battery life trumped the 9, 7, and Shield. Not sure what Dell/Intel did with this thing but they sure got it right. Aside from Maxx Audio (I disabled) and the blueish tint in the settings menu, Dell left the tablet pretty much stock which is nice. You're looking at about 9GB free what I can remember. I loaded up several big games and a ton of apps without issue. Most will say the camera is gimmicky and that may be but I personally never opened it. Taking pics on a tablet is not for me so that's never a deal breaker when I'm looking for a tablet. Some complained about chin on the device but a non-issue in landscape when I used it. Cases are limited at this point but the Moko I bought from Amazon served it's purpose well.

I've been through a half dozen Nexus 9's over the last two month's from Amazon, a Shield Tablet, 2 2013 Nexus 7's, and the Dell tablet. I finally found a 9 without crazy light bleed that I plan to keep (My wife just shakes her head on all the back and forth I've been doing with these tablets). If your okay with KitKat and don't mind waiting on an update, give the Dell a shot. Had the 7000 shipped with Lollipop out of the box, I think this tablet would have swayed many Nexus 9 & Shield tablet users it's way. It's nice to see a manufacturer like Dell try something different and will be interesting to see what they do with a 7000 refresh.
    Our wives could probably hang out and discuss for hours the mental issues their husbands have when it comes to tech. I am VERY anal when it comes to build quality. I just returned a Thinkpad Yoga because it had a bit of light bleed. It was just too annoying for me on an $800 computer.

Speaking of which, I keep wavering between Chromebook/Android Tablet or 2 in 1 Windows laptop. The laptop seems like overkill though, for what I want. We have a family computer as it is.

I'd LOVE a Nexus 9, if I was guaranteed one without issues. I don't want to play Russian Roulette with them. It is perfect for me otherwise.

But this is what had me looking at the Nexus 7 and Shield again. Especially on Amazon since I have a $100 gift card. I also really like the latest and greatest, and Dell has me worried that they won't update their tablet properly. Like you said, if it released with Lollipop, it would be the winner. But it's been going on 4-5 months since Lollipop was released and still nothing concrete. The Shield is almost guaranteed to be updated like a Nexus device, as long as the hardware can handle it. And at this stage, I think it's a crap shoot as to how long the Nexus 7 will keep being supported.

If I could guarantee a perfect Nexus 9, I'd get that. Otherwise I think it's down to the Shield and Chromebook or a Windows 2 in 1.
    03-19-2015 06:31 PM
    Hi,

Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but it looks like you guys were discussing my current conundrum, and I was hoping you might shed some light on how things turned out in you own cases.

My Nexus 7, which I loved since I got it at it's original launch, is suffering from poor battery health, and I'm currently considering options. Since it's running long in the tooth, I was thinking that instead of a quick fix battery replacement that I might take the chance to upgrade. My first candidate for replacement is the Shield K1 since it's come down in price and still plenty peppy.

I'm not really interested in spending much more than $200, which rules out the 9 or even the cheapest iPad. Going to be used mainly for watching TV/movies, so the screen is number one, and having enough grunt to decode the newest codecs at 1080p. The 7 did that fantastically when I got it, but it's kinda studdering with the high-def AVC, let alone HEVC...

I also want stock or as close to it as possible, which leaves choices limited too. Wish I could just use my iPad Air 2, but my wife commandeered it, and won't give it back, so that's out...

Please let me know what you ended up deciding on in the end, and how it's worked out for you for the year or so since this thread was last posted to.
    04-12-2016 03:29 AM