05-08-2016 09:40 AM
58 123
tools
    Nexus 9's are starting to hit the streets and we've seen multiple reviews done by the major players in the Android world. That's great, but what makes things even better is hearing YOUR thoughts and impressions or gripes about a new device. So with that said we would like to hear what you have to say.
    11-04-2014 12:18 PM
    My initial thoughts on my Nexus 9 (which arrived a couple hours ago), are mostly positive. I got the 16GB Lunar White option and the minute I took it out of the box I was extremely surprised and pleased with how good it looks and feels. The back is smooth and the tablet feels great in the hand. It's also not too heavy or too light. Just right... Plus the Nexus name on the back really pops out at you. In a good way, at least in my opinion. Also, I've been reading that the back was going to to flex a little, but that doesn't seem to be the case with mine. Maybe the Lunar White is a different material? I don't know... but I pushed on it with a fair amount of force and it was completely solid and firm. I'm glad about that cause I was a little worried.

The software on the Nexus 9 though, is by far what blew me away the most. Lollipop is awesome!! I love the material design, the tap to wake feature, the new settings graphics/layout and everything else about lollipop! Google did a great job with it and I have always liked Android over IOS but this widens the gap by a mile! I do have one complaint about the tablet and I think this falls under software: the nook app from Barnes and Noble does NOT work AT ALL! I downloaded it and tried to sign in and it crashed! I uninstalled it, reinstalled it and tried to sign in and it crashed... Disappointing but not a deal breaker for me since the Kindle app is working just fine and I can always read my nook books on a different device (maybe my phone)...

As far as apps go, I only installed Evernote and Kindle. Plus the Battery Solo Widget that tells what percent your battery is at on the homescreen. I was going to install Pulse news which I use cause it's a great news aggregator but I'm not sure I really need it. Most of the time I just go to whatever website I want to read and navigate it from there. I may install Pulse later on but for now it's not a necessity. Downloaded some of my Kindle books, 9 of them to be precise, all of which I have not read yet and plan to read on the N9. Configured all the settings I needed to change in the settings menu of the tablet and that's basically it. I plan to test out youtube later and maybe download some of my Google Play movies to see how it handles them but no games for now. If I want to play mobile games I will play on the Shield Portable.

So far so good. The nook problem is annoying and it's a shame cause that's really like my only complaint so far... But I can live with it and I'm sure it will get fixed. There are alot of things I can't comment on yet like battery life (obviously... it's still charging) but I can say the build quality, screen sharpness, weight, size, Lollipop... all of those aspects are meeting or exceeding my expectations. I will also have to test the sound too when I go to youtube later...

All in all, I would recommend this tablet highly! Will post back if I think of anything else or if I discover anything new...
    VAYinzer, Paul627g and bhaskararao like this.
    11-04-2014 01:06 PM
    I do have one complaint about the tablet and I think this falls under software: the nook app from Barnes and Noble does NOT work AT ALL!
    Most likely just a matter of the developers updating their app to support Android 5.0
    11-04-2014 01:10 PM
    Most likely just a matter of the developers updating their app to support Android 5.0
    Yeah that makes sense... Luckily I use Kindle too but for those that only use nook I could see that being a deal breaker. I will be writing to B&N about it later.

Sent via Tapatalk on my Droid Turbo (Breaking the Speed Limit of the Internet)...
    11-04-2014 01:17 PM
    Hey thanks for the review/opinions.. Feel free to come back and update us on battery life, etc as you get more time under your belt.
    quadtronix likes this.
    11-04-2014 01:32 PM
    This is my second day with my nexus 9 and so far I LOVE IT!. Except for one thing that's really bothering me, charging time seems to be extremely long... My lock screen states that it will take 15 hours for my unit to reach 100%!!! Is that normal?

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Nexus 9 : Owners sound off with your own reviews and thoughts.-164.jpg  
    11-04-2014 02:04 PM
    I did read a review on CNET that one of the bad things about this device is charge time: Google Nexus 9 review - CNET. Hopefully this will be fixed when HTC or Google updates the firmware.

J
    11-04-2014 02:30 PM
    Well I decided to give Google a call and after switching my unit from a power strip to a wall socket all is well. Then unit seems to be charging normally now... I will keep an eye on it, hopefully it was a power strip issue vs a hardware/software issue.

Paul627g likes this.
    11-04-2014 02:36 PM
    This is my second day with my nexus 9 and so far I LOVE IT!. Except for one thing that's really bothering me, charging time seems to be extremely long... My lock screen states that it will take 15 hours for my unit to reach 100%!!! Is that normal?

Mine was at 52% when I plugged it in and finished the setup process. When I put it to sleep and then turned it back on it said 3 hours left to charge so I guess a full charge would take about 6 or 7 hrs. If you extrapolate...

This does seem long... I don't mind too much but not great...

Sent via Tapatalk on my Droid Turbo (Breaking the Speed Limit of the Internet)...
    Paul627g likes this.
    11-04-2014 02:36 PM
    Mine has just reached 100% after being plugged into the mains for around 9 hours. It started at 11%. I've been using it heavily all day though, so the charger has had my constant tinkering to contend with. This has been nicely illustrated by the battery usage graph.

I expect that overnight charges will be the best way to manage this, going forward.

As for other impressions, I'm over the moon with it. There are some niggling issues:

1. The flex in the back is there, although it is very minor, almost unnoticeable. I suspect that's the price to pay for using the silky smooth black material. If so, to me, that's a price more than worth paying.

2. I've noticed a slight flickering on one occasion. Took me back to my Nexus 7 2012 days. I haven't noticed it since, though. Tablet was at around 60%, plugged in and located in a partially lit kitchen.

3. Buttons are terrible. Worst part of the tablet.

4. Some minor light bleed at the top of the screen. It's there, but it's not the kind of thing that bothers me.

They're the bad bits. The good bits:

1. It's like a giant N5, physically. Which is great, as I love the stark design and soft touch material of that phone.

2. Lollipop is fantastic. It feels like ICS all over again. Fresh and full of promise. I hope that developers get onboard with the design language. Feels good under the thumb too. There have been a few occasions where starting or switching apps have caused a minor pause, but it feels like optimisation more than the hardware not being able to keep up. That being said, those pauses are few and far between, most operations are slick and rapid. After a full days use I'm not concerned in the slightest about the performance of the hardware. There are kinks to be ironed out, but nothing to ruin the experience, IMO.

3. Speakers are great. I've never owned a unit with front facing stereo before. They're not the loudest or highest quality, but they're plenty good enough to get by with when there's nothing better around to connect to.

4. Screen is crisp and pleasing to look at.

5. Double tap. Very well implemented; feels very responsive.

6. 4:3 was a great design choice, IMO. It just feels more balanced when dealing with a screen this size. Web browsing and book reading in portrait are the most obvious beneficiaries here, but it just feels better across the board for me. I can happily tolerate black bars on movie playback as a compromise.

7. The haptic feedback is a nice addition and feels subtle.

Overall I'm really pleased with the N9 after day 1. It's not flawless and maybe more discerning people than me will have more of a problem with the issues I brushed aside. But for my money, the N9 has ticked every box I needed it to tick. The initial reviews had me worried, but I needn't have been.

11-04-2014 03:53 PM
    I use Cool Reader for my epubs and it does not work properly with the n9

Decided to try out Google play books and I like the look. Problem is you have to upload your books to Google and then they show on the nexus when you use the app. I am finding reading in landscape 2 page look is easier for me.
    11-04-2014 09:15 PM
    In some ways I like my Nexus 10 better. I can lie down and rest the Nexus 10 in portait mode on my chest, and it's so tall, the top part of the screen is in just the right place. The 9 is something that you almost need to hold up in the air. But we will see if the Nexus 9 runs more reliably. The crashes with 10 were a bit annoying, but not the end of the world. And the Nexus 9 is a cooler looking tablet. The 10 is basically ugly, and it's a tad bit slower.
    11-05-2014 02:38 PM
    So far I like it. Here is my experience thus far:
    •I do think its about $100 too expensive. However I wanted the 4:3 ratio and I wasn't going the apple route.
    •I don't have the lag that others have mentioned.
    •I don't have the flex either.
    •I did notice that it got warm when I first got it (probably all the installation), but it has been running cool ever since.
    •I love Lollipop.
    •When my unit arrived at 1:30 it had 72% battery life. Its now 6:13 and I'm at 32% (No movies or games, just messing around with apps. I've been on it nonstop. I'm not sure what a tablet this size should do. I'm coming from a Nexus 7 (2012). Hopefully updates will improve it.
    •Love the screen. Coming from my Nexus 7 it's nice.
    •minimal light bleed.

indysteve9 likes this.
    11-05-2014 07:18 PM
    My battery progression

Attached Thumbnails Nexus 9 : Owners sound off with your own reviews and thoughts.-61.jpg  
    11-05-2014 07:23 PM
    So far I'm very happy with my N9. There is a little flex in the back but I wouldn't have noticed it except for the talk about it here. No squeaks. It was a bit warm yesterday when I was updating and installing all of my apps.

I never worry about battery life on a new device because of the extreme use up front. I did notice that it charged quicker than the estimate on the lock screen suggests.

The screen is beautiful but the automatic brightness seems a bit quirky.

Speakers are nice and loud. Watched the same YouTube video on the N9 and my M8 and the N9 was louder and richer.

A few apps I use don't work so I contacted the developers to let them know.

Overall I'm very happy.

Sent from my HTC One M8 via Tapatalk 4 Pro
    quadtronix likes this.
    11-06-2014 01:44 PM
    I had a N7 2013, which got stuck at "Google" while it was idle. No idea what happened, and it was out of warranty, so I replaced it with this. I didn't really like the screen ratio on the 2013. I had a 2012, and thought that had a better ratio. It just bugged me. I honestly thought the 2012 was a better tablet.

My N9 arrived a few hours ago. Lollipop is really smooth. I really like it. I think the screen looks really great, and I have no light bleed issues or creaking, as some others have posted.

My apps downloaded, and I've only had a few that don't work, but I'd expect developers to update them quickly. I think I'll like the larger size (old eyes). The tablet is light, and I read a LOT, especially before falling asleep. It's light enough that I don't see that being an issue. Others have said things about the power switch and volume buttons being a problem. To me, they're easier to find and press than my 2013. The tab is larger, but still fits in my purse (a must). I ordered an inexpensive zip up case for it to protect it.

I haven't had it long enough to see what the battery life is like, yet, but it had an update as soon as I powered it on. Now I need to get a case for it, so klutzy me doesn't drop it and break it on day one.
    11-06-2014 04:33 PM
    Just to update my previous post... After 2 and a half days I've only had to charge it twice so battery life is not too bad especially since one of those times I started charging it at 50%. In other words I could probably get two days off a charge if I were to run it down to 0 or close to 0%... I have been using it a lot too, reading ebooks on kindle app, watched some videos that were imbedded in articles I was reading, browsed the web, used evernote a little bit and downloaded three of my google play movies which I will view at a latter date. So far, can't complain. The embedded videos I watched were all crystal clear, the sound was superb. Browsing the web is seamless and the tablet has performed admirably as far as WiFi and general performance is concerned. Kindle app? Has worked flawlessly... Evernote... Great! Battery life? Two days off a single charge with moderate use is all I need from a tablet. (I should mention though that I'm only at about 35% brightness). It does take a while to charge but what do you expect? The battery is gargantuan! All in all though, very pleased with my purchase! I guess this means my iPad air is retired now...

Sent via Tapatalk from my Nexus N!ne... -The Next Generation of Nexus-
    11-06-2014 08:15 PM
    I'm in my first few hours with a Lunar White Nexus Nine. This is the honeymoon that will last forever.

The screen is beautiful, the backside is a sight to behold (and touch!), the speakers sound great.. I could gush for a lot longer.

Yes, there is some light bleed along the top edge, but I couldn't see it until I was in the dark watching video and even then I might have missed it had the video been different or I hadn't read the comments above.

The capacitive touch is better on this screen than on the 7 (2013).

The 9 is also significantly larger than the 7. My single-handed subway reading may be a challenge.

No regrets here.
    11-07-2014 12:06 AM
    My black one came in about an hour ago. The top of the back was uncomfortably hot to the touch after a minute already. There is a dent on the back, actually, when you touch the top of the back, it almost feels like waves, not flat. I wonder if these two issues are related.

I love the 3:4 aspect ratio, and a larger Android screen (only have a phone and N7) but don't find it snappier than my iPad Air. I know it's a different OS, but I was hoping for something faster than my year old tablet.

Also, the battery appears to be draining like crazy while browsing the web
    Attached Thumbnails Nexus 9 : Owners sound off with your own reviews and thoughts.-image.jpg  
    11-07-2014 02:36 PM
    My black one came in about an hour ago. The top of the back was uncomfortably hot to the touch after a minute already.
    Mine was warm when it was downloading all the updates to my apps. After an hour or so that stopped and everything cooled down. Power drain also decreased dramatically after the downloads and installs stopped.
    11-07-2014 04:48 PM

That sounds long. Are you using the factory charger? The ones for a phone put out much less current.
    11-07-2014 04:50 PM
    I noticed it was hard to pull it out of the packaging, the pocket was too tight on my unit. Anyone had to struggle with removing the unit? Could be a case for any back panel issue?

Enjoying the larger screen, previously using 7 inch. Light bleed largely appears to go away after boot up, perhaps it is at full power during boot up. Good size and weight, holding with one hand is comfortable so far.

Ran benchmarks, Antutu, GFXbench, 3Dmark, unit was warm, but not hot.
    11-07-2014 11:03 PM
    Mine was a bit hard to pry out of the package as well, but not harder than most tablets I've gotten. Does your back pannel have any dents as well?
    11-08-2014 12:29 PM
    Mine was a bit hard to pry out of the package as well, but not harder than most tablets I've gotten. Does your back pannel have any dents as well?
    I traded in an older Nexus which had a much nicer packaging without squeezing the tablet. I had to pull a bit to get it out, and it could have been the reason the corner of the rear cover is slightly loose. Aside from that the back looks fine.
    11-08-2014 03:51 PM
    Hi peeps, I have been doing some reading up (trying to decide if i get 1 or not) on the N9 and 1 review mentioned about the power might be an issue (cant recall the exact wording), has anyone else found a problem with the power button ?

Another issue I came across in a review was whilst watching films/videos etc there were black bars on each side or maybe top and bottom whuich restricted the viewable area, anyone find this annoying or not bother them ?

Thanks.
    11-09-2014 01:45 PM
58 123