Nexus 9 : Bugs, problems, gremlins, fixes and more...

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing a TON of software issues, I actually wish I could downgrade to 4.4.4 if such a thing were possible. I know it's early adopter and all but it's not a finished product. I love the hardware though, zero issues with that it's a great tablet so it has a lot of potential IMO. That's about the only thing keeping me from returning it actually.

Such a stark contrast from my new Xperia Z3 compact which just seems that everything works great. I'm actually noticing a bunch of things working better than they ever did on my nexus 5, it's a genuine pleasure in the software experience.

One of my worst gripes about the nexus 9 isn't googles fault though, it seems that the Amazon Instant Video app doesn't support tablets which was a surprise to me as it works on nexus 7. As crappy a reason that is it might be the thing that makes me return the nexus 9, I seriously want AIV on my tablet.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So far only a couple apps I use don't work.

Also the "ok Google anywhere", face unlock and NFC unlock don't work.

Sent from my HTC One M8 via Tapatalk 4 Pro

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
My Multitasking button keeps stopping working. :(

A least once a day it just completely stops working. When I hit the on screen button it lights up to show it's been pressed but the multitasking list doesn't come up. I tried manually killing all the running apps but it still doesn't work. The only fix is a reboot. ... Until the glitch comes back and I have to reboot again :(

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have a fix for it?

alengman

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I really like the n9 and had a few apps crash. Photos crashed,on me when I was editing a picture. Other apps such as Verizon fios mobile and HBO go do not work properly. Fios app keeps buffering and HBO Go app keeps refreshing on the login screen not allowing me enough time to actually login. The tablet is great and aside from these things, I love it. Just need these apps updated soon.

Posted via the Android Central App

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
My Multitasking button keeps stopping working. :(

A least once a day it just completely stops working. When I hit the on screen button it lights up to show it's been pressed but the multitasking list doesn't come up. I tried manually killing all the running apps but it still doesn't work. The only fix is a reboot. ... Until the glitch comes back and I have to reboot again :(

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have a fix for it?
Yes, that was just one of my problems with software.

Hardware wise, my back cover is coming away in 2 corners, about a 2mm gap. An annoying click from one side when u hold it and light bleed.

Overall I'm not happy and unfortunately not even going to chance a replacement. Its going back for refund!

OnNTwo

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Same behavior here. Occasionally drops wifi signal but walking into room with wifi router will connect again but not automatically.

jondelfin

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Agree tee updates need to come. I could not get xbmc to work or mx player pro so I installed vlc pleasure which is fine. I am sure there will be no problem as programmers convert over to lollipop

jondelfin

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
It's odd.. When I first tried it I thought I saw a very small amount of light bleed on one side, but in checking now i can not see any???? Not sure if I just aimed it would be there so I saw it but now in a dark room turned up I see none of it!

jondelfin

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I would not say it is not a finished product. The issue is more that the software developers just need to get updated to lollipop.
It is also difficult to contrast the nexus 9 experience to the xperia unless they are both running lollipop

Jo 1

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I've had issues with some apps but maybe the fault is with them - the Android Central app and Tesco (groceries) app have frozen a few times, and iPlayer has sound and video stopping intermittently (no connection issues). The app version of iPlayer is terrible isn't it?

Pablo Alava

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey, if you side download the amazon app store app, you can then download the mobile amazon to your tablet. Then, download the amazon prime video app. It worked on nexus 7 and the galaxy note 10.1. I haven't tried it on the 9 yet.

lakhjhajj

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
OK Can someone please help me make sense of all this. This tablet is not working at all. Its very laggy, I try to open youtube and it takes about 4-5 seconds to respond? How is is possible with a processor this big ? Also for widgets with live moving tiles they just freeze? Also wifi issues, drops, battery drains very slow. charges take at least 7 hours.

Apps issues? Show box doesn't work . screen mirror cast to choromecast doesnt work. XMBC players doesnt work, can't install flash adobe plugin for fire fox beta. I miss my N7 and I am ready to return this thing... Please HELP or am I doing something wrong ?????

lakhjhajj

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Same here I tried to download [redacted on Nexus 9 and the Apk downloads App opens fine but when trying to play a movie it is giving "Server Error" and nothing plays. And then the tablet is laggy a one to two seconds delay before opening any app, settings or recognizing my touch. Then finally serious backlight bleed on all 4 corners of the screen.
Totally forgot to add the hollow area where nexus logomis on the back. The tablet squeaks with a little force applied.

Seriously this tablet don't have the feel of a premium product. Google took almost 18 months to launch a next nexus tablet and this is the outcome. I am sorry. I am returning it and I'll wait for lollipop to come for my nexus 7 and use that tablet instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I am a developer and I came across this forum while researching user experience on Lolliflop, specifically owners of the nexus 9 as it's the only device currently sold with Lolliflop.

I created a user account just to respond to this post and to clarify something that you as a user do not seem to be aware of. So lets clear it up! The nexus 9 in terms of hardware alone may be a finished product but taken as a whole, including the operating system, it is far from a finished product. Why? because Loliflop itself is not a finished product. I thought this was obvious due to the delay in rolling Lolliflop out to the previous generation of Nexus devices and the delayed launch of the nexus 6.

You may think that most of the app related issues that you are experiencing are due to developers not updating their apps, but in most cases you would be wrong. The changes to the platform require developers to use a library known as the appcompat library to maintain compatiability between existing os versions and Lolliflop. That library is provided by Google and currently has a lot of bugs. So in an attempt to update and support Lolliflop as well as providing new features to older os versions, what ends up happening is that the apps in question will fail.......crash, due to bugs in the library.

Some of these problems can be resolved by developers but not all of them and the remaining problems being left to the platform maintainers to resolve(Google). Unfortunately this problem also effects non Loliflop devices as updating to use the newest compatibility library provided by Google will introduce bugs to existing os versions. You can view the issues yourself
(I cant post links)
code.google.com/p/android/issues/list.

The following link;
(I cant post links)
code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=78377
is a link to a very particular issue that was introduced by Samsung on Samsung devices running 4.2.2. I have been following this issue for a while because it is a problem that effects my apps. Read through the comments in the issue and you will be able to get a better idea of what is going on with Lolliflop and keep in mind that it is just one of many issues

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I am a developer and I came across this forum while researching user experience on Lolliflop, specifically owners of the nexus 9 as it's the only device currently sold with Lolliflop.

I created a user account just to respond to this post and to clarify something that you as a user do not seem to be aware of. So lets clear it up! The nexus 9 in terms of hardware alone may be a finished product but taken as a whole, including the operating system, it is far from a finished product. Why? because Loliflop itself is not a finished product. I thought this was obvious due to the delay in rolling Lolliflop out to the previous generation of Nexus devices and the delayed launch of the nexus 6.

You may think that most of the app related issues that you are experiencing are due to developers not updating their apps, but in most cases you would be wrong. The changes to the platform require developers to use a library known as the appcompat library to maintain compatiability between existing os versions and Lolliflop. That library is provided by Google and currently has a lot of bugs. So in an attempt to update and support Lolliflop as well as providing new features to older os versions, what ends up happening is that the apps in question will fail.......crash, due to bugs in the library.

Some of these problems can be resolved by developers but not all of them and the remaining problems being left to the platform maintainers to resolve(Google). Unfortunately this problem also effects non Loliflop devices as updating to use the newest compatibility library provided by Google will introduce bugs to existing os versions. You can view the issues yourself
(I cant post links)
code.google.com/p/android/issues/list.

The following link;
(I cant post links)
code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=78377
is a link to a very particular issue that was introduced by Samsung on Samsung devices running 4.2.2. I have been following this issue for a while because it is a problem that effects my apps. Read through the comments in the issue and you will be able to get a better idea of what is going on with Lolliflop and keep in mind that it is just one of many issues
Your post might have been worthwhile had you not decided to use a silly name like Lolliflop, makes you seem immature and I for want don't take immature seriously.

I am sure given a little time the early problems in this new OS will be corrected probably long before my Samsung Tab pro gets it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante