I have a 32 GB Nexus 9 on order, but already have a Nexus 7 (2013). I mainly use my tablet for reading in bed and watching Youtube and Netflix. For both of those I would like a little more space. But I had an iPad Retina before and it was too big and heavy for reading in bed. (It hurt my wrist to support it for long times. And when I fell asleep and dropped the unit on my face that really hurt! :-<).

So I am wondering how many Nexus 7 (2013) owners are getting a Nexus 9. If so, why?

Jerry
    10-29-2014 04:41 PM
    If you get a good case for your nexus 9, you won't have to worry about dropping it on your face. It will probably be considerably heavier than the nexus 7, but should be great for reading, watching movies, etc. I currently own an n7 2012 and I absolutely love it (except that it's getting a little slow). If I had the choice, I would rather have the nexus 9 over my current iPad Air.

The only reason I could see to get a nexus 9 would be the bigger screen. You can use it to type like an actual keyboard instead of thumb tapping, and it's great for movies and reading.
    10-29-2014 05:05 PM
    I'm noticing that my Nexus 9 is pretty darn slow compared to nexus 5 and my xperia z3c, hoping that the N9 will be a big speed upgrade over the N7.
    10-29-2014 05:57 PM
    I'm noticing that my Nexus 9 is pretty darn slow compared to nexus 5 and my xperia z3c, hoping that the N9 will be a big speed upgrade over the N7.
    Is yours a 2012 unit? My 2013 is lightning fast. My 2012 started slowing down until I installed reflashed it with 4.3. That version enabled trim. Also, there have been fixes for the 2012 to help with the trim issue.
    10-29-2014 09:13 PM
    Dude!

• It's HOT!
    • I want to feel the power of the Darkside in my hands.
    • The icons in Android Central Quick Reply might finally be as large as my finger tip.
    • It's HOT!

I like my N7. Most people who see it thinks it's great too, until they find out it's not an iPad.
    I had a moment of post-pre-order regret as well as I consider I'm spending $200 more dollars than I did for this wonderful tablet that's traveled with me everywhere.
    I'm hopeful I can use the N9 on crowded trains... But will have to give up on transporting my tablet via cargo shorts pockets.
    Hmm. Other than vanity, why?
    Well 7" is pretty small. My stubby fingers are as big as some thumbs on other people. I need larger touch points.
    I'll also appreciate having larger ebook text without reducing the amount of text on screen.
    It's HOT!
    10-29-2014 09:23 PM
    Is yours a 2012 unit? My 2013 is lightning fast. My 2012 started slowing down until I installed reflashed it with 4.3. That version enabled trim. Also, there have been fixes for the 2012 to help with the trim issue.
    Minor typo but I was referring to my N7 2013. Major places where I see speed differences are SwiftKey can't keep up most of the time and it takes a long time to render Web pages. I've used it with a stock rom and with cyanogenmod, current versions on both. Especially compared to my Z3C there are big speed differences.
    10-30-2014 02:15 AM
    I have a 32 GB Nexus 9 on order, but already have a Nexus 7 (2013). I mainly use my tablet for reading in bed and watching Youtube and Netflix. For both of those I would like a little more space. But I had an iPad Retina before and it was too big and heavy for reading in bed. (It hurt my wrist to support it for long times. And when I fell asleep and dropped the unit on my face that really hurt! :-<).

So I am wondering how many Nexus 7 (2013) owners are getting a Nexus 9. If so, why?

Jerry
    I've been experiencing issues with my N7 (2013) since I purchased the device. Originally it was touch screen sensitivity (or lack thereof) and now it is having issues with the screen rotating. I found a quick fix, but it is annoying to have to do it every time I use the device. Since the N9 is coming soon, I'm kinda forced to get a new tablet. My N7 will continue to keep me going until I'm able to preorder or purchase the "Sand" version of the N9, but I will be giving the N7 to my daughter once I get my new toy

J
    10-30-2014 07:29 AM
    A few other reasons for purchasing the new N9 (for me):

- 4:3 screen - I know there has been a lot of complaints that it isn't "movie" friendly, but I do much more than watch movies on my tablet. Surfing the web, typing documents, etc... So looking forward to this!
    - Better front facing camera with 720p - Skype will look much better with this camera.
    - More powerful processor - Nuff said...
    - Sweet looking device - Ditto...

Don't get me wrong, I loved my N7 (2013) when it worked but I'm ready to move on. If you don't have problems with your N7, you may want to wait for next year's model. I'm checking Google Play store every day for the "Sand" version to become available. Credit card is already in hand.

J
    10-30-2014 07:36 AM
    My N7 2013 is the best tablet I've ever owned. Better imo than my iPad Air... That's WHY I'm getting the 9! If the 7 is this good, imagine how great the 9 will be! Google has won me over with the Nexus tablets ever since the N7 2012... Now if there's a Google Nexus tablet out they've got at least one guaranteed sale... Me! Lol...

Already ordered my 16GB N9 from Google Play... Can't wait to get it. I got the white one. Have a 32GB N7 2013 so I will be using both now... My iPad Air may just be retired if all goes well...
    10-30-2014 07:56 AM
    My N7 2013 is the best tablet I've ever owned. Better imo than my iPad Air... That's WHY I'm getting the 9! If the 7 is this good, imagine how great the 9 will be! Google has won me over with the Nexus tablets ever since the N7 2012... Now if there's a Google Nexus tablet out they've got at least one guaranteed sale... Me! Lol...

Already ordered my 16GB N9 from Google Play... Can't wait to get it. I got the white one. Have a 32GB N7 2013 so I will be using both now... My iPad Air may just be retired if all goes well...
    Congrats on your order! I'll be doing the same hopefully soon... Keeping fingers crossed!

J
    10-30-2014 09:27 AM

I know what you mean. I have a iPad retina and it is OK, but 99% of the time I reach for my Nexus 7 instead. Also, I an not a huge fan of the metal back of the iPad.
    quadtronix likes this.
    10-31-2014 07:29 PM
    My Nexus 7 (2013) is flawless, but absolutely I want the Nexus 9!

The Nexus 7 is always with me, but it's really nice having a larger screen. My eyes are getting old and I own a Nexus 10 for that reason, but the 10 has a bad habit of spontaneously rebooting itself. Besides, the 10 is a bit heavy and really too tall in portrait mode which is 90% of my usage.

I never watch movies on my tablet, what I do is primarily reading or web browsing, or document editing, so I love the idea of the new aspect ratio! I am a little worried about how the change in screen aspect ratio might affect a couple of my games, but hopefully all will be fine.

I plan to order the 32GB black. I always put book style covers on my tablets, so the back never gets seen anyway.

I could wish the Nexus 9 had screen resolution like the 7, I absolutely do notice the difference between the 7 and 10, but I think 288 ppi will be good enough.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    11-01-2014 10:59 AM
    No wireless charging is a shame. I don't even want the n9 just because of that as petty as it sounds.
    jerrykur likes this.
    11-01-2014 01:31 PM
    I'm in the same boat. For me it basically boils down to whether you want to switch to 4:3 or not. Everything else isn't really an issue. If apps start getting to intensive for N7 specs before the 2015 nexus tablet comes out, which I doubt, then I'll reconsider
    11-03-2014 07:32 AM
    No wireless charging is a shame. I don't even want the n9 just because of that as petty as it sounds.
    I don't think that is a trivial issue. It is one of the reasons I am reconsidering my Nexus 9 order.
    brosko likes this.
    11-03-2014 08:50 AM
    I have an N7 (2012 version) and also have the Note 10.1 2014. I'm going to get the Nexus 9 and sell the Note 10.1. My N7 is slow and I use it just to stream music and other content to other devices and use with chromecast. The reason I don't like the Note is because I'm spoiled and used to the pure android on the N7 and the minimal bloat that my Moto X has. I hate how much Samsung adds to Android (touchwiz blows IMHO). I also think the N9 size would be perfect for how I use a tablet.
    quadtronix likes this.
    11-03-2014 12:49 PM
    I don't think that is a trivial issue. It is one of the reasons I am reconsidering my Nexus 9 order.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one on here who loves wireless charging. Actually it was you who turned me on to it through this forum!
    11-03-2014 07:24 PM
    I had a 2013 and a few weeks ago it locked up and wouldn't boot. I also had a 2012, which my grandson dropped. The 2013 replaced that. Honestly, I never liked the 2013 as much as the 2012. I didn't like the longer screen and it just didn't seem as smooth. When it died, I sent it in to Asus, knowing full well I'd be too tempted by the N9. Asus repaired it at no charge, and I have it to my granddaughter, who had a 2012 that broke. She's thrilled. I'm thrilled with the N9. I love the screen size. I read a lot in bed and it's very light.

I have an HTC phone and really like their products.
    11-09-2014 07:35 PM
    I have to say, I'm loving the screen size of the Nexus 9, huge plus for me! Much easier to browse the web, read news on. As it turns out, the ppi downgrade is a non-issue, screen is lovely!

I'm older, a senior citizen, so having a larger device is so much easier on my eyes. I have decent close vision, being near-sighted, but even though I can use a smaller device, the comfort factor of the larger screen is great!

Still, I won't be selling the Nexus 7, it does have lighter weight and portability going for it. So whether to switch to this new device is probably a matter of personal preference. But I'm loving mine!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    11-09-2014 08:53 PM
    I looked at both and went with a 32GB 2013 N7 and couldn't be happier. The 4:3 screen is just not as vivid IMO as the 16:9. I also prefer smaller tablets.

I'd love for Google to make a revised 7 inch tablet, but not for a year or so - I just got the 2013 version!

Can't wait for Lollipop to drop on the N7.
    11-10-2014 07:57 AM
    I currently own the N7 2013 and I'm waiting for the "Sand" version of the N9 to become available. I loved my N7 but I'm having issues with the screen locking in particular orientations. The only fix I can use is turning off the device and pressing the back of it. Too much for me to keep this device. I'm moving on to a N9. However, if I didn't have this issue, I'd probably keep my N7 because of the expensive price of the N9.

J
    11-10-2014 01:05 PM
    I currently own the N7 2013 and I'm waiting for the "Sand" version of the N9 to become available. I loved my N7 but I'm having issues with the screen locking in particular orientations. The only fix I can use is turning off the device and pressing the back of it. Too much for me to keep this device. I'm moving on to a N9. However, if I didn't have this issue, I'd probably keep my N7 because of the expensive price of the N9.

J
    Is the issue with orientation application specific. A poorly coded application can sometime only display in a certain orientation. Also, some device do not detect orientation change when they are tilted back or forward.
    11-10-2014 02:27 PM
    Is the issue with orientation application specific. A poorly coded application can sometime only display in a certain orientation. Also, some device do not detect orientation change when they are tilted back or forward.
    I wish it were. It was killing me wondering why I was having this issue until I found a forum where others experienced this as well. The fix is to open your N7 and secure a plug within the unit. Once you do this, you will never have issues with rotating the screen. The quick fix is to simply power off your unit and push towards the "N" and the "S" then power back on. It fixes the rotation temporarily, but eventually you have to do it again. I'm getting the new N9.

J
    11-10-2014 03:23 PM
    I wish it were. It was killing me wondering why I was having this issue until I found a forum where others experienced this as well. The fix is to open your N7 and secure a plug within the unit. Once you do this, you will never have issues with rotating the screen. The quick fix is to simply power off your unit and push towards the "N" and the "S" then power back on. It fixes the rotation temporarily, but eventually you have to do it again. I'm getting the new N9.

J

What you described sounds like the cable to the orientation sensor. I have never had that come loose with my Nexus 7. Had to redo the battery and it's cable on my Nexus 7 (2012). But had similarly attached cables come off in my Mac and cameras. They are designed to snap in and require very even pressure to seat properly.

I hope your Nexus 9 does not have similar issue. So far my Nexus 9's orientation sensor has no issues, but the screen has a bright line along the top, so it is going back.
    11-10-2014 03:35 PM