05-08-2016 09:40 AM
58 123
tools
    Hi peeps, I have been doing some reading up (trying to decide if i get 1 or not) on the N9 and 1 review mentioned about the power might be an issue (cant recall the exact wording), has anyone else found a problem with the power button ?

Another issue I came across was whilst watching films/videos etc there were black bars on each side or maybe top and bottom whuich restricted the viewable area, anyone find this annoying or not bother them ?

Thanks.
    On a wide-screen video, typical 16:9, you get a little bit bigger than a 7 inch 16:9 display. So you don't get bigger video displays. The sound quality kind of makes up for it,
    dcfc561 likes this.
    11-09-2014 02:08 PM
    On a wide-screen video, typical 16:9, you get a little bit bigger than a 7 inch 16:9 display. So you don't get bigger video displays. The sound quality kind of makes up for it,
    Thanks, I see what you mean.

So would that be better than viewing films on a Nexus 7 then, so not that bad then is it.
    11-09-2014 02:40 PM
    Thanks, I see what you mean.

So would that be better than viewing films on a Nexus 7 then, so not that bad then is it.
    I definitely like the screen better for watching videos. It is also much better for browsing.
    dcfc561 likes this.
    11-10-2014 11:39 AM
    Another issue I came across in a review was whilst watching films/videos etc there were black bars on each side or maybe top and bottom whuich restricted the viewable area, anyone find this annoying or not bother them ?
    Thanks.
    Coming from the Nexus 7 2013, video on the Nexus 9 is "gigantic" in portrait mode and "monstrously gigantic" in landscape. No complaint against 4:3 screen from me, now that I experienced it.
    dcfc561 and jondelfin like this.
    11-11-2014 06:04 AM
    Got 1 ordered and its coming tomorrow, I shall post back on what I think of it.
    11-12-2014 12:15 PM
    Re External Storage ...
    I just tried a 64G USB thumb [NTFS format] drive plugged into an OTG cable and it worked perfectly. I only tried it with videos but I would think there would be no problem with any files eg spreadsheets etc. So far I used the programs Nexus Media Importer and also ES File explorer to access the data. Both seem to work well with Android 5.
    Of course there is a catch - if the battery is low you cannot view the thumb drive/OTG cable and charge the tablet at the same time. On my Nexus 10 I used the magnetic pogo charger so this was not a problem. So far this is my only "if only", not really a complaint. So the inability to plug in a micro SD card is not an issue for me - except if the tablet is low on power. PS - wish I had a 128 G drive to try!
    11-12-2014 09:39 PM
    I definitely like the screen better for watching videos. It is also much better for browsing.
    Agreed - and it is very nice for reading magazines which seem to be closer to the 4:3 format. On my nexus 10 with magazines there was always a bit of space [when full page] at the top and bottom so the 9 works out to be about the same size as with the 10
    11-12-2014 09:46 PM
    Re External Storage ...
    I just tried a 64G USB thumb [NTFS format] drive plugged into an OTG cable and it worked perfectly. I only tried it with videos but I would think there would be no problem with any files eg spreadsheets etc. So far I used the programs Nexus Media Importer and also ES File explorer to access the data. Both seem to work well with Android 5.
    Of course there is a catch - if the battery is low you cannot view the thumb drive/OTG cable and charge the tablet at the same time. On my Nexus 10 I used the magnetic pogo charger so this was not a problem. So far this is my only "if only", not really a complaint. So the inability to plug in a micro SD card is not an issue for me - except if the tablet is low on power. PS - wish I had a 128 G drive to try!
    I have an OTG cable and bought the nexus media importer when I had the N7.
    11-13-2014 01:07 PM
    My thoughts on the Nexus 9:

1 Ive read others have commented on the back cover being a bit flexible, being able to bend it, didnt seem to be the case with mine as it was 1 of the first things Id noticed when taking I first handled it.

2 It looks nice, might look nicer if they had put a shiny metal round the edge eg where the power and volume buttons are.

3 The screen looks great whilst watching Gravity, even better watching Netflix as the black bars aren't as big when watching Gravity.

4 I dont like how the power and volume buttons are so close together

I just need to find a case.cover for it now.
    11-14-2014 05:11 AM
    My thoughts on the Nexus 9:

1 Ive read others have commented on the back cover being a bit flexible, being able to bend it, didnt seem to be the case with mine as it was 1 of the first things Id noticed when taking I first handled it.
    It is when you push up and down on the circle where NEXUS is written. Take a look at the review here. There is a animated GIF of someone pushing up and down on the that spot. You can see it flex. It is not a big deal IMHO. But when compared to a similarly priced iPad Air 2 with aluminum back feels cheap.
    11-19-2014 02:45 PM
    My first impression upon turning it on was not good. Terrible back light bleed in three corners, across the top and a large almost circular patch around 2 inches in diameter where the light came through more than the surrounding area. This is less noticeable on lighter screens but anything dark enough and it's obvious. Google are replacing it so hopefully the next one will not have this issue.
    As they now charge a premium price, £400 for the 32 gig version, I expect and insist upon quality throughout.

One other issue I've noticed is the terrible charge time using the official charger. It's saying 7 hours to charge from 56%. If the next one has a similar issue it'll be getting sent back and I'll be sadly cancelling.
    11-26-2014 07:52 AM
    My notes (wordy...):

I had the nexus 9 for several days and *really* wanted it to work.. Yet came away from the experience rather disappointed and devastated ...

To put it bluntly - the N9 has sooooo much potential as a direct/updated competitor to all other tablets out there - yet it is the combination of all the minor nitpicks about the hardware that ultimately lead many (myself included) to return the unit and select other options .. At least temporarily until either a viable alternative becomes available or until the various hardware issues are resolved with the N9 ...

Why? I want a new tablet.. I want a smaller tablet than the iPad Air... The N9 fits (so I thought) the bill perfectly from a size perspective...

Software:

Quite simply - Lollipop is a dream... It blows me away on how well it works and how seamless it is... There is so much potential here once the right manufacturer actually delivers a quality tablet that lives up to the software being presented...

Hardware:

I bought the N9 full well knowing that there were some issues with the hardware... I figured I could live with them since I was fairly well informed (or so I thought)

Light bleed? Check.. Though it was contained to 2 spots on my unit in places that I really didn't have any problems with this particular issue... Overall, aside from these areas, my screen was fairly uniform and not patchy like others here have reported.

Overheating? Check... Mind you - this was experienced while using a browser only.. (I browse the web the majority of the time I use a tablet...) - Not a game or any other software that should tax the system.

Depending on the site I visited I would experience a spike in heat on the back of the unit near the camera where I commonly rest my hand holding the unit.. So I tried flipping it or holding it differently to adjust.. Which "worked" but was annoying that I had to adjust how I typically hold a tablet comfortably...

Build quality issues? Check - buttons were mushy and hard to locate, there was a slight (minimal) push in the middle (I purchased the white 32gb version). Again.. These were things I knew going in and willingly to work around and live with ... For some this was the biggest issue.. I thought that in general it was passable...

Screen Time? (Sorta) check .. Admittedly I haven't had it long enough to determine if the SoT would extend past the 4-6 hour mark I was experiencing (most likely will with future updates)... Though I expected it to last longer based on other noted reviews of 9-10 hours (never came close)...

What finally killed it for me was a few nights ago I drained the battery down to 10%, and left it to charge all night (I kid you not - 10+ hours) - it was only up to 78% charged with an estimated 2+ hours left to full charge... I could've lived with everything else and have been somewhat irritated and annoyed - but if I can't charge the damn thing in a reasonable amount of time to use it ... Then what's the point ?

Never mind some of the other nitpicks that arose during this time I wasn't aware of (miracast, etc)...

Which leads me to where I changed - I Went out and bought an iPad mini 2 for less than half the price of the N9 yesterday on special Black Friday deals... At least for the time being...

EVERY hardware issue noted above isn't prevalent at all with the iPad (same resolution, no light bleed, no overheating, significant bump in battery performance (I've run 7+ hours full screen on time browsing and installing software on the first charge before finally going to bed last night with 26% remaining) only dropped 16% as I type this), and it charges much quicker ...

Worst thing about it? It's running iOS ... :P

It's functional and gets the job done.. But I can't stand how limiting it is compared to my android phone or the N9....

Ultimately the issues with the N9 render the device too painful to use and enjoy the experience of lollipop.. (At this time)... Unfortunately I needed a dependable tablet now...

At this point - I plan to monitor these boards and sites reporting updates on the N9 and software updates in the hopes that one day soon all of these issues are either finally addressed with the N9 ( or most of them ) - or within the next few months a viable alternative is made available to the market (Nokia???) that yields a truly distinct and positive experience with the advent of lollipop.

As soon as that happens.. I'll either sell the iPad or pass it down to my kid and switch immediately back to the N9 or other viable option (I'm primarily looking for a well built device with as close as "stock" android as possible) - the software experience of lollipop was fantastic in the short time I had with it (not available on my phone yet)....

I sincerely hope others don't run into the same issues that I did ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    11-28-2014 11:21 PM
    I also returned my nexus 9 Black Friday for an iPad air 2. I liked the nexus but buying a tab with better build quality and double the storage seemed like a logical move. Despite having minor light bleed and minor spongy back i had two issues. 1.) the plastic was peeling near the usb (unacceptable). 2.) the battery was terrible and it took forever to charge. I must admit that I do miss lollipop on a tablet and I am not 100% sold on iOS, but this tablet right here is very nice, and besides, I have lollipop on my htc one m8. I wish you all the best and maybe I will be back in nexus land shortly.
    11-29-2014 10:18 PM
    I also returned my nexus 9 Black Friday for an iPad air 2. I liked the nexus but buying a tab with better build quality and double the storage seemed like a logical move. Despite having minor light bleed and minor spongy back i had two issues. 1.) the plastic was peeling near the usb (unacceptable). 2.) the battery was terrible and it took forever to charge. I must admit that I do miss lollipop on a tablet and I am not 100% sold on iOS, but this tablet right here is very nice, and besides, I have lollipop on my htc one m8. I wish you all the best and maybe I will be back in nexus land shortly.
    Build quality was why I returned mine as well. Having used iPads since the iPad 1, I could not reconcile the steep Nexus 9 price with the cheap built quality, though I loved the 3:4 sceen ratio.

I like to have one of each: iOS and Android. Now my hopes are on the Nokia N1. I've always loved their hardware, and the product pictures look super sweet.
    11-30-2014 01:10 AM
    You guys got early models. I intentionally held out for a sealed box one on Sat. and it's a newer build. I know that because there's a little tab now for getting it out of the tight box...there's no mushy on the back. Yes, it's hot when downloading, big deal. Buttons work great. Fast as lightening...too early to tell much about battery so far. I'm happy happy.
    12-01-2014 04:15 PM
    I received my Nexus 9 yesterday. I do love it. I havent noticed any light bleed. Its fast and havent had or noticed any lag. But, the volume buttons are too flush with the edges of the device making it difficult to use them. I'm debating whether i should send it back and request a replacement. I will probably decide in a couple days after using it more to see if i can live with it or not.
    12-10-2014 08:09 AM
    Even coming from an old iPad 2, Nexus 9 has a really poor battery life to me. Use for internet browsing 80-90% of the time, and unfortunately this is the biggest heat generator and battery killer. Once it gets too hot, it will lag when returning to home screen. If lucky, I may get 5hrs SOT, if not about 4hrs, totally not tablet calibre.

Build quality wise mine do suffer from light bleed and flappy back, though the buttons felt ok to me ( the buttons really have minimal use for this tablet). But overall it's a beauty and I like its design.

Nevertheless I do like lollipop a lot and will not stay with iOS which felt really stale to me. But for anyone who can accept both iOS and Android, it's a no brainer that you should get an iPad instead of Nexus 9.
    12-11-2014 02:21 AM
    Battery is terrific. Two days at least connected, one day pretty decent use (no gaming)...so that's pretty good. I don't care about the power button since I don't use it. Two taps and you're on, and there are two great apps to shut down without it, too. The quality is great, speed is great, a bit smaller sized than the old Galaxy 10.1 we had, too. NO complaints.
    12-12-2014 05:38 PM
    I received my Nexus 9 yesterday. I do love it. I havent noticed any light bleed. Its fast and havent had or noticed any lag. But, the volume buttons are too flush with the edges of the device making it difficult to use them. I'm debating whether i should send it back and request a replacement. I will probably decide in a couple days after using it more to see if i can live with it or not.
    Decided to try another N9. I ordered a replacement from Amazon. Which came last Thursday. I sent the replacement back because it had light bleeding in one of the corners. The volume keys worked better than my current device but it was barely noticeable. I guess I'll be keeping the one I have. I'm learning to accept the buttons as I really dont use them most of the time anyway. I'm usually connected wirelessly via bluetooth so i can adjust the sound on my ear buds anyway. Other than the volume keys, I have no real issues that make me want to return it. My backing was fine, didnt feel any give or flexing.
    12-16-2014 12:13 PM
    Got a Nexus 9 for Christmas, Santa bought it from Best Buy. It had all the hardware issues, the flush buttons, light bleed, and crappy backing. This was my first tablet, and I'm not impressed so far. Guess I'll wait a couple months to see if Google/HTC get their **** together, but I don't have high hopes.

edit: according to htc.epicfoobar.com, mine was manufactured on 10/11, so that's probably why I have issues with this one.
    12-26-2014 09:48 PM
    Santa Brought me an amazingly perfect black 32GB Nexus 9. (I'm told he had Amazon send it via UPS.) Of course I've not had it but two days but so far I've seen none of the defects talked about here. The buttons even protrude for a good tactile feel and click nicely. I have no light bleed. The screen is stunningly gorgeous.
    brosko likes this.
    12-26-2014 10:00 PM
    Santa Brought me an amazingly perfect black 32GB Nexus 9. (I'm told he had Amazon send it via UPS.) Of course I've not had it but two days but so far I've seen none of the defects talked about here. The buttons even protrude for a good tactile feel and click nicely. I have no light bleed. The screen is stunningly gorgeous.
    This! Had mine since Nov. Totally love it. Perfection. From best buy
    brosko likes this.
    12-27-2014 08:57 AM
    Does anyone have the Sand color?

I have a N7(2013) but man the N9 looks sweet!
    01-10-2015 07:45 AM
    I'm not sure I get the price complaints ... Yes its priced higher than previous Nexus tablets but its at the same price point of the Nexus 10, and $200 cheaper than an iPad air 2. The retail cost is almost half that of a typical flagship phone, and the specs are premium.

As per build quality, there were issues early on with screens and rocker buttons, but the material choice and soft back are an aesthetic complaint.

For $399 (now $349) I challenge you to find a better AOSP 9" tablet on the market.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-12-2015 06:02 AM
    I really like my Nexus 9. Have it for about 6 months now and its mostly been a good experience. Overall its an amazing tablet. There are some cons though. So listen up.
    Note- All of the following cons are written on personal experience.
    1.In the initial start up process, right out of the box it will tell you to update your software. All well and good until you realize that the update is moving at snails pace. It gets stuck. My solution to this is to switch wifi networks.
    2. It will get HOT! It gets really hot sometimes during gaming and sometimes even while browsing on chrome (blame chrome for this one. It uses a lot of resources).
    3. Sometimes it gets laggy when the battery saver in on and the battery is below 15%.

Verdict- AMAZING TABLET. Looks are killer and people stare and ask about it when they see it. Would definitely recommend.
    cindave likes this.
    05-31-2015 05:18 PM
58 123