Anyone else disappointed by the Nexus 9?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Can someone explain to me why we need "Wireless Charging?" Maybe it's just my ignorance, but don't you have to plug in a charging device to set the phone on? Someone at my office had a wireless charging station, and I think this wholly defeats the purpose... that charging station has a cable, AND it takes up more desk space than just plugging your phone in.

I'm not a fan of wireless charging either. You're forced to put it on the charging mat, so it makes no difference to plugging it in. If it could wirelessly charge anywhere on my desk then great, that's much better but requiring it to be on the mat is a fail to me. And lift up the device to check something, and charge goes.

Also I want my devices charged as fast as possible, another thing that wireless can't provide. Turbo charging is starting to get into more devices, which is great. The faster devices charge, the better. It's crazy to me that people willfully want their devices to take longer to charge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
You're disappointed by everything, and are completely biased against something you have never seen in person. Just stop.

Posted via Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Let's keep things civil everyone. No need to start pointing fingers of get personal.

Thanks!

Paul
Moderator Team Leader @ AC

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
People are just ignoring what a 64 bit CPU is going to provide trying to compare it to 32 bit tablets specs. The NVIDIA Tegra K1 64-bit processor is going to make the Nexus 9 the most advanced tablet on the market with visual effects. It's also the first mobile processor to run 'Unreal Engine 4' . This Industry standard 'Unreal Engine 4' is the next step in tablets technology for graphics that can't be done with with shading, 3D effects and image reflections with a 32 bit CPU. The Tegra K1 64-bit processor is going to provide the quality of graphics than were on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It not as good as graphics as the current Playstation or Xbox but that is only a due to lack of electrical watts and heat dissipation that prevents it from being at those levels. If you are a high end gamer on Android then the NVIDIA Tegra K1 64 bit processor was made for your style.

Unreal Engine 4 is a professional suite of tools and technologies used for building high-quality games across a range of platforms. Unreal Engine 4’s rendering architecture enables developers to achieve stunning visuals and also scale elegantly to lower-end systems.

Unreal Engine technology powers hundreds of games as well as real-time 3D films, training simulations, visualizations and more. Over the past 15 years, thousands of individuals and teams and have built careers and companies around skills developed using the engine. Read more here https://www.unrealengine.com/products/unreal-engine-4

Everyone talking about the PPI on the Nexus 9 can't see the Forrest for the tree that is in front of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD5cRnrMqWw
I smell a copy/paste job in there somewhere

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not disappointed at all. I have yet to see or hold the device myself to make an opinion. As someone who has owned the last two 7 inch tablets I will be getting the nexus 9.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
As mentioned above I had the Tab S 8.4 up until a few days ago when i sold it for either the N9 or iPad Air 2.... super high res, high DPI. The screen was indeed beautiful, but the entertainment industry is still pushing out 1080p video more than anything. I don't really see the need for higher than 1080p resolutions unless you have a collection of high res photos. Streaming video often looked just ok since it played below the native resolution, and compression was super visible due to the deep blacks of the superAMOLED (love hate relationship) I think the N9 res is the ultimate compromise. I think there is a reason the N9 and even Apple's iPad utilize that res even though the tech is there to go higher.

So wait, is it just Samsung's AMOLED screen, or does HD video look bad on any resolution higher than 1920 x 1080? Watching HD video on a large high-res monitor looks perfectly fine, although you're face isn't as close to a computer monitor as a tablet or smartphone screen. I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about video quality on the Nexus 10 (2560 x 1600) or the Chromebook Pixel (2560 x 1700), though. You said the compression was visible due to deep blacks... what exactly do you mean by that?

And since you owned the Tab S 8.4, which is the highest resolution tablet in existence (359 ppi), how much would you say having a high pixel density matters on a tablet screen? I could visibly see pixelation on my 1st Gen Nexus 7, and it was actually hard to read smaller text, while my 2nd Gen Nexus 7 looks crystal-clear no matter what. How much do you think the difference between the SHIELD's 288 PPI, the N7's 323 PPI and the S 8.4's 359 PPI actually makes? Not just in regard to watching video but also general use, such as browsing and reading?

My smartphone only has a 233 PPI screen and I can also see pixelation, though it's a bit clearer than the 1st Gen N7... My Samsung Chromebook is only 1366 x 768 at 11.6 inches but I don't notice pixelation as much since I don't have it as close to my face, but the screen definitely isn't as sharp when compared to my N7 or even my phone.

I'm asking this because I'm wondering if I'm putting too much focus on pixel density. I'm so enamored by the 2nd Gen N7's crystal clear screen that I've been looking at devices with more pixels, and that's one of the reasons I was originally disappointed by the Nexus 9.

littleemp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Except Google has stopped selling the Nexus 7(2013) for some reason.

You can still buy them from Amazon and a bunch of other places. If you're hunting for bargains, then something as silly as "No official availability from the Play Store" shouldn't stop you.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
So wait, is it just Samsung's AMOLED screen, or does HD video look bad on any resolution higher than 1920 x 1080? Watching HD video on a large high-res monitor looks perfectly fine, although you're face isn't as close to a computer monitor as a tablet or smartphone screen. I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about video quality on the Nexus 10 (2560 x 1600) or the Chromebook Pixel (2560 x 1700), though. You said the compression was visible due to deep blacks... what exactly do you mean by that?

And since you owned the Tab S 8.4, which is the highest resolution tablet in existence (359 ppi), how much would you say having a high pixel density matters on a tablet screen? I could visibly see pixelation on my 1st Gen Nexus 7, and it was actually hard to read smaller text, while my 2nd Gen Nexus 7 looks crystal-clear no matter what. How much do you think the difference between the SHIELD's 288 PPI, the N7's 323 PPI and the S 8.4's 359 PPI actually makes? Not just in regard to watching video but also general use, such as browsing and reading?

My smartphone only has a 233 PPI screen and I can also see pixelation, though it's a bit clearer than the 1st Gen N7... My Samsung Chromebook is only 1366 x 768 at 11.6 inches but I don't notice pixelation as much since I don't have it as close to my face, but the screen definitely isn't as sharp when compared to my N7 or even my phone.

I'm asking this because I'm wondering if I'm putting too much focus on pixel density. I'm so enamored by the 2nd Gen N7's crystal clear screen that I've been looking at devices with more pixels, and that's one of the reasons I was originally disappointed by the Nexus 9.

I thought the same as you, but honestly I don't think the screen ppi in the n9 would be any problem at all. We all saw how beautiful the n7 screen is and then started looking for devices with >300 PPI. in reality I doubt the n9 screen looks inferior to the n7's at all.

Paulski2203

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes its OK but nothing more and feels cheap also looks cheap ..... but its not cheap !. love my NEXUS 4 and expected similar but now wishing I read reviews before jumping in, expect the price to drop as it quickly fades away. No Ipad beater

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
My biggest disappointment was the build of the Nexus 9, but then again, it's a 9 inch tablet so most of us are just gonna put it in a case. Holding off from buying one just yet until they resolve the build quality issues. Looking at the price point, the 64-bit K1 probably bumps up the price significantly, but it's much better than the upcoming snapdragon 810. We wait for Geekbench to update to 64-bit and only then we'll see if A8X is better than K1. Even then, nvidia makes up for it with Tegra exclusive titles like HL2 and Portal. Back to N9, speakers seems OK, but not really a deal breaker because I usually carry a pair of headphones with me. Screen quality, the **** you guys complaining about? It's a decent looking screen matching the iPads resolution so devs could port apps easier, also most content online like YouTube videos are mostly 1080p, what are you going to be doing with a QHD display on a tablet? It would just increase the price even more and Google were aware of that.

People were also complaining about the tablet getting hot, but I think it's just the poorly optimized Android L which they should be working on. All tablets get hot btw, I had an iPad Air heat up from browsing and video watching.

Overall it sounds like a great tablet. Not something as cheap as N7, but still a great one.

kpiontek

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
What is disappointing is the quality control for a device that is priced at a premium.
I purchased a black 32GB Nexus 9 at BestBuy for pickup but ended up returning it. Couldn't exchange it since they didn't have another one.
The back of my Nexus 9 gave in about 2-3 mm over the whole Nexus print, and I'm not kidding. Light bleed was pretty bad on the left side of the screen in portrait mode. Had the Nexus 9 price been in line with previous Nexus products, say $370-399 for the 32GB model, I'd been inclined to overlook these things.
But HTC/Google chose to price it as a premium device and as such it didn't measure up to it. So from my perspective it is an embarrassment for HTC/Google to let these things go unchecked. This is supposed to be the showcase for Lollipop, and issues like I and others experienced diminish the value and tarnish the reputation of the Nexus 9. I hope that others manufacturers like Nvidia have now a chance to bring out their versions of the K1.
I liked the tablet, or shall I rather say Lollipop, the double tap feature, the front facing speakers and the form factor and size and battery life was good (~8.5 h of screen time with ~40% brightness and WiFi on), but given the quality issues that I experienced, the Nexus 9 was/is overpriced, IMHO. I would wait to see what others bring to the table or whether HTC can get these quality issues resolved.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
What is disappointing is the quality control for a device that is priced at a premium.
I purchased a black 32GB Nexus 9 at BestBuy for pickup but ended up returning it. Couldn't exchange it since they didn't have another one.
The back of my Nexus 9 gave in about 2-3 mm over the whole Nexus print, and I'm not kidding. Light bleed was pretty bad on the left side of the screen in portrait mode. Had the Nexus 9 price been in line with previous Nexus products, say $370-399 for the 32GB model, I'd been inclined to overlook these things.
But HTC/Google chose to price it as a premium device and as such it didn't measure up to it. So from my perspective it is an embarrassment for HTC/Google to let these things go unchecked. This is supposed to be the showcase for Lollipop, and issues like I and others experienced diminish the value and tarnish the reputation of the Nexus 9. I hope that others manufacturers like Nvidia have now a chance to bring out their versions of the K1.
I liked the tablet, or shall I rather say Lollipop, the double tap feature, the front facing speakers and the form factor and size and battery life was good (~8.5 h of screen time with ~40% brightness and WiFi on), but given the quality issues that I experienced, the Nexus 9 was/is overpriced, IMHO. I would wait to see what others bring to the table or whether HTC can get these quality issues resolved.

Actually, no offense, but this happens a lot with early adopters. The first run of any device can have loads of production issues. And, this isn't only the case with Android. Apple (which a majority of people in the industry deem the benchmark of "premium" devices) has had its share of issues on first run shipments. One of the biggest things they had issues with in the past was the iphone antennae, the rear casing scratching too easily, devices bending, etc... Keep in mind, it's bound to happen when companies expedite their products to retail. The determinant for purchase will be, have these known issues been resolved in the next batch of shipments. Sorry you've experienced issues, but sometimes it's best waiting to see how others are fairing with the device prior to making the purchase.

J

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Without wireless, charging is just inconvenient. Imaging if you car did not have an alternator and you had to put it on a battery charger every night to ensure it would start in the morning. I bet one would be late for work more than a few times, and be pretty unhappy when the car died in the middle of the day.

Great analogy!
Its like getting a never ending (sustaining) little bit of charge here and there during the normal usage of the device throughout the day. Strategically place the chargers where you generally put down your device while doing something and it Couldn't be more convenient.
Imagine every time you put your device down during your daily routine it is charging. Essentially you don't ever have to "worry" about charging anymore. Charging is no longer a separate scheduled (or forced) event.

After having the n7 for a year now I could never return to a device without wireless charging.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Actually, no offense, but this happens a lot with early adopters. The first run of any device can have loads of production issues. And, this isn't only the case with Android. Apple (which a majority of people in the industry deem the benchmark of "premium" devices) has had its share of issues on first run shipments. One of the biggest things they had issues with in the past was the iphone antennae, the rear casing scratching too easily, devices bending, etc... Keep in mind, it's bound to happen when companies expedite their products to retail. The determinant for purchase will be, have these known issues been resolved in the next batch of shipments. Sorry you've experienced issues, but sometimes it's best waiting to see how others are fairing with the device prior to making the purchase.

J

Early adopters? This is the 4th Nexus tablet from Google, it is not their first. I understand Google does not actually manufacturer the tablets, but there should have been a higher standard of quality control.

The Nexus 9 is overpriced for what it is by at least $100. It is not a premium tablet by any measure. And paying $80 for 16 more GB is just robbery.

Source: Google.

https://plus.google.com/+RonAmadeo/...6077893780644355842&oid=104025431341062052230

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FadNvh0LmSs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ArIVol4VEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNBK_jkciqg

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Early adopters? This is the 4th Nexus tablet from Google, it is not their first. I understand Google does not actually manufacturer the tablets, but there should have been a higher standard of quality control.

The Nexus 9 is overpriced for what it is by at least $100. It is not a premium tablet by any measure. And paying $80 for 16 more GB is just robbery.

Source: Google.

Yes, early adopters. Folks who had problems with iPhone antennae issues didn't experience it with the iPhone 1 but early purchases of the iPhone 4. It happens. If you don't want to experience issues with devices, don't buy them when they first get released.

J

kpiontek

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

J

True enough, although I would, for both of your examples for Apple, categorize them as design flaws. And I expected hiccups with software for sure.
"You're holding it wrong!" was Steve Jobs' answer, and maybe I held the tablet wrong, too. And both problem you mentioned could be solved with a case. Perhaps the spongy/floppy back is a design flaw/poor choice of material, and frankly, I could have lived with it, IF it hadn't been for the light bleed (although the solution could have been "Simply don't look at it". People called out Apple for the antenna problems and they addressed it. And I think we should hold HTC/Google to the same standard.
But besides all this, this was supposed to be a big launch, signaled by the premium price, the departure from the 16:9 aspect ratio, the new 64 bit SOC from Nvidia etc. and the return of HTC to the tablet market. What you would want in this case is to be perfect (as much as possible) as you try to establish a good reputation, if not as an "iPad killer" than as a serious contender, wouldn't you say so?
I understand that HTC had to compromise to keep the price competitive with Apple, and they did: no wireless charging, only Aluminum frame and not the whole case but a good, solid screen at this price should still be a given, and it wasn't in my case.
I'm an Android/Nexus fan, but not a fan boy and didn't drink the Kool-aid from Apple or Google, and don't plan to. I'm not the type who thinks the grass is always greener on the other side but I vote with my wallet in cases like this, the only power I have. But also, let's call a spade a spade. When you charge a premium, the quality has to match the premium, and it, frequently enough, doesn't with the Nexus 9.

Robert Ratskywatsky

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Reviews on Amazon are building up and so far they're not very good, average 3 1/2 stars, which is about the lowest for any of the major tablets.

Now I'm looking at the Ipad Air 2 - but so far it too seems to have its share of problems I see looking at their forum, like WiFi, and I'm also looking at the Samsung Tab S 10, which seems to have very good reviews, except that it doesn't have USB3 like some of their other models, so maybe I'll wait for an upgrade, as Samsung does those very frequently.

Last edited:

kpiontek

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Reviews on Amazon are building up and so far they're not very good, average 3 1/2 stars, which is about the lowest for any of the major tablets.

Now I'm looking at the Ipad Air 2 - but so far it too seems to have its share of problems I see looking at their forum, like WiFi, and I'm also looking at the Samsung Tab S 10, which seems to have very good reviews, except that it doesn't have USB3 like some of their other models, so maybe I'll wait for an upgrade, as Samsung does those very frequently.

Thanks for bringing up the problems with WiFi on the iPad Air 2.
I was considering the BestBuy Black Friday offer like a 64GB iPad Air 2 for almost the same as the 32GB Nexus 9. The "solution" for people seemed to either return the Air 2 (many did) or buy an AC router (which I already have). Undecided, just like you.
For the Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 there is a Cyanogenmod distribution, if you don't mind rooting your tablet, and there is a Black Friday offer for it at $199 (16GB).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool