Nexus 9 : Bugs, problems, gremlins, fixes and more...

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
It's almost certainly a problem with the update itself and not the hardware. To be perfectly honest with you I wouldn't recommend flashing the factory image when you have the options of waiting for a fix or getting a replacement, but the option is there for those that are impatient, but I don't think anybody would want to brick a Nexus 9 even if the chances are small. Anyway I hope your problem is resolved soon and you get a chance to appreciate your new device.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Bought a brand new, in box Nexus 9 off someone on ebay. Go to turn it on, and it clicks almost constantly. Just as described here-

Nexus 9 has problems - annoying clicky sounds and back-light bleeding - Mobile Geeks

Google and HTC both told me there was nothing they could do for me since I did not buy it from the Play Store or from HTC directly. The product hasn't even been out for 30 days. Nice to know they stand behind their product.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Bought a brand new, in box Nexus 9 off someone on ebay. Go to turn it on, and it clicks almost constantly. Just as described here-

Nexus 9 has problems - annoying clicky sounds and back-light bleeding - Mobile Geeks

Google and HTC both told me there was nothing they could do for me since I did not buy it from the Play Store or from HTC directly. The product hasn't even been out for 30 days. Nice to know they stand behind their product.
It's not a matter of them standing behind it. The original owner should have returned it instead of dumping it on you.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
It's not a matter of them standing behind it. The original owner should have returned it instead of dumping it on you.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk.

He sold it to me new. I broke the seal on it.

It's a known issue. Denying support on an item with a known issue because you don't like where it was purchased from is lame. That is not good customer service.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I've seen wonky battery usage. Yesterday I noticed the drain was precipitous whenever the screen was on. In fact, the charger couldn't charge faster than thge battery was draining.

I know there hadn't been as severe a drain during the first two week so I wondered about the apps, especially all those apps that seem to auto update now in lollipop. I disabled the Google Docs suite entirely as well as Force Stopping a load of apps I only want running when I summon them.

The usage seems far more reasonable now, as shown in the before and after shown below.

before (there is a small increase in the morning, that was after attaching the charger - the rise soon turns into a drop as i begin using the tablet, the battery dropping even though it was still attached to the charger)
Screenshot_2014-11-21-17-36-46.jpg

after
Screenshot_2014-11-22-14-24-44.jpg

mysticpass

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my Nexus 9, installed TWRP, then decided to go back to factory stock. Tried factory reset and now it is stuck flashing TEAMWIN. Any ideas how to get out of this?

Figured it out. Used fastboot USB.

Last edited:

phlow

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else notice that since upgrading to LRX21R (mine was pushed via OTA) that the double tap to wake is much more intermittent? (Mine only works half the time now, and I'm sure it worked 100% of the time last week.) I'm wondering if some other setting could be interfering?

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else notice that since upgrading to LRX21R (mine was pushed via OTA) that the double tap to wake is much more intermittent? (Mine only works half the time now, and I'm sure it worked 100% of the time last week.) I'm wondering if some other setting could be interfering?
Mine works as well as it did before. Put it in a case yesterday so now I don't need it as often.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk.

anon(5564484)

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Having an interesting issue connecting to my home network. I have a signal extender installed so that my home network will reach my favorite room. Throughout the house, my N9 connects to my main network connection, let's call it ABC123, with no problem....strong signal, great connection. When I'm in an area of the house where the extended network, let's call it ABC123_EXT, is stronger than the main the tablet stays in connecting mode and won't connect to my home network. Any suggestions? I'm not super tech savvy so simple is better for me.

Thanks, in advance, for any ideas

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I was having problems with the adaptive brightness where it would get too dim when I was holding it in landscape mode. Turns out there are two light sensors, one next to the camera and another in the other end centered on the speaker. When I was holding it in landscape I was covering both with my hands causing it to dim. Never noticed the other sensor until I got the case on it and it has a cutout there. The mode is still not great and I end up turning it off at times.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Having an interesting issue connecting to my home network. I have a signal extender installed so that my home network will reach my favorite room. Throughout the house, my N9 connects to my main network connection, let's call it ABC123, with no problem....strong signal, great connection. When I'm in an area of the house where the extended network, let's call it ABC123_EXT, is stronger than the main the tablet stays in connecting mode and won't connect to my home network.

Howdy! When you say "stays in connecting mode", I'm not sure of what you're describing. It was " connected " to abc123 and should stray connected until the signal can't be detected. So then connecting to _ext, i assume you are manually chosing abc123_ext from the wifi connections list. It's not alterating between connecting saved connecting saved or connecting authenticating connecting ?

Other devices connect to abc123_ext without troubles, dropouts or intermittent connection issues?

GatorsUF

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Wi-Fi does not work at all for me at work. Unfortunately I have the same problem on my MotoX with lollipop. I believe 5.0 has a Wi-Fi issue with corporate connections, something to do with Cisco routers.

Boricua3

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi, first time around here :). I verified this thread for an issue similar to mine, without success. I got my Nexus 9 from Google Play a week ago. It is the white 32GB wifi model. I found another issue similar to one described around here about auto dimmer not working properly, which I "resolved" for the time being by turning it off. The other one is more serious, and it refers to the "Home", "Back" and "Multitask" buttons becoming unresponsive. I have not being able to pinpoint a specific app or action starting this behavior, expect perhaps for moving from one open app to another very quick. If I wait for around a minute (more or less) without touching one of these buttons, they start responding again. I get the same result (recovering the buttons' functions) if I briefly press the power button to lock the screen and then unlock it. It does not seem to be a general freeze, since I am able to keep using the app I have being using when the buttons become unresponsive.
My main concern is whether this would be a software or hardware-related issue. So any hint will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance and just let me know if further info is needed.

anon(5564484)

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Howdy! When you say "stays in connecting mode", I'm not sure of what you're describing. It was " connected " to abc123 and should stray connected until the signal can't be detected. So then connecting to _ext, i assume you are manually chosing abc123_ext from the wifi connections list. It's not alterating between connecting saved connecting saved or connecting authenticating connecting ?

Other devices connect to abc123_ext without troubles, dropouts or intermittent connection issues?

Hi there ollieg....thanks for taking time to read my post and asking these questions....sorry for waiting so long to respond what with holiday travel and all.......Yes, I do try to switch to abc123_EXT manually because of the signal strength (that's what has me scratching my head about not being able to connect) and it does occasionally go to saved but when I touch "connect" after the network is saved the tablet jumps between authenticating connecting authenticating connecting, etc. until it stops and goes back to saved. All other devices (laptop, phone) connect to the extended network with no problem. Hope I explained/clarified this adequately.

Boricua3

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Never mind. Thanks to Google support staff, I rebooted my tablet in safe mode and found that one app, TV Player, was the real culprit. It was still running in the background, even in safe mode. I uninstalled and the problem seems to be gone.
Although I still note a little lag sometimes while pressing the buttons, is nowhere near as bad as before. I will wait for Android 5.0.1 and see what happens.