Anyone else disappointed by the Nexus 9?

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of disappointed by the new crop of Nexus devices this year, particularly the Nexus 9. Android Lollipop looks like it's going to be fantastic, but I won't be buying the new Nexus devices. The Nexus 6 seems too big and both devices seem too expensive. I thought the point of the Nexus program was to deliver a pure Google experience at a super low cost?

As for both devices, I'm disappointed with the use of the Tegra K1 Processor because they're only going to have 2 GB RAM. What's the point of having a 64-bit processor if you're not even going to take full advantage of it? Obviously I'm not asking for 6 GB of RAM, but more and more phones are coming out with 3 GB RAM so it would be nice to see Google catch up. Or, even better, Google could have blown the competition out of the water by releasing the first phone and first tablet in history to come with 4 GB RAM. But if they just wanted to go with 2 GB RAM I would have been fine with it if they didn't bump the price up to a ridiculous amount. Couldn't they have just nixed the super expensive K1 Processor to bring it back down to a more comfortable price?

But although I wouldn't use a 6-inch phablet, I'm okay with the Nexus 6 because it does feel like a total improvement over the Nexus 5, even though it costs twice as much as the N5. Most of my disappointment is targeted toward the Nexus 9. For a 9-inch device it should have cost less than the Nexus 10. Sure, it has a K1 processor, but upgrading the processor is just par for the course when releasing a new device so I don't think it warrants such a high price tag.

It's nice that it has an 8 MP rear camera with flash, but come on, anyone who uses their tablet to take pictures looks like a skadoosh. And the 1.6 MP front-facing camera annoys me. Most people use the front-facing camera on their tablets far more than the back-facing camera, since on a tablet the front-facer is more useful since you can use it for video calling in Google Hangouts or for taking selfies. To me it at least doesn't look as awkward to take a selfie on a tablet than it is to hold up a tablet and use the back-facing camera. I wish they put their money into upgrading the front-facing camera. At the very least, if you're making video calls in Hangouts, a 1.6 MP camera doesn't cut it. I don't know, I for one would like to look presentable when video chatting.

Also, the screen kind of sucks. I don't mind the 4:3 aspect ratio, but I do think Google hit gold with the 3:2 aspect ratio of the Chromebook Pixel. I think 3:2 is the best compromise between 16:9 and 4:3, and they should have stuck with that ratio for the Nexus 9. 3:2 looks better while watching movies and it's still square enough for reading magazines or PDF's. Also, a 3:2 ratio would have set the Nexus 9 apart and made it that much more unique. More importantly, the pixel density is a huge step down from the previous Nexus tablets. Every source states that it has a 245 PPI screen. I'm sorry, but what the heck? After TWO YEARS, the Nexus 10 STILL has the highest pixel density of ANY 10-inch tablet. And for a while, the latest Nexus 7 had the highest pixel density of any tablet ever, and while it's been bested in that department, at 323 PPI it's still one of the sharpest tablet displays out there.

All in all, I just don't think the Nexus 9 is an improvement over the Nexus 7 or the Nexus 10. The Nexus 7 2012 completely changed the Android tablet landscape and the Nexus 7 2013 was and still is a premium device at a ridiculously low price. The Nexus 7 is still a much better deal than the Nexus 9. At $399, the Nexus 9 is probably going to get lost in a sea of similarly-priced 9 to 10 inch devices. The market is flooded with $399 tablets, and I don't think the Nexus 9 has what it takes to stand out among the crowd. Sure, the processor is good, but they're not taking advantage of it. HTC's BoomsSound speakers seem nice, but otherwise it doesn't have any other specs that really stand out. After over a year the Nexus 7 2013 is still one of the best tablets ever made and it's also the best deal you can get for a tablet. I had plenty of incentives to upgrade from my 1st gen N7 to the 2nd gen, but I just can't justify upgrading to the $400 Nexus 9. Even if I had a Nexus 10 I wouldn't upgrade to the Nexus 9. :(

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing.

One comment, just because they opted for only 2 gb of ram that makes the K1 processor under utilized? Optimization by the processor and its resources play a big role here. I still believe if the 2 gb was an issue it would of been addressed and bumped up.

Ivan Shingler

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes, disappointed by it, the specs are sub par and i have a feeling you/we are paying Nvidia tax on it, the screen should have been qhd for this price, then maybe it would warrant its asking price, as it is it looks like a step back over the n7 in every department except screen size, even the n7 got wireless charging, not the 9? So odd, stuff removed and specs lowered apart from maybe the CPU maybe.

Posted via the Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes, disappointed by it, the specs are sub par and i have a feeling you/we are paying Nvidia tax on it, the screen should have been qhd for this price, then maybe it would warrant its asking price, as it is it looks like a step back over the n7 in every department except screen size, even the n7 got wireless charging, not the 9? So odd, stuff removed and specs lowered apart from maybe the CPU maybe.

Comments taken. But it is what it is.. Like it or don't buy it, its completely your choice. As Moderator Darth Spock suggested you could opt for the NVIDIA Shield Tablet for SDCARD support and what it offers in 32 bit flavor Tegra K1.

Ivan Shingler

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I looked at the shield tablet, I see it has a warm colour cast to the screen which I would hate, if whites where white I would have had one, I base my buying choice primarily on screen quality as its the only thing you have in front of you when using a tablet, then specs, that's why n9 is such a let down to me, even the phone got qhd :-(

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm really disappointed in the n9 too. I was planning on getting it but after seeing the specs/features I think I will pass. No wireless charging?? Come on.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I think its fine to be honest. And its up there with the competition for smallish tablets, which consists of Samsung, Nexi, and pretty much nothing else on the high end.

Posted via Android Central App

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The android tablet landscape this year has been a disappointment for me overall. I think I'd be more likely to buy an iPad over any of these and my current main phone and tablet are both android.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't know my Nexus 10 doesn't seem that old and battery life is still decent after all this time. It's 32gig and I like the 10.1 in screen for movies (my main use). It also has front facing speakers though probably not as nice as these.

I was all geared up to get this before but have kind of talked myself out of it.

Clashman

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I feel like Google and/or hardware manufacturers have gotten a bit spooked at the race to the bottom that seems to be taking place in the hardware industry. We've reached kind of a saturation point where very good tech is getting very, very cheap, and that means there is nowhere to go if you are a high-end hardware manufacturer that depends on the margins from those high-end devices. Seems to me like Google is trying to use the Nexus 6 and 9 to re-establish some benchmark pricing in the industry for the high-end. Whether it works or not is anyone's guess. Amazon also tried that route (opting to release a much more expensive device instead of one that could have literally been given away for free) and it didn't work all that well. Google's effort seems to be a lot less ham-fisted than Amazon's, even if I would have liked to see some slightly better specs or slightly lower pricing on the N9.

brandonr416

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
This is what I thought as well? How can the Nexus 7 2013 have wireless charging and the Nexus 9 leave it out? I have a few wireless chargers for my phone and i used for the N7 as well, very convenient. Such a value feature and makes it stand out. Yes I understand the price increase due to specs and screen real estate but double? N7 hit the sweet spot in the market and N9 has same ratio as the ipad mini, and looks similar too.

ced2334

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
my guess on why they left it out was because they intended to do an all aluminum body at first this being an HTC device and then decided to switch to a polycarb for whatever reason (probably cost related). Either way they problem ran out of time to integrate wireless after. Thats my guess anyways.

littleemp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
>> I thought the point of the Nexus program was to deliver a pure Google experience at a super low cost?

The original purpose was to deliver reference platforms for developers and it only offered cost-efficient solutions in the past two years.

>> Couldn't they have just nixed the super expensive K1 Processor to bring it back down to a more comfortable price?

Without the Bill of Materials I have no way to comment one way or the other on how nvidia is pricing their options.

>> For a 9-inch device it should have cost less than the Nexus 10.

An 8.9" 4:3 display has more usable screen area than a 10.1" 16:9, so there's no reason that it should be cheaper.

>> It's nice that it has an 8 MP rear camera with flash, but come on, anyone who uses their tablet to take pictures looks like a skadoosh.

I agree here, I would much rather it not have a back facing camera at all, but the problem is that there are literally hundreds of thousands of idiots who do use them for some reason.
>> Also, the screen kind of sucks. I don't mind the 4:3 aspect ratio, but I do think Google hit gold with the 3:2 aspect ratio of the Chromebook Pixel. I think 3:2 is the best compromise between 16:9 and 4:3, and they should have stuck with that ratio for the Nexus 9.

I honestly would have preferred 16:9, but I'll make do with 4:3.

>> After TWO YEARS, the Nexus 10 STILL has the highest pixel density of ANY 10-inch tablet. And for a while, the latest Nexus 7 had the highest pixel density of any tablet ever, and while it's been bested in that department, at 323 PPI it's still one of the sharpest tablet displays out there.

The Nexus 9 is 287 ppi, so it's not too bad. (Do the math yourself if you don't believe me)

>> The market is flooded with $399 tablets, and I don't think the Nexus 9 has what it takes to stand out among the crowd. Sure, the processor is good, but they're not taking advantage of it.

I don't think that's fair to say without actually using the device/newest version of android first.

>> After over a year the Nexus 7 2013 is still one of the best tablets ever made and it's also the best deal you can get for a tablet. I had plenty of incentives to upgrade from my 1st gen N7 to the 2nd gen, but I just can't justify upgrading to the $400 Nexus 9. Even if I had a Nexus 10 I wouldn't upgrade to the Nexus 9. :(

This is true, but after all the months of speculations and leaks I was already sure that these devices weren't for bargain hunters, so if what you want is just a solid performer for the cheapest possible, then you should get a Nexus 7 2013.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not disappointed at all. I think both the Nexus 9 and Nexus 6 look like stellar products. Looking forward to owning both of them.

Really looking forward to the Nexus 9 because:

- Love the design of it
- Love the dual front facing speakers (current HTC One M8 owner, the speakers are awesome)
- Love 4:3 aspect ratio and think it's better than 16:9 for larger tablets (certainly more usable in both orientations)
- Metal frame around the edge looks great for a nice premium touch on a Nexus tablet

My only concern is the processor. I hope it doesn't suck too much power. Hope the battery lasts a long while.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm not disappointed at all. I think both the Nexus 9 and Nexus 6 look like stellar products. Looking forward to owning both of them.

Really looking forward to the Nexus 9 because:

- Love the design of it
- Love the dual front facing speakers (current HTC One M8 owner, the speakers are awesome)
- Love 4:3 aspect ratio and think it's better than 16:9 for larger tablets (certainly more usable in both orientations)
- Metal frame around the edge looks great for a nice premium touch on a Nexus tablet

My only concern is the processor. I hope it doesn't suck too much power. Hope the battery lasts a long while.

I agree. I have read all of the complaints folks have had for this product and some make no sense, whereas, some can be cause for concern. The only gripe I have (and this was prior to it being announced) is price. I think the processor and memory is sufficient, the aspect ratio is fine at 4:3 (especially since the industry follows Apple's lead - Their tablets are 4:3), I'm ok not having an SD card slot since my N7 (2013) didn't have one and I can live without wireless charging (although, that is one feature I would have loved to have). I went from being drunk about seeing the N9 announced to believing the negative posts folks were leaving to saying, I'm on board with purchasing the tablet. I think it is a worthy upgrade and I'm looking forward to having a device that not only looks aesthetically appealing, but has the power of a 64-bit processor. There are LOADS of new tablets either released or coming soon... If you're not sold on this one, purchase a different Android tablet or wait to hear from Apple's event today. I'm sure they'll have a great tablet for you.

J

Brandon Rosonina

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I love nexus as much as this site does. But 2gb ram 6700 mah battery. Not sure if the display is the same as the nexus 5 but I get poor vewing angles. My moms 2011 Samsung tab 10 has 1 GB ram and a 7000 mah battery. When there are already 3 GB ram tabs out. I seriously am disappointed. I was hoping for nexus 10 type leadership in tablets with this.

Edit: I honestly may just get a deal 2013 n7 to have a tablet until something worthy comes out

Edit again: the nexus 10 had 2gb ram and 9000 mah battery !!!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon