Laptop recognizes Nexus 7 as a media player device?

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I recently had my OS (Win7) re-installed. I noticed that afterwards, when I tried to connect my Nexus 7 to the laptop (for the first time in several months), it got recognized as a media player device and when I opened it, there was only blank space. I couldn't copy any files on the tablet, as there was an error appearing (can't copy files). I also tried uninstalling the drivers, but nothing happened.

Luckily, I was able to fix the issue after 1 hour of searching the Internet for a solution. I went to "About tablet" > "Build Number'' and after several taps, a message said that I became a developer. I went to the newly appeared developer options and enabled USB debugging from there. Afterwards, when I connected the tablet to my laptop, I was finally able to see the files on it and transfer the file I wanted. However, I am curious what the problem might be, as months ago I was able to connect the tablet without having to go through all of this. Any idea what has changed?

I have to mention that I am using the original OTA cable and that the tablet is running on Marshmallow (6.0.1). Tablet isn't rooted. All my laptop drivers are up-to date and other devices connect to it flawless. Maybe something changed with the latest Android update? Hope that you can help me. Thank you and appreciated.

Last edited:

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I recently had my OS (Win7) re-installed. I noticed that afterwards, when I tried to connect my Nexus 7 to the laptop (for the first time in several months), it got recognized as a media player device and when I opened it, there was only blank space. I couldn't copy any files on the tablet, as there was an error appearing (can't copy files). I also tried uninstalling the drivers, but nothing happened.

Luckily, I was able to fix the issue after 1 hour of searching the Internet for a solution. I went to "About tablet" > "Build Number'' and after several taps, a message said that I became a developer. I went to the newly appeared developer options and enabled USB debugging from there. Afterwards, when I connected the tablet to my laptop, I was finally able to see the files on it and transfer the file I wanted. However, I am curious what the problem might be, as months ago I was able to connect the tablet without having to go through all of this. Any idea what has changed?

I have to mention that I am using the original OTA cable and that the tablet is running on Marshmallow (6.0.1). Tablet isn't rooted. All my laptop drivers are up-to date and other devices connect to it flawless. Maybe something changed with the latest Android update? Hope that you can help me. Thank you and appreciated.

It could be the different OS on the tablet being recognized as something different this time around.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital