Google's Nexus 9 is made by HTC and coming very soon

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
From Android Central:
http://www.androidcentral.com/google-and-htc-close-launching-nexus-9

From The Verge:
Google's Nexus 9 is made by HTC and coming very soon | The Verge

"The imminent release of the Nexus 9 has also been confirmed by sources speaking to The Verge. No further specs or details are known about the device just yet, but it's reasonable to expect Google will unveil its new tablet alongside the full public release of the big Android L update."

And the Wall Street Journal:
HTC Returns to Tablets with Google Nexus Partnership - Digits - WSJ

"HTC engineers have been flying to the Googleplex in Mountain View in recent months to work on the project"

So The Verge have gotten info from their sources that the release in 'imminent'. I guess that we should be seeing it in a few weeks. WSJ say that HTC's engineers have been flying to Google's Mountain View campus in recent months to work on the device. All signs looking pretty clear that this is a thing and it's coming soon. Strangely, we've barely heard a peep from it. Usually stuff leaks out pretty frequently (especially Nexus stuff which we had seen absolutely everything about prior to launch), but this HTC Nexus 9 has been staying under the radar for a long, long while.

We don't know if it'll be a metal or plastic build, we haven't seen any images of the device at all. We've seen the keyboard leak, and a few spec sheets, but all that is up in the air.

One good thing is that according to the WSJ, Asus saw great profits with the Nexus 7. Hopefully the struggling HTC can achieve a similar success story with the Nexus 9.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Any chance there will be a Verizon version? I'm pretty pesimistic...

Well there was a Verizon Nexus 7 wasn't there? So I would say there's hope!

I am excited for this. I have been wanting a bigger tablet for a while now and I haven't been interested in the options currently available. I am hoping something comes out by the end of October.

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I bet it will be a very good device but because HTC is involved you can expect the bootloader and rooting process will be made very difficult....

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I bet it will be a very good device but because HTC is involved you can expect the bootloader and rooting process will be made very difficult....

Being a Nexus device, HTC will have nothing to do with the software. HTC are just building the hardware to Google's specificications and Google do everything from the software end.

If it's hard to unlock the bootloader and root, then that's Google's fault.

Last edited:

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Well i'm looking forward to whatever it is and whoever makes it. My Nexus 7 (2012) is really showing its age and i'm looking to get my upgrade!

But seeing as i own the HTC One (M8) and i'm extremely happy with it, i'll very much be happy with another HTC device.

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Being a Nexus device, HTC will have nothing to do with the software. HTC are just building the hardware to Google's specificications and Google do everything from the software end.

If it's hard to unlock the bootloader and root, then that's Google's fault.
Hhmm if you say so but I remember reading somewhere that all devices are going to be harder to root so as soon as I saw HTC I presumed they would make it harder , I have a nexus 7 which was easily rooted but my HTC one sv was a bit more tricky because the system partition is read/write protected so I'm just speaking through experience..

Scotlac

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
One of the main purposes of the Nexus line is to give developers a bare bones Android framework to work from.

I can't imagine that they would make it difficult to unlock and root.....

Posted via the Android Central App

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

I would have to say that your statement is wrong. I had my brand new HTC ONE M8 unlocked, rooted, s-off'd and Dev Edition converted in 35 minutes after I had all the required downloads. They make it very simple actually. If you had an issue, it's because of your carrier, not HTC.

Posted via Android Central App

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I would have to say that your statement is wrong. I had my brand new HTC ONE M8 unlocked, rooted, s-off'd and Dev Edition converted in 35 minutes after I had all the required downloads. They make it very simple actually. If you had an issue, it's because of your carrier, not HTC.

Posted via Android Central App
Okay I'm just saying that newer phones are going to be harder to root and even chainfire from XDA has said it aswell... So whether or not HTC is involved its google that will make it harder as well.

Nexuspoint

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The n9 looks ridiculous especially with that Tegra K1 SOC! And Android L out of the box??? I want this! Lol...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar