only one charger works now? max is 1.9 v.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
i have a voltage monitor, so i can see how much any machine consumes power.

i changed all kinds of charger, even the original asus charger doesn't work any more. i can plug it in, it will charge for the first few seconds, then it will stop charging.

i only have a charger that seems to work most of the time, the max voltage is 1.9 v. what is the normal voltage?

i also have a battery charge monitor in the tablet, the "charge current" is almost always in - sign. when i use some chargers, they seem to turn the screen on a few times every minute.

it seems that i can still charge the tablet if i turned it off.

is it because something is wrong with the tablet itself or it is time to change the battery? how long will the tablet last if i change a new battery?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Nominal USB charging voltage is ~ 4.5v. What voltage does your monitor display when just reading the charger(s) voltage (without connecting the cable to the tablet)? If the monitor reads ~4.5v and when you connect the cable to the tablet, the voltage drops to 1.9v, then it could be any myriad of things .... either the cable, charger, monitor, tablet charging port, the tablet charging port electronics, or the tablet battery. Being a 3yr old tablet you'd expect it to be a battery problem, but then the charging electronics regulation still shouldn't allow such a large voltage drop. You might have more than one problem in the tablet.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
it doesn't matter if it is on or off, i can only use one particular charger, (not the asus charger) to charge it. and the max voltage is always 1.9 v.

if i use other chargers including the original asus charger, the voltage monitor shows 0 v almost all the time. once in a while, it will work for a little bit.

now i don't know if i should replace the battery or buy a wireless charger or buy a new tablet?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
now i don't know if i should replace the battery or buy a wireless charger or buy a new tablet?
Depends on what you're into it for: if it's a learning experience, buy the battery and if that doesn't work then get the wireless charger (or replace the micro-USB port); if you just want an inexpensive tablet, the nVidia Shield K1 is still probably the best deal out there (although it'll probably never get Android 7.x, unless you use something like CM).

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If your showing 5 volts prior to plugging it in and its dropping to 1.x volts or 0 volts your shorting the cable out. Sounds like your USB port is damaged.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
no, the voltage monitor has never shown the charge at 5.0 v.

when i plug in the usb cable, most of the time, the monitor will show around 1.9 v immediately, after less than one minute, the voltage will decrease until the monitor shows 0-0.5 v.

once in a while, if i get lucky, the monitor will show about 3.2 v. and it sometimes keep it that way until the battery is fully charged.

most of the time, i have to plug and unplug the usb cable several times before the monitor shows 1.9 v at a constant rate .

-----------

i don't know the actual problem, is it the dying battery or the bad micro-usb port?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
i don't know the actual problem, is it the dying battery or the bad micro-usb port?
Not really an easy way to tell without investing some $
- get a wireless charger: this will eliminate the micro-USB port, but not the battery or charging circuit
- get a battery: this will still leave the micro-USB port or charging circuit as possible culprits
- get a replacement micro-USB port

Or just spend the money on a replacement tablet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawiss