I've got an N7 2012 and my wife is interested in getting a tablet, but she's not sure how much she'll use it so I don't want to spend a lot. I'm still pretty happy with my 2012 (especially since I rolled back to 4.4.4 after the 5.0.x disaster) and I'm thinking about getting her a 2013 which I can pick up new from Amazon for ~$125 (16gig) or so or even get a lightly used one. To be perfectly honest, she may even say I should keep the newer one and pass the 2012 to her.

Is this still a worthwhile purchase or is there something out there I should take a hard look at? The 2013 is still often cited as the best small tablet out there when I read review comments.

Thanks for your help.
    DLK1 likes this.
    12-31-2015 11:16 AM
    I say absolutely go for it. For that money you can't go wrong. And buying it from amazon is always a plus with their O questions asked returns if you get a defective one. Mine is running great on marshmallow too. It is still a very fast great little tablet.
    12-31-2015 11:29 AM
    I would say go for I got on from GroupOn for $99.00 I love the thing to death. I unboxed it and it had Lollipop on it I immediately flashed it to Marshmallow using WugFresh - Nexus Root Toolkit. Theses are such a good price you may want to upgrade your 2012 also.
    12-31-2015 01:24 PM
    Definitely. If you're not a serious gamer (and thus need the improved graphical power of newer chipsets) the N7 is plenty fast for pretty much any tablet need. It's true that it won't get the next version of Android, but Marshmallow works great and you should get the update notification for it right away at this point (probably get a small security update first, then the 6.0 update).
    12-31-2015 01:43 PM
    For me, worth every penny. I suggest you go for it.
    01-01-2016 05:04 PM
    I say go for it! Try these Groupon links!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=I_Cf_q3x
    UncleLes likes this.
    01-02-2016 07:24 PM
    Ordered one from Groupon. Should be here in a week or so.
    Strange that the no travel cover option is more expensive than one with a cover (which I probably won't use). I'll get a decent cover instead of the likely inferior one they'll send.

Thanks to all for your feedback!
    01-06-2016 11:50 AM
    My 2012 N7 recently went into a boot loop and I've tried everything to get it out of it. At this point I'm pretty sure it's an eMMC failure. So I've been eyeing that groupon for a while. I wasn't really using the old N7 very often anymore because the performance was getting so bad. Even after factory resets it would eventually degrade to the same state in less than a month. I used it more for comic reading and chromecasting but I think at that price it'd be worth it. And yeah, it's weird that the pink cover option is the cheapest. Oh and the case appears to be the official Asus one that came out at launch. Reviews aren't kind so getting something better sounds like a good idea.
    01-07-2016 04:09 PM
    Yeah, the covers that come with the Groupon Nexus 7s are awful (got one for my mother-in-law for Christmas). They don't even wake the tablet up when you open them, like any decent cover will do.
    01-07-2016 04:13 PM
    New N7 2013 arrived in great condition on Friday! I was surprised that it came with 5.1 Lollipop loaded and almost immediately updated to 6.01 Marshmallow and downloaded a security patch as well. So far, so good as far as performance goes. My wife seems happy for now to read on the Kindle app, but I'm sure she will get around to doing some other stuff with it soon. I haven't had much time to fool around with it, but I will be comparing my 2012 with it.

Yes, that case is the Asus official case, and it is a piece of junk, especially in pink. I see a new one in our future.

The deal has expired at Groupon, but I almost wish I'd gotten two!
    01-11-2016 10:50 AM
    Was debating on getting a Nexus 9 or holding out for the rumored Nexus 7 2016 reboot - but decided to pick up a Mint Condition (not even used) one on Swappa for $105. Since Marshmallow has arrived and security patches will be available for awhile, still think it is a good buy - especially since Cyanogenmod looks to have some builds as well after official Google support ends.
    net62957 likes this.
    01-12-2016 10:20 AM
    The deal on Groupon expired but they put the same deal up again a few days later. Same options.

Anywho mine came yesterday. Spent the evening setting it up and removing the old one from my account. Pretty nice so far. Very noticeable improvement in performance and the screen. Really liking it so far. Everyone in the house is making fun of it being pink. I'll definitely be getting another case.

Posted via Android Central App
    01-14-2016 10:55 AM
    It is such a great little tablet I have had mine since shortly after they came out and it has been one of my favorite devices ever. I originally had a 2012 Nexus 7 and was hesitant to buy the new one as it didn't seem like much of an upgrade. That is until I actually got to try it in person. I bought one the next day. Now more than 2 years later it is still going strong and is still my go to tablet. I still don't hesitate to recommend these to friends and family when they say they need something cheap.

My only word of advice is be gentle on the USB port. it is a bit delicate and prone to failure. Mine is still working but definitely on its way out. Still the one nice thing is if it ever does completely fail at least you can still wirelessly charge it, but getting large files on and off of it will definitely become more of a chore.
    02-02-2016 08:08 AM
    My 2012 N7 finally gave out after I cracked the screen. I replaced the screen but now I get absolutely no picture whatsoever, only sound....

I've seen the 2013 N7 on eBay for about $115 brand new with free shipping. I'm going to go for it. I was going to get the N9 but I love the size of the N7...
    And at that price, why the hell not.

Android Central App
    Nexus 6
    02-06-2016 05:51 PM