Google Nexus 9 FM Radio?

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
A lot of other tablets out there have an FM radio in them (the Z3 Tablet Compact) so I was wondering if the Nexus 9 has one. Has anyone heard of this?

Posted via Android Central App

littleemp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: FM Radio?

Hardly think that one tablet qualifies as a lot. You can be fairly certain that FM radio isn't part of the features, since I can't recall a nexus device that has had one in recent years (if ever? I don't use this nor pay any attention to it)

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

I was just thinking it would be nice for it to have one. I don't have one on my Z10 :( I think a few Samsung ones have it don't they?

Posted via my Z10 using Android Central App

littleemp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

I was just thinking it would be nice for it to have one. I don't have one on my Z10 :( I think a few Samsung ones have it don't they?

I honestly don't know man, it's not a feature that I care at all about (And I don't think many manufacturers do either at this point.) And to be fair, I don't think that it's a feature worth supporting in this day and age.

I am almost certain that FM Radio is not a feature that Google has ever included in a Nexus device or one that they even seem interested to support in any capacity. (I don't know of any FM Radio AOSP or Google apps)

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Nexus devices typically haven't had FM radio functionality in the past. I don't believe the Nexus 9 will have it either.

I can see why people would like it though. One of my older phones (can't remember which one) you could record the sound from the radio station you were listening to. Would come in handy because I'd hear a song I liked, so I'd quickly record it, then would identify it later on when I had time.

bmarvoz

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I'm not sure about the average user here, but I personally do like having the FM radio. My HTC One M7 has one and I find myself using it from time to time like when I want to listen to a radio show in the morning or when there's a hockey or football game that I can't watch at work or something.

I do know iheartradio can do this but its nice not using any data (even tho it may be minimal) ya know?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Nexus devices tend to be pretty stripped down on hardware support (no removal card, no hdmi ports, etc.). So not radios beyond LTE (if you buy the option).

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

Nexus devices tend to be pretty stripped down on hardware support (no removal card, no hdmi ports, etc.). So not radios beyond LTE (if you buy the option).

Ahh but that was in the past. Surely these high prices mean that they've splashed out a bit in terms of hardware? I hope they've added line-out auxiliary capabilities.

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

Nexus devices typically haven't had FM radio functionality in the past. I don't believe the Nexus 9 will have it either.

I can see why people would like it though. One of my older phones (can't remember which one) you could record the sound from the radio station you were listening to. Would come in handy because I'd hear a song I liked, so I'd quickly record it, then would identify it later on when I had time.

Yeah but I thought they would have added a few more radios cos it's premium, no?

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

Yeah I'm not sure about the average user here, but I personally do like having the FM radio. My HTC One M7 has one and I find myself using it from time to time like when I want to listen to a radio show in the morning or when there's a hockey or football game that I can't watch at work or something.

I do know iheartradio can do this but its nice not using any data (even tho it may be minimal) ya know?

But they should care about us left-field users as well!

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Ahh but that was in the past. Surely these high prices mean that they've splashed out a bit in terms of hardware? I hope they've added line-out auxiliary capabilities.

Nexus is designed to be pure Android so you can get updates and releases first. When and if these features are part of the Android core they will be supported on a Nexus device

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

Nexus is designed to be pure Android so you can get updates and releases first. When and if these features are part of the Android core they will be supported on a Nexus device

Yeah I suppose that make sense. You're right.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084