11-03-2014 12:59 PM
33 12
tools
    The old Nexus 10 was a 10 inch tablet with a 2560 x 1600 screen at $399.

The new Nexus 9 is a 9 inch tablet with a 2048 x 1536 screen at $399.

I understand the Nexus 9 has a better SoC (which is expected since it's two years newer) but the decrease in size and resolution for the same price, I can't help but scratch my head over.

Why Google?
    10-30-2014 12:08 PM
    Well I would say it is due to the faster SoC as you said --- They don't base prices solely on screen size and resolution. They base it on many other factors as well.
    10-30-2014 12:23 PM
    The old Nexus 10 was a 10 inch tablet with a 2560 x 1600 screen at $399.

The new Nexus 9 is a 9 inch tablet with a 2048 x 1536 screen at $399.

I understand the Nexus 9 has a better SoC (which is expected since it's two years newer) but the decrease in size and resolution for the same price, I can't help but scratch my head over.

Why Google?
    Energy efficiency is better. Battery life is better. In hand feel is better. Weight is better. Display quality is better.

What's not better about the 9?
    Almeuit likes this.
    10-30-2014 12:24 PM
    Screen size and price are at best loosely related. It's the internals that usually determine how much something costs.
    10-30-2014 12:24 PM
    Compare to my Nexus 7 2013, I would say no. I look forward to purchasing the Nexus 9.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-30-2014 12:53 PM
    Well I sure wouldn't be disappointed over the N9's screen resolution. No wireless Qi charging is disappointing but I can live without it. The N9's 2048 x 1536 screen is overkill especially when I remember my 55" HDTV is only 1920 × 1080. I sure wouldn't buy a Nexus 10 over a Nexus 9 even with it's 2560 x 1600 screen. Fact is I would buy another 2013 Nexus 7 over a Nexus 10 since the Nexus 7's 1920 x 1200 resolution is good enough for me even on the Nexus 9.
    10-30-2014 02:49 PM
    Energy efficiency is better. Battery life is better. In hand feel is better. Weight is better. Display quality is better.

Screen size is worse. Resolution is worse. Storage isn't better. No micro-HDMI port. No wireless charging. Price isn't better. And if I wanted a 4:3 tablet I'd get an iPad.

It's devolved as much as it has evolved. No sir I don't like it.
    brosko likes this.
    10-30-2014 05:47 PM
    This year the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 seem content at being on par with the competition, instead of being better than the competition.

I'm getting a new tablet for myself this holiday season, and the Nexus 9... isn't it.

Maybe if it was sold at $299 I'd jump on it. But with its current specs and pricepoint, it just isn't worth it.

Nvidia Shield for me.
    10-30-2014 05:53 PM

No wireless charging! That's bs
    10-30-2014 07:36 PM
    I REALLY wanted the N9 to have a card slot.. pity
    phoenix623 likes this.
    10-30-2014 10:25 PM
    No wireless charging! That's bs

Yep. The only excuse I read for it not having it was that it's too big to fit on the charger, and that sounds like baloney to me. They come out with neat technology and then ditch it. So that's at least one thing that's INFERIOR to the N7.
    10-31-2014 01:20 AM
    I like my N7. It was one of the best buys I ever made. But now I want a tablet with a bigger screen, like 9 or 10 inches, and I don't know what to get. I'll wait and see the reviews for the N9 and the Apple. Is Samsung going to come out with something new? I have an old Samsung Galaxy 4.2" tablet that has been chugging along flawlessly (knock on wood - don't want to jinx it!) for years now.
    brosko likes this.
    10-31-2014 01:31 AM
    The price is a bit steep and/or storage is a bit low but I don’t get the fuss over the resolution or the screen size. A higher resolution is completely unnecessary (Apple certainly seems to think so) and it comes at the cost of battery life or thickness of the tablet. The 4:3 screen is much nicer unless you use a tablet mostly for watching videos (but still your movies will be displayed significantly bigger than on the Nexus 7). Also, the 4:3 screen currently sets it apart in the Android market, making it an especially interesting proposition for anyone who thinks that web browsing, reading documents, reading a newspaper and getting work done are more important than watching a film. And it’s still quite compact! This is something that I will want to put in my bag every day that I take the train to work.

I can understand though that this tablet is not everyone’s cup of tea, but for my needs it’s more interesting than any other tablet I’ve seen in the last couple of years. Finally a tablet that’s not like all the other Android tablets. Finally not more of the same.

If the reviews are really positive I'll go get it. Otherwise I'll go and do something that I thought I'd never do: buy an Ipad. The rest of the Android propositions are just not interesting to me. This Nexus 9 however is.
    10-31-2014 02:30 AM
    The thing about the nexus 9 is it interests us iPad people...........I have returned the new iPad Air 2 to Apple and I've ordered the nexus 9 instead. This, for me is the first android tablet that has got my interest.
    mclarryjr and Braylin Jones like this.
    10-31-2014 02:30 PM
    That was a given that it wouldn't have and card slot though.
    10-31-2014 08:20 PM
    Yep. The only excuse I read for it not having it was that it's too big to fit on the charger, and that sounds like baloney to me. They come out with neat technology and then ditch it. So that's at least one thing that's INFERIOR to the N7.
    The screen would be another.
    10-31-2014 08:21 PM
    I like my N7. It was one of the best buys I ever made. But now I want a tablet with a bigger screen, like 9 or 10 inches, and I don't know what to get. I'll wait and see the reviews for the N9 and the Apple. Is Samsung going to come out with something new? I have an old Samsung Galaxy 4.2" tablet that has been chugging along flawlessly (knock on wood - don't want to jinx it!) for years now.
    I have a Samsung galaxy tab 3 8 inch tablet for when I want the larger screen. For only an inch bigger than the n7 it sure seems alot bigger.
    10-31-2014 08:23 PM
    This is something I don't understand. Why do you people think that Nexus devices will have SD cards slots? You're setting yourselves up for disappointment every year, because it is NOT going to happen.
    brosko and MrSlippery519 like this.
    10-31-2014 09:14 PM
    I think you didn't understand...This discussion is about "Anyone disappointed by the Nexus 9". He/she KNOWS Nexus 9 won't have a SD card slot...
    11-01-2014 05:19 PM
    I think you didn't understand...This discussion is about "Anyone disappointed by the Nexus 9". He/she KNOWS Nexus 9 won't have a SD card slot...
    How can you be disappointed about something you know will NOT happen beforehand? It's kinda like eating a vegan meal and being upset/disappointed that it doesn't taste like bacon.
    11-01-2014 06:32 PM
    I am disappointed in the N9. I bought my N10 on launch day just over 2 years ago. I was hoping the N9 would be something worth "upgrading" to. But in my opinion, its not. Until my N10 battery gives out it will be my tablet of choice. It still works perfectly & does everything I need it to very well. And it will get Lollypop! I love the magnetic charge port on the N10 too. Faster charging & no worries of damaging a charging port. For N10 owners, I think the N9 is a disappointment.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10
    11-01-2014 06:56 PM
    seriously???...lol
    11-01-2014 07:55 PM
    seriously???...lol
    Yeah, um... Not!

J
    11-01-2014 08:01 PM
    Screen size is worse. Resolution is worse. Storage isn't better. No micro-HDMI port. No wireless charging. Price isn't better. And if I wanted a 4:3 tablet I'd get an iPad.

It's devolved as much as it has evolved. No sir I don't like it.
    Screen size being worse is an opinion.

Resolution is worse on a spec sheet.

Chromecast is better than HDMI for user friendliness (well, that debate could go either way I guess).

Wireless charging....the N10 has that?

Price is the same, hardware is better. That makes price better by default.
    11-01-2014 09:17 PM
    All of those things aren't objectively "worse." They're just worse for you. They're not worse for anyone and everyone. I have a Nexus 10. I've used it for a year, and I like it, but I leapt on the Nexus 9. Because:

• 16:10 doesn't make for a very comfortable-to-hold tablet. It's bulky in ways that the boyfriend's 4:3 iPad isn't.
    • Reading is less than ideal. I can get a two page spread, sort of, but reading in portrait is - again - bulky and hard to hold.
    • 16:10 is nice for videos, but I do more than watch movies on my N10. Lots more. I'll live with slightly larger letterbox bars just as I live with letterbox bars on most videos, now.
    • It's thinner and lighter than my N10. It'll likely get even better battery life.
    • The pixel dimensions are irrelevant to me; I can't see individual pixels on my Mac, my phone or my N10; I won't see individual pixels on my N9 when it gets here - good enough is certainly good enough, here.
    • I've never once used the HDMI port on my N10. It's vastly simpler to stream anything to the television in the living room over DLNA. On the television in our bedroom, we've got a chromecast. Wired ports are useless for me, here.

You're welcome to think it's not a good buy for you, but to argue that it's "worse" because it lacks an HDMI port I've never even needed, or the screen size is "worse" in ways most people never actually care about in use is silly. That it lacks expandable storage is neither here, nor there; so did my N10. That's not "worse" - it's simply Google's take that Nexus devices ought to have fixed storage. Maybe they feel like that's easier for folks to understand. Maybe they have some other reason; either way, Nexus devices typically don't have expandable storage, and none of the Nexus tablets have.

If you want something other than an N9, hang on. Google has said all over the place that they want Nexus devices to be reference devices for OEM's to improve upon.
    11-02-2014 05:33 AM
33 12