Nexy 7 2013 Will NOT Power Up: Only displays "Google"

ArcticFamily

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 7 (2013) - Fully charged, will not power-up. Display will go to a white "Google" but just stays there.

Recommendations?

Update: Factory Reset Errors out... power-up still does the same thing... get's stuck at teh "google" startup screen

Last edited:

mondoconni

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I am experiencing the same situation. My 2013 Nexus 7 will not boot. Screen powers up but never gets past the Google logo. I've tried to perform a full erase and factory reset from recovery mode but it fails every time. Looks like I'm not alone according to many tweets and some blogs. I bought my Nexus 7 in August 2013 so it is no longer covered by Asus warranty. If this is becoming a wide spread issue I hope Google or Asus will provide us with a solution instead of turning their backs on the situation.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 24571.jpg
    24571.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 24570.jpg
    24570.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 47

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
I used my protection plan and had to get a new tablet. My Nexus continuously said erasing nafter i tried a factory reset and couldnt get past it. It spent hours and hours on the "erasing" screen and would do anything else. They didn't have the Nexus 7 any more so I had to get a Samsung Galaxy tab s 8.4. Its good so far, I guess I just have to get used to it.

Philip600rr

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me, 2 tablets Rekt! Called ASUS 1st they wanna charge me $200.00 per tablet for repair and Google said to call ASUS. I will never ever buy anything google branded or nexus branded again!!!!

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It's odd that this is happening now, but not to everyone. There doesn't seem to be any real common thread to all this, which makes me think there's a batch of Nexus 7s that are susceptible to hardware failure; some quality control issue that made it past inspection because it requires time and use to appear. It would be nice if Asus would step up and try to help figure out what's going on. I don't think Google has much control over this, honestly. They just contracted with Asus to build the tablet, and don't control the hardware.

I know people are saying that the Lollipop update causes this, but again, it's too sporadic to be strictly a software issue. My guess is something in Lollipop just hastens the hardware failure. Either way, I hope Asus does right by those impacted.

Gw0lgn

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
One thing I noticed about my nexus 7 on lollipop is it runs far hotter than it did on KitKat even streaming video makes it really hot, doing the same thing on KitKat and it stayed cool. I wonder if anyone else noticed that, and could these failures be the result of thermal issues?

flyinion

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I know people are saying that the Lollipop update causes this, but again, it's too sporadic to be strictly a software issue. My guess is something in Lollipop just hastens the hardware failure. Either way, I hope Asus does right by those impacted.

There are numerous threads on this on the Google Product Forums. Mine is one of the affected ones. Thing is, if it's truly just a hardware problem, then Asus is screwing over people getting their tablets repaired too because there are also reports of repaired tablets (the entire logic board has to be replaced) failing again within a few weeks.

John Herron

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
My Google Nexus 7 (2013) tablet just crashed this month also - same thing - frozen at the Google start-up screen. I'm really bummed - l loved my Nexus 7 up until this point. It's just over 18 mos. old (bought it direct from Google) - hardware and software should last longer than that. I noticed it was frozen on the ‘Google’ boot-up screen a few weeks ago. Browsed around the web for fixes, then emailed and spoke to both Asus and Google support folks this weekend when those fixes didn't work. Today I see this post and others on the web that many other Nexus 7 users are experiencing the same problem this past month, as their Nexus 7 tablets crashed while updating to the newest version of Android.
I’m REALLY disappointed that when I called Asus AND Google support, neither admitted this was a common issue. This was an automatic Android update, not one I chose to do. So I think Google should take responsibility for releasing an update that crashes so many tablets.
I went through the series of steps Google has on their website for restoring frozen android tablets - soft reboot, hard reboot, wipe the cache, restore the old system. After called support, out of desperation I even tried flashing the ROM myself when the ASUS rep said I could either send it in and pay $100+, or try it myself. I think I did that correctly, but it didn't work either. Nothing has changed - still with a frozen tablet that can only say 'Google' - there's a lousy advertisement!
Now as I read the new threads on the web, and see others with the same cache error screen, I'm convinced that Google (and Asus) broke my $200+ tablet - it can't be coincidence that so many Nexus 7's have failed this way, this month..

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Seems like it either has to be a software glitch, or poor quality flash memory on the main boards. I have the same issue, just got mine back yesterday unrepaired from ASUS. Ordered an inexpensive used main board to fix it myself, hopefully it lasts at least a little bit. Still debating about whether to revert to 4.4 until at least 5.1 is out for the N7'13

linelendur

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Yeeup, same basic issue. Night before last, picked up my tablet and it won't boot past "Google." Can get to the bootloader menu, but when I select "Recovery Mode", it reboots and...gets stuck at "Google." :(

The wug toolkit did help me speed up getting 5.1 onto my N4, and dealing with the driver mess there, so at least there's that?: -\

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

I thought of that article when I read this post and the others like it here but couldn't remember where I had read it. Thanks for posting the link. It seems that there are a lot of hardware issues coming to light. The other is USB charging port boards going bad. Some videos on YouTube on how to replace them if anybody needs help with that issue. I was affected by that one.

MacFon

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
On 3/15 my Nexus7 was stuck on Google screen, a few days after the Lollipop update. I sent it in to ASUS and was told it needed a new motherboard, at a cost of $205.00. Luckily I used my American Express card to purchase the Nexus7, so I had it repaired and filed a claim with Amex. Today a credit of $269.00, the full purchase price, was applied to my card. KitKat was on the tablet when it was returned. It will be staying there.

Gw0lgn

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
My nexus 7 is unaffected so far and its just over a year old but won't buy Asus again as I have had touch screen problems on 3 nexus 7's. Reading around the web about this new issue affecting the nexus 7 the silence from google and Asus speaks volumes, I don't own any Apple gear myself but if this were happing to Apple devices I think the media would be all over it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2