Can I tether my Nexus 7 (2013 2nd gen) via ethernet to my router?

James Francis Kenny

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Can I tether my Nexus 7 (2013 2nd gen) via ethernet to my router

Hiya!

I do some online gaming using my Nexus 7 (2013 2 gen) and whilst my wifi is fairly stable I know some gamers use tethered connections on their devices to get much faster gaming speed.

I've just bought an ethernet to micro usb connector before actually searching for whether this would actually work - I just assumed it would! - and at first glance there doesn't seem to be a way to tether my nexus 7 via ethernet at the moment because i am on 4.4.4 KitKat.

I realise there is a fix in the lollipop upgrade that re-enables this but lollipop and the game I am intending to play do not get along - it's super slow.

So being stuck with KitKat 4.4.4 is there an apk I can get to re-enable ethernet tethering to my router?

The device initially came with Lollipop already installed and I had to spend many noobish hours on my first night backrolling the device to KitKat 4.4.4 and rooting the device.

All help gratefully received!

J

Edit -

It seems to be working after downloading the "ethernet" apk from the play store which requires root access (possibly why bob hasn't flagged it?) and each time the device is connected via LAN to the router I need to boot the app and force it to find the connection.

Thanks

Last edited:

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can I tether my Nexus 7 (2013 2nd gen) via ethernet to my router

Are you asking about using a physical ethernet cable for your internet connection? Tethering usually refers to something like sharing a mobile phone's data connection via wifi.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can I tether my Nexus 7 (2013 2nd gen) via ethernet to my router

You are using something like this, correct?

Amazon.com: BobjGear USB to RJ45 Compact Fast Ethernet Adapter made for Android Tablets; also works with Ultrabooks, Windows, Linux, Mac, ChromeOS, Android TV Sticks MK802, MK808, UG802, UG007, iMito, Favi. EXCEPTIONS listed in Description below. Bob

BobjGear is a good dealer and he would post under his product if there was such an app available and he hasn't (he has very recent posts there, too).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX