Tablet in-car install questions

RickJames8

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello all-

I am installing a tablet (Nexus 7) behind my dash, so all wires will out of sight, out of reach.

I'd like to be able to do the following:
1. Obviously have an output to an amp (wired or via BT)
2. Have a rear-cam come on when the car is in reverse (wired or via BT)
3. Tether my data connection from my phone (Bluetooth preferred)
4. Be able to answer my calls through the car audio system.

I can figure out how to get some of the pieces, but not all at once. Ideally, I'd like all these things to auto-connect.

For audio, I can either use the simple 3.5mm jack, or I can use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSUWCZ0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=15ZUEPOEP88K&coliid=I17JUEYAIFJ8HK&psc=1 It auto-connects.

I tested tethering my phone tonight, but the few car-based interfaces didn't seem to relay my calls.
Now, I thought about using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MSS6CS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AW0QPVPZ0SFIC in the usb port, so I could plug in a mic, but again, I'm not sure what SW would support this.

I am pretty sure the Nexus 7 supports USB OTG, so I should be able to run more than one device off the port, but...

I have read that the USB OTG Charging Hubs don't always link the peripherals and charge at the same time, or at least things need to be plugged in using a particular sequence - my plan is to have everything always plugged in, and power will be connected/disconnected with the ignition. So I'm not sure if that would work. Ideally, I'd like to use an RCA-out camera through the USB port. But i could go a bluetooth cam, but then am I hooking up too many bluetooth items?

I'm hoping for as much of this to be automatic as possible. I don't want to have to get in and pair several devices each time I get in the car. That would get annoying fast. :)

I prefer not to use WIFi tethering because of the phone drain, but I guess I could.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz