Nexus 7 Data Recovery!

A

AC Question

Hi guys!
Today, after almost two years of my Nexus 7 (2013) serving me unfailingly, I repaid it by dropping it flat on its face, with a bone-crunching smack that echoed through the entire house. When I turned it over, it had a fine web of cracks across the screen. Most of the cracks are under the surface. Display and system operation is still working at optimum level, however the touchscreen is entirely unresponsive.
As I said before, I've had this tablet for a long while and it's time for me to get another one: I am not looking to repair it. However, there are files on the tablet that I would really like to recover. I know my way around tablets/android/etc fairly well as I have been running it on phones and tablets since it was first released in the UK.
I tried connecting my Nexus to my PC but unfortunately the default usb connection setting default is 'charge-only' so I cannot access the files through my PC.

Can anyone suggest a way of me recovering these files?
If it is of any help, my model is the 16GB 2013 Nexus 7, and is currently running the most recent patch of android 6.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try using a USB mouse over an OTG cable. You could then connect the tablet via wi-fi and upload those files to your Google Drive.

JacobtheRabbit

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi, me again! (Had to make an account to reply)
Would that work? I would've thought I would have to access permissions on the actual tablet before it allowed a wireless mouse to control it... Will get my hands on an OTG cable anyway, they seem cheap. Thank you for the suggestion, would never have thought of that!!