Nexus 9 compared to Samsung - Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
How much better is the N9 than the Samsung - Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4?

I was looking forward to the N9 but am a little disappointed in the price and lack of SD card support.

I am thinking the Tab which is about $279. might be a better deal for me. Have heard there is a lot of bloatware on it but my only concern would be if it is slow. I find my N7 2012 to be getting a bit slow and if it wasn't for that ad my desire for a larger screen I would probably live with it a lot longer.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 9 has a significantly better CPU and a dramatically better GPU. The Tab 8.4 has trouble keeping up with its resolution in some games and the N9's GPU is about twice as powerful. The screens are comparable but the Tab 8.4 is 16:9 while the Nexus 9 is 4:3. Typically, 4:3 is better for manipulating documents or reading while 16:9 is better for watching movies. The Nexus 9 has the official keyboard cover which may or may not interest you. The N9 will also get Android updates quicker and for longer than the Tab.

If the pros of the N9 aren't important to you, then save the money and get the Tab.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I have the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. I was interested in an HTC Nexus tablet, but I don't like the aspect ratio and the price seems a bit high. I like that the GTP8.4 can actually fit into my pockets on some of my pants. It's not ideal, but it beats not having anywhere to put it.

I don't play any games on it but I've never experienced any bad lag while using it.

quadtronix

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
The Tab Pro looks good but if I was going the Samsung route I'd probably prefer to spend a little more cash and get the Tab S 8.4. I played with it a few times in the stores and that Super Amoled display is pretty awesome! Plus it's thinner and lighter than the pro. But I decided to go with the N9 because I prefer stock Android to touchwiz. Was thinking about the Tab Pro 8.4 though a couple weeks ago just cause it's a great tablet specs wise for a really good price...

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a Galaxy tab s 8.4 and I can tell you it lags and stutters and has frozen a couple times during heavy use. I feel almost like the $ was just for the screen and the thinness. It ran really well for the first week or so but after that it started to slow down (as is the case I've read with most galaxy devices. I purchased a nexus 9 and will probably sell the S when the 9 comes.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I have retired my 2012 Nexus 7 and just got a 2013 Nexus 7 replacement in September that I could re-gift to my kid. Back in August I got my wife the Samsung Tab S 10.5 and Super Amoled display is just awesome compared to my two Nexus 7. The 2013 Nexus 7 was just a stop gap plan since I couldn't wait for the Nexus 9 any longer playing my Clash of Clans games on my Nexus 5 phone.

I like using my wife's Samsung Tab S 10.5 playing my game but I'm not in love with the Samsung interface with a hefty dose of TouchWiz. When I am in my game it is great but Clash of Clans really doesn't push the CPU and the graphics are very simple. The same is true of the other game I play Auralux. I'm not going to bad mouth the Tab S but it isn't the tablet for me with TouchWiz. Also, I would freak out if I missed a Android update for 6 months waiting on Samsung to support their $500 device. I have a friend that got a Samsung Tab 2 10.1 that still stuck on Android v4.1 (Jelly Bean) and is upset at me for recommending it since he wanted a 10 inch screen over the smaller Nexus 7. Samsung has used OS obsolescence as a reason to get you to buy a new device. My friends Tab 2 is dinosaur with Jelly Bean.

I don't trust Samsung to keep up their Android OS updates and this is pushing me to the new Nexus 9. However I am not a fan of the Tegra 3 chip in my 2012 Nexus 7 that sucks the battery dry in a few hours and is now retired due to charging issues. I am going to wait for reviews from Android Central and others before I am going to buy a new Tablet. I know that Flagship performance Snapdragon 64 bit chips are coming in 2015 and I just don't know if I will ever need the graphic power in games I play. Not having a Qi charger ability was a negative to me about both Samsung and the new Nexus 9. I think the price of the Nexus 9 is good but it better have that 10 hour screen time they claim or I'm not getting it and will wait for a 64 bit Snapdragon in 2015. The Android Central reviews of the Nexus 9 could change that.

Last edited:

littleemp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
You're comparing apples to oranges here. Try comparing the Samsung to an Nvidia Shield Tablet.

But to answer your question (as best as I can, since I am a N7 2012 to N9 owner too), Touchwiz has always been unreasonably slow compared to similar devices and updates take forever to come (if they even come). Nexus devices will not come with SD Card support, so wishing for them and then being disappointed is an exercise in futility. The nexus 9 will most likely be the fastest Android device out there, which isn't an experience that Samsung can match.

That said, if you find for some reason Touchwiz to your liking and you don't mind staying in whatever Android version that device is currently in, then I guess it is a valid choice. I personally thought about getting the Nvidia Shield Tablet, but then took a step back and realized that what I really wanted was the Nexus 9 and that was all I needed in order to make my decision. (My personal philosophy for shopping is not to settle for something else if you don't want to experience buyer's remorse down the road)

austinography

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I just recently got the galaxy tab pro 8.4 and have been considering taking it back for the N9 since Google's announcement. The main thing that has me wanting to switch is that I want first crack at that sweet sweet Lollipop. But, when it comes down to it, that's not enough to justify the extra price, and losing the things I prefer on the galaxy tab. The things I think I prefer on the tab 8.4 over the N9 would be the aspect ratio, pixel density, and overall device size. I currently run the Google Now launcher, so the touchwiz impact is lessened while still enjoying it's perks, like multi-window. So, I will just remain patient and install a Lollipop ROM as soon as they come out.

CBreen28

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
This is driving me nuts. I can't decide on the Pro 8.4 or this as well.

Galaxy Pro pros: The price for the pro at 279 is really tempting. There's a lot of other stuff I need to buy so the extra 120 would go a long way. With a month gone in the season that's almost a year subscription to NHL Gamecenter. I just like the look of it too over the Nexus as well. I like how it's small and like someone said you could actually walk around with this in say a pair of basketball shorts pocket. My phone is a POS so this tablet will be on the go quite a bit.

Galaxy Pro cons: Great price but I don't know how pumped I am on watching 3 hour games on an 8.4 inch screen? The speakers aren't very loud either. Phone I have now is a POS so this would be used by me around me house to listen to podcast. I want good speakers because ear buds are a PITA IMO and I'm worried while doing dishes or in the shower I won't be able to hear it. Another con is lag. I'm super impatient and just like to really go crazy when on a device doing a bunch of different things so I'm worried the lag will drive me nuts. No amoled as well. I can live with this though as I really didn't mind the LCD the Pro comes with.

Nexus 9 pros: The 9 inch screen solves my 8.4 vs 10.5 dilemma I've having with the Galaxy tabs. Or does it? Does it really solve the issue or no do I just get a tab that's too big to be portable but too small to really enjoy movies/sporting events? sigh....One definite pro is boomsound. Love me some boomsound. Nothing more annoying them putting on the radio in the shower and I can't even hear what they're saying like on the Galaxy S3 I used to have. Another pro is simplicity..I'm a less is more person so Android 5.0 is very appealing to me....

Nexus 9 cons: I may be in the minority but I just think it's ugly. I'm also not sure on 4:3. Never used it and my my primary purpose of the tablet would be movies/video so 4:3 may not be for me, especially for sports? I have a feeling that even in landscape some stuff would be a cut off like say while watching a football game? Another con is $120 extra.

I'm sure I'll change my mind like 10x before I make a decision........ughhhhh:(:(:(:(:(

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy tab s 8.4 and I can tell you it lags and stutters and has frozen a couple times during heavy use. I feel almost like the $ was just for the screen and the thinness. It ran really well for the first week or so but after that it started to slow down (as is the case I've read with most galaxy devices. I purchased a nexus 9 and will probably sell the S when the 9 comes.

Honestly that's why I am selling my Samsung galaxy tab s 10.5 and got the new iPad Air 2 . The iPad has 2gb and all reports says a 3 core cpu. I think if I'm going to get a 4:3 ratio tablet I'll get the iPad Air with 128gb of internal memory. I might get the nexus 9 later because name android is appealing but I'm happy with my iPad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
This is driving me nuts. I can't decide on the Pro 8.4 or this as well.

Galaxy Pro pros: The price for the pro at 279 is really tempting. There's a lot of other stuff I need to buy so the extra 120 would go a long way. With a month gone in the season that's almost a year subscription to NHL Gamecenter. I just like the look of it too over the Nexus as well. I like how it's small and like someone said you could actually walk around with this in say a pair of basketball shorts pocket. My phone is a POS so this tablet will be on the go quite a bit.

Galaxy Pro cons: Great price but I don't know how pumped I am on watching 3 hour games on an 8.4 inch screen? The speakers aren't very loud either. Phone I have now is a POS so this would be used by me around me house to listen to podcast. I want good speakers because ear buds are a PITA IMO and I'm worried while doing dishes or in the shower I won't be able to hear it. Another con is lag. I'm super impatient and just like to really go crazy when on a device doing a bunch of different things so I'm worried the lag will drive me nuts. No amoled as well. I can live with this though as I really didn't mind the LCD the Pro comes with.

Nexus 9 pros: The 9 inch screen solves my 8.4 vs 10.5 dilemma I've having with the Galaxy tabs. Or does it? Does it really solve the issue or no do I just get a tab that's too big to be portable but too small to really enjoy movies/sporting events? sigh....One definite pro is boomsound. Love me some boomsound. Nothing more annoying them putting on the radio in the shower and I can't even hear what they're saying like on the Galaxy S3 I used to have. Another pro is simplicity..I'm a less is more person so Android 5.0 is very appealing to me....

Nexus 9 cons: I may be in the minority but I just think it's ugly. I'm also not sure on 4:3. Never used it and my my primary purpose of the tablet would be movies/video so 4:3 may not be for me, especially for sports? I have a feeling that even in landscape some stuff would be a cut off like say while watching a football game? Another con is $120 extra.

I'm sure I'll change my mind like 10x before I make a decision........ughhhhh:(:(:(:(:(

Has if you watched a movie or sport game on a tablet in 4:3 it will just be letterboxed. You won't lose anything . At least you don't on iPads

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I love Samsung products like my note 4 but Samsung tablets with the exynos cpu are terrible. Sluggish and can't play some basic apps like even Amex

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I've got no complaints about 4:3 videos, and I prefer 4:3 for my work, so I'm glad to see it on the N9.

I agree. Not having the 16:9 ratio for watching movies/tv is reasonable sacrifice if I can surf the internet and view documents in their native format. Even on 16:9 screens, depending on the film and its format, you have the potential to see black bars.

J

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Letter box is awful

It is really not that bad, certainly if you were buying a tablet to exclusively watch videos this could be a problem. To me the aspect ratio is not an issue at all, and each has pro's and con's depending on your tablet usage needs.

For my daily needs, which would be primarily web surfing, business use/travel, and some video watching the 4:3 is completely fine.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I love Samsung products like my note 4 but Samsung tablets with the exynos cpu are terrible. Sluggish and can't play some basic apps like even Amex

The tab pro 8.4 has a Snapdragon 800 chip in it.

I've heard bad stuff about the exynos chip but it's been fine in my tab pro 10.1

Posted from my nexus 7 2013

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The tab pro 8.4 has a Snapdragon 800 chip in it.

I've heard bad stuff about the exynos chip but it's been fine in my tab pro 10.1

Posted from my nexus 7 2013

Yeah realized I was thinking about the tab s lol . I never liked it and was very sluggish which is why I sold my tab s 10.5