Why does my Tablet hang on wifi setup after factory reset?

Danney Webb

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Tablet hangs on wifi setup after factory reset

My wife's Nexus 7, 2012 I believe, hangs on the wifi setup screen after I did a factory reset on it. I have the same tablet that is working and we have two android phones that are working with the wifi. This unit however after choosing English as the language just stays set on "searching for wifi networks ...". If I choose "other network" and enter in the SSID and password I always get the message, "failed to save network". Any help to get past this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Tablet hangs on wifi setup after factory reset

Welcome to Android Central! Even though other devices are connecting fine, try rebooting the router (by unplugging its power, waiting 10 seconds, and plugging back in again).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

How about temporarily turning off the router's encryption?

Danney Webb

May 6, 2015
Visit site

I don't know how to do that. I have Linksys Smart Wi-Fi. I went through all the settings but couldn't find anything about encryption.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

By encryption, I mean the router's security (i.e., WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.). There should be a way to turn off the security in the router's settings.

Danney Webb

May 6, 2015
Visit site

Okay I tried again after turning off security from WPA/WPA2 PSK to NONE but it still would not connect. I think something is wrong inside the tablet. Would it change anything if I did the "three finger" factory reset again?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Frustrating. Can you try it on some other wi-fi network, like your local Starbucks?

Danney Webb

May 6, 2015
Visit site

Thank you B. Diddy, after some trial and error, I was able to flash Android 4.3 onto the tablet today. Everything seems to be working now. This is a great resource. Danney

1eggebek

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site

Hi Danney,

I'm having this same problem now. How did you manage to get access to the Nexus' settings if you weren't able to get past the wifi login page? Thanks for your help.

John

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

John,

If you look at post #10 you'll see the link for flashing the firmware - that apparently solved the OPs problem.

Be sure you know which device you have (2012 vs. 2013) so that you get the correct firmware.

You could also try wiping the system cache in Recovery mode prior to flashing the firmware.