Nexus 9 : NVIDIA lets the cat out of the bag in lawsuit !!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me wrong I have a 2012 Nexus 7 with a Tegra 3 processor that right now won't give me more than 40 minutes a day of use which makes it almost useless
Is this something you always experienced from day one or is it just possible natural battery depletion after years of use? EDIT: I saw your updated post saying this was slowly developed.

FWIW, my Nexus 7 (2012) which I've had for over a year now still holds a great charge usually at least 2 days or more idle and I get very good usage times regardless of movie watching, web surfing or just playing some games.

I wouldn't blame this completely on the Tegra 3 chip, sure it can have some impact but you have to factor in display and other variables.

Also I use the Tegra Note which runs the Tegra 4 chip and I get as good or if not better battery life on that tablet over my N7.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So is the Nexus 9 the 64-bit Android L launch device? :)
Sounds like it to me. The pieces of the puzzle all fit. NVIDIA claimed that the new Denver (64 bit) version of the Tegra K1 chip was being developed and tested using Android L. NVIDIA also holds the claim to the first 64 bit chip on Android (Tegra K1 Denver). And Nexus releases always seem to be the introduction of a new OS...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't Google be the one that would announce the Nexus 9?
That is normally the case but I think (my opinion only) the NVIDIA lawsuit leaked out details of this that under normal circumstances would of remained quiet until the proper announcement was made.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like it to me. The pieces of the puzzle all fit. NVIDIA claimed that the new Denver (64 bit) version of the Tegra K1 chip was being developed and tested using Android L. NVIDIA also holds the claim to the first 64 bit chip on Android (Tegra K1 Denver). And Nexus releases always seem to be the introduction of a new OS...
Get hyped, people :D
The K1 already stomped everything on the market. Wonder what the dual-Denver cores will be like :eek:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Is this something you always experienced from day one or is it just possible natural battery depletion after years of use? EDIT: I saw your updated post saying this was slowly developed.

FWIW, my Nexus 7 (2012) which I've had for over a year now still holds a great charge usually at least 2 days or more idle and I get very good usage times regardless of movie watching, web surfing or just playing some games.

I wouldn't blame this completely on the Tegra 3 chip, sure it can have some impact but you have to factor in display and other variables.

Also I use the Tegra Note which runs the Tegra 4 chip and I get as good or if not better battery life on that tablet over my N7.

Good to know the the Tegra 4 chip wasn't the power hog that the Tegra 3 was. I was all excited about the Tegra K1 that Nvidia said was very power efficient. That power efficient all went out the window with Android Central Podcast that said it was too power hungry and runs too hot to every be in a cell phone. I think the K1 will have the best graphics on the market with it's 4x Kepler multi-GPUs cores of any processor but I want very good power efficiency over graphics since the games I play won't have major graphics (Clash of Clans).

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Good to know the the Tegra 4 chip wasn't the power hog that the Tegra 3 was. I was all excited about the Tegra K1 that Nvidia said was very power efficient that all went out the window with Android Central Podcast. I think the K1 will have the best graphics on the market with it's CUDA multi-GPU cores of any processor but I want very good power efficiency over graphics since the games I play won't have major graphics.

The Shield has great battery life. And the K1 does have the best graphics processor on the market. The 64-bit version of the K1 uses the same GPU AFAIK. All they change is the CPU from a quad-core 32-bit CPU to a Dual-core 64-bit CPU.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The Shield has great battery life. And the K1 does have the best graphics processor on the market. The 64-bit version of the K1 uses the same GPU AFAIK. All they change is the CPU from a quad-core 32-bit CPU to a Dual-core 64-bit CPU.

That's true about the battery life. But if the rumors are true, 1600p screen means gaming won't be the same as the Shield Tablet. That's my biggest beef as I'm really looking for a good gaming tablet abs the nexus might not be it.... I might have to go with the shield of rumors are correct.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

nexxusmaxx

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm still loving my 2013 nexus 7, but I'm always in the market for another good tablet if its a good one, especially a new nexus! I'm torn though, between the n9, the shield tablet and the Dell Venue 8 7000 which is the slimmest tablet in the world and has incredible specs. Its 8.4" w/1920 by 1200 and a good snapdragon processor I think. I forget which one... Plus kit-kat and its already been announced. To be honest though, I think I will go with the nexus if they unveil it soon... There's just something about a nexus....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
That's true about the battery life. But if the rumors are true, 1600p screen means gaming won't be the same as the Shield Tablet. That's my biggest beef as I'm really looking for a good gaming tablet abs the nexus might not be it.... I might have to go with the shield of rumors are correct.

If you are going for a gaming tablet, put your money on the Shield Tablet w/ wireless controllers. You won't be disappointed. Especially if you are loaded up on your personal computer w/ a GeForce GPU then you can enjoy even more that the combo offers in terms of streaming and other neat things.

Nexus 9 will no doubt be a great performing tablet but its designed as " all around " and not specifically at gaming like the Shield Tablet makes as its first priority.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Really excited for this tab. Been waiting for it for a long while now. While I do like my Nexus 7 (2013), I would like a larger screen. 8" is good, 9" would be fine as long as the bezels are somewhat slim. I'd like to be able to use the tab one-handed, but don't expect that to be possible with the screen size increase.

I just hope that it has a nice metal build, similar to HTC's phones. That would give it that extra premium feel to it. I know it probably won't happen, as it'll probably be a budget device again, but I'd love to see it.

The legal document leaked saying Q3, which ends in two weeks. Hopefully that's true and we hear something in the next week or two.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It actually depends on the company/organization. Most retailers/some banks end it after January to account for the Christmas season. The US Federal Government starts on the day you posted.

I see...

So now I've gone from thinking we're only two weeks away from the reveal to possibly a month and a half away from the reveal.....Thanks a lot Golfdriver.... :p

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty excited to see this tablet. My n7 2012 is starting to be long in the tooth, and I'd love to have a good excuse to replace it with something beautiful!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
If you are going for a gaming tablet, put your money on the Shield Tablet w/ wireless controllers. You won't be disappointed. Especially if you are loaded up on your personal computer w/ a GeForce GPU then you can enjoy even more that the combo offers in terms of streaming and other neat things.

Nexus 9 will no doubt be a great performing tablet but its designed as " all around " and not specifically at gaming like the Shield Tablet makes as its first priority.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a nexus from HTC as I'm a big HTC fan. But I just can't do it if rumors are correct about a 1400p or 1600p screen.

I no longer have a computer (my last gaming rig I built was 7 or 8 years ago), so I'm not going to stream from my own network. Grid sounds nice, but I'm in NYC so it might not be all that.

But I'm looking for a great tablet for some movies and Android gaming. With the new nexus, I fear that it won't be the same as a Shield. Plus the Shield has a fantastic controller that I'm willing to replace my Moga with.
So yeah, I doubt that come October (when I'll have enough money to buy a tablet) I'll by the nexus (or wait some more for it). But you never know, they better announce it soon so I can buy something quick.... Been wanting a tablet since the TN7 last November, but it just wasn't worth buying like the new Shield.