Google Nexus 9 Is the display bad?

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is the display bad?

I'm not entirely sure. It has a 287 PPI display, which isn't too far off from 300 PPI. The closest comparison I can make is that my smartphone has 233 PPI and I can see the pixels when viewing text. But 233 is a lot lower from 287 than 287 is from 300.

It would be fine for watching movies and playing games, since at 2048 x 1536 it has a higher resolution than full HD, but for browsing and e-reading, I'm not sure how clear the text would be.

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm not entirely sure. It has a 287 PPI display, which isn't too far off from 300 PPI. The closest comparison I can make is that my smartphone has 233 PPI and I can see the pixels when viewing text. But 233 is a lot lower from 287 than 287 is from 300.

It would be fine for watching movies and playing games, since at 2048 x 1536 it has a higher resolution than full HD, but for browsing and e-reading, I'm not sure how clear the text would be.

Plus a bigger display. Either way, I bought it. :p super excited.

Posted via Android Central App

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Not at all. If you notice the new Apple iPad Air 2 has a ppi lower than the new Nexus 9. This tablet will rock...

J

Yeah, the iPad "retina" displays are 264ppi. The Kindle Fire HDX is the only tablet 8.9" or bigger that has a higher PPI display, and it has its obvious drawbacks. The 7-8 tablets do have higher PPIs, but 287 PPI is certainly not a bad thing.

littleemp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

iPad has 264 ppi, use that as a reference. (287 ppi is pretty good, I doubt you can tell the pixels apart unless you're splitting hairs and actively looking for flaws)

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

iPad has 264 ppi, use that as a reference. (287 ppi is pretty good, I doubt you can tell the pixels apart unless you're splitting hairs and actively looking for flaws)

Yeah, saw a 9.7 inch screen iPad at college today and it has a lower ppi than the Nexus 9 and it is still really good.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

My retina iPad is very good. These devices are at the point where you really cannot see the difference of a slightly higher density display at a normal viewing distance.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Doubt the display will be bad.

As others have mentioned, the PPI is certainly high enough and HTC have had extremely good panels in the phones, so I'm expecting another great screen here for the Nexus 9.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

They nailed the resolution for the N9. Anything higher will effect battery and performance. The IPad air has excellent ppi and the N9 has more ppi. I'm satisfied

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

They nailed the resolution for the N9. Anything higher will effect battery and performance. The IPad air has excellent ppi and the N9 has more ppi. I'm satisfied

So am I. I'm convinced this device will be everything I'm looking for. Heck, if it's marginally better than my current N7 (2013), I'd be happy!

J

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

With under 300ppi?

The iPad Air has a 268 PPi or something. The Samsung galaxy tab s 10.5 which is one of the best screens I've seen has a 286 PPi . It is only an inch difference so it should be great Imo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

I am not very worried about it, but this will be the first time I have had a device that was lower in PPI than the one it is replacing (the N7). I am just hoping that I won't see any difference when I put them side by side (which I will not be able to resist doing).

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I am not very worried about it, but this will be the first time I have had a device that was lower in PPI than the one it is replacing (the N7). I am just hoping that I won't see any difference when I put them side by side (which I will not be able to resist doing).

Bigger tablets tend to have a lower PPi because well they are bigger. Personally once you have and HD resolution screen I would just worry about if you like the screen size like to big or small and do you like 4:3 or 16:10 / 16:9 .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

True about the bigger screen, but I have always been a bit of a nut for pixel density, especially for small fonts, graphics, etc. My HTC One and Nexus 7 screens are so good that I can't see any jagged edges or visible pixels ever. I am hoping that will be the same.