Nvidia Shield or Wait Nexus 8/9?

David Gerhart

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I know someone who has the Shield Tablet and games go onto the SD card or they can. Not sure if they install there by default and have to be moved or what.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I have to say I'm a bit torn here. I currently have a 7" Kindle Fire HDX which I am not thrilled with. I bought it mainly for the Prime video support but now that is available on other Android tablets as well.

The shield tablet looks great due to its price and the controller accessory, but the Nexus 9 has the slightly larger display, quicker Android updates and the keyboard accessory.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the advantage goes to the shield.

1. For the entry price of the Nexus 9 you can get the fully loaded Shield (32GB + LTE). $200 difference
2. Stylus
3. Better front camera could be nice for video chat (who cares about the back camera)
4. Shield Controller (lower latency than generic blue tooth options), Twitch support, Stream gaming from your real computer, Games that are better than normal (HL2, Halo).....
5. Expandable memory (Throw an additional 128GB into the nexus 9? Nope, can't do it.)

The Nexus 9 has a better screen but the increased resolution is marginal and likely wouldn't be noticed unless your doing a side by side comparison.

The biggest reason for the Nexux 9 is Android L. But that will come to the Shield at some point anyway. There could be some app issues with Android L's new runtime for a while anyway. Oh, and the Nexus 9 keyboard would be nice if you plan to get real work done on it.

Add to the list mini-hdmi port out. I dislike mhl adapters ever since my Sgs3 days. mhl adapters are very finicky, work with some phones, not with others. I just want to plug my tablet into a tv to play a movie or a game, not deal with that hassle.

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Add to the list mini-hdmi port out. I dislike mhl adapters ever since my Sgs3 days. mhl adapters are very finicky, work with some phones, not with others. I just want to plug my tablet into a tv to play a movie or a game, not deal with that hassle.
It's a good thing it has a mini hdmi because it's hard right now to get support for the full screen cast function on Chromecast on non nexus devices.

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I
5. Expandable memory (Throw an additional 128GB into the nexus 9? Nope, can't do it.)

Whoa, for some reason I thought the N9 had a micro-SD slot! I must have read it in a leak and assumed it was true. That may be a problem for me. There's no way I'm spending$479 for a 32 gig N9. But 16 gigs is probably not enough space. I used to have a 16 gig iPad and I always regretted not having 32 gigs.

Now I'm torn again...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Whoa, for some reason I thought the N9 had a micro-SD slot! I must have read it in a leak and assumed it was true. That may be a problem for me. There's no way I'm spending$479 for a 32 gig N9. But 16 gigs is probably not enough space. I used to have a 16 gig iPad and I always regretted not having 32 gigs.

Now I'm torn again...
You are correct. In the days leading up to the official announcement it was rumored to have an sdcard. But knowing Google's stance on sdcards I knew it had to be false.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

Now I'm torn again...

For folks concerned about storage, two questions... Doesn't Google give Android users 15gb of cloud storage on their drive for free? And, doesn't the latest OS prohibit app storage on removable SDs, whereas, it can only be used for media and files?

J

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
For folks concerned about storage, two questions... Doesn't Google give Android users 15gb of cloud storage on their drive for free? And, doesn't the latest OS prohibit app storage on removable SDs, whereas, it can only be used for media and files?

J

Android Kit Kat prohibit Apps from being stored on SD cards since the Fat 32 SD card format doesn't have security inside Apps that the main Ram does have. Fat 32 format on SD cards were never designed for security for devices that had modems. That means any App you give permission to store data on a SD card can access any other Apps or picture on your SD card.

Storage info From Wiki;

Google offers all users an initial 15 GB of online storage space, that is shared across three of its most-used services: Google Drive, Gmail, and Google+ Photos[6] (aka Picasa Web Albums).[7] Users can upgrade their free 15 GB account through a paid monthly subscription plan to get additional storage.[7] Documents using Google Docs native formats (including .gdoc, .gslides, and .gsheet) do not count towards this quota. In Google+ Photos, photos of resolution less than 2048 x 2048 pixels and videos shorter than 15 minutes also do not count towards this quota.[8]

As of 13 March 2014, storage plans offered by Google, are all charged exclusively in US$ so any customer outside of the US will need to pay exchange charges, are as follows.

Storage Price
15 GB Free
100 GB US$ 1.99 per month
1 TB US$ 9.99 per month
10 TB US$ 99.99 per month
20 TB US$ 199.99 per month
30 TB US$ 299.99 per month

Google Drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Android Kit Kat prohibit Apps from being stored on SD cards since the Fat 32 SD card format doesn't have security inside Apps that the main Ram does have. Fat 32 format on SD cards were never designed for security for devices that had modems. That means any App you give permission to store data on a SD card can access any other Apps or picture on your SD card.

Storage info From Wiki;

Google offers all users an initial 15 GB of online storage space, that is shared across three of its most-used services: Google Drive, Gmail, and Google+ Photos[6] (aka Picasa Web Albums).[7] Users can upgrade their free 15 GB account through a paid monthly subscription plan to get additional storage.[7] Documents using Google Docs native formats (including .gdoc, .gslides, and .gsheet) do not count towards this quota. In Google+ Photos, photos of resolution less than 2048 x 2048 pixels and videos shorter than 15 minutes also do not count towards this quota.[8]

As of 13 March 2014, storage plans offered by Google, are all charged exclusively in US$ so any customer outside of the US will need to pay exchange charges, are as follows.

Storage Price
15 GB Free
100 GB US$ 1.99 per month
1 TB US$ 9.99 per month
10 TB US$ 99.99 per month
20 TB US$ 199.99 per month
30 TB US$ 299.99 per month

Google Drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks Shilohcane!

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

If I understand you correctly, an app can't be installed on an SD card. But can data for an app be stored there? I assume movies and songs can be stored there. What about comic books downloaded in the Comixology app?

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If I understand you correctly, an app can't be installed on an SD card. But can data for an app be stored there? I assume movies and songs can be stored there. What about comic books downloaded in the Comixology app?

You can do both on Nvidia devices, they support app and app data move if the app supports it. Devices like Shield and Tegra Note. They provide a special version of ES file too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1