Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

11-09-2014 10:19 PM
72 123
tools
    I was really close to getting this tablet from Amazon. I changed my mind because I'm holding out for the LTE model. Now I'm not totally sure. I have the 2013 Nexus 7 LTE model and a Ipad Air and have been very satisfied with both tablets. I was thinking about getting the Nexus 9 LTE model and replace both tablets but I may hang on to both for a little while more. I really wanted to see Android 5.0 but if the Nexus 7 will be updated soon, that may be better for me.
    11-05-2014 07:24 PM
    oh no lightbleed! here we go again. another nexus 7 like fiasco.
    Between two original 7s, and one 2013 edition, I have never seen light bleeding or screen lifting on a 7. The Nexus 10, though? Don't get me started. I returned enough 10s to generate a black market in some part of the world. The one I settled with still has noticeable bleed in the bottom-right corner.
    11-05-2014 08:10 PM
    Well, I was one who called people punks for the N7 light bleed whining.

My Nexus 9 showed up today and first thing I noticed was a wobbly charging port.

Then I turned it on. I am not sure this amount of light bleed is acceptable.

***edit***
    After use this thing for an hour or so, I want to love it. Lollipop really is awesome and the size is perfect. the processor really does make things peppy as hell.

Now that I am playing with it more, it is super warm on the camera corner.

Lollipop is amazing so far, and I love the haptic feedback on this thing.

I am definitely concerned about build quality though. I am not really sure any of this is really return worthy though. The next couple of days worth of use will tell the tale.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails So.. I'm returning my N9-2793.jpg   So.. I'm returning my N9-2792.jpg  
    11-05-2014 08:42 PM
    I currently have a shield and a N9, I'm supposed to return one to Amazon. I feel like the better value is the shield....

Paul627g likes this.
    11-05-2014 10:00 PM
    You guys are worrying me. I still don't know if I even need this thing. Not sure if will try it out and see, or just send it back unopened.

With complaints about the performance, wobbly buttons, poor materials, etc I could put the money to better use on another device.
    11-05-2014 11:17 PM
    Well, I was one who called people punks for the N7 light bleed whining.

My Nexus 9 showed up today and first thing I noticed was a wobbly charging port.

Then I turned it on. I am not sure this amount of light bleed is acceptable.

***edit***
    After use this thing for an hour or so, I want to love it. Lollipop really is awesome and the size is perfect. the processor really does make things peppy as hell.

Now that I am playing with it more, it is super warm on the camera corner.

Lollipop is amazing so far, and I love the haptic feedback on this thing.

I am definitely concerned about build quality though. I am not really sure any of this is really return worthy though. The next couple of days worth of use will tell the tale.

I couldnt handle that light bleed at all, thats worse than mine.

Mine also got hot very quickly around the camera. then it started to not so much lag but more hesitate when app switching and pressing the home, a bit like touchwiz.

The way i view the Nexus 9 is...... if it came with Kitkat then it would be seen as a bit of a poor tablet but the fact it comes with 5.0 then thats its saving grace.

It`s the software thats king here and not the tablet and that why i returned mine. its like Google are charging a premium for 5.0 by installing it on a sub par tablet.

Also a couple of people are going to frown at me here but better in hand experience with build quality you can get are the Kindle HDX line, The LG G Pad 8.3, Sony Z tablets, id even go so far to say Samsungs Tab Pro feels better in hand
    11-06-2014 06:34 AM
    I thought the same about the N9 being more about Android L than the tablet itself, but come to think of it, isn't this how Google has always been?

Samsung Tab 8.4 is a ******* joke. I had the chance to mess around with one and I was disgusted, TouchWiz made it lag, it felt like I was using some old tablet back from 2011 which can barely keep up with the 4.4 Android.
    11-06-2014 06:59 AM
    I thought the same about the N9 being more about Android L than the tablet itself, but come to think of it, isn't this how Google has always been?

Samsung Tab 8.4 is a ******* joke. I had the chance to mess around with one and I was disgusted, TouchWiz made it lag, it felt like I was using some old tablet back from 2011 which can barely keep up with the 4.4 Android.
    Yeah its is how Google have always been but.... the hardware isnt usually $479 32gb, thats the main issue for me, it would be a good $349 32gb tablet and an excellent $300 tablet
    11-06-2014 08:26 AM

Google is very much a like a college instead of a company. You can see it when you go to their campus and compare it to Apple's. Google is fun and light and willing to try anything. If it does not work, well hopeful we learned something. Apple is much more planned. There are hoops to get through. Everyone needs to be focused and buy into the vision.

The difference to some degree makes it way to hardware and especially software. Goggle views each version of the Android as a better than the previous and as a base to try new and cool things.
    11-06-2014 10:42 AM
    This device is the most upsetting purchase I have evervmade . its dOwnright horrible.
    11-06-2014 12:48 PM
    This describes my experience exactly....
    11-06-2014 12:51 PM
    Looks like you can add me to the return list. The top of my display is much brighter. But only for 1/4inch. And it is uniformly brighter across the entire width of the display. I am not sure if it light bleed or a screen defect.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-06-2014 07:47 PM
    i have the Tab S and can tell you ONE THING it screams is "quality, premium, i'm worth every penny you paid for me" every single time you hold it, turn it on etc! Everytime i pick it up that razr thin 6+mm tab, i am like, "hot damn you are thin, girl!" I actually bought the one with the phone (P705) for $579.99 and can STILL make the above statement! When i saw Pocketnow's quick unboxing for the N9 i was like this is a $299.00 tablet AT BEST!

I'm just not understanding the price jump Google is charging for the N9 or N6, for that matter. Double the price of last year... I just don't get it, but then, i haven't understood much that has been going on @ Google for a coupla years now, their decision making process on so many fronts has just confounded me ever since they decided to shy away from the logo of the lil green guy that brought them to where they are today.... Its just not the same having the Google Play logo pissing on Apple...lol BTC
    Never thought I would say it, but Samsung really haw a lot to offer once I disabled the stuff I'll never use and installed GEL. I might have to try the 10.5 again. I keep unintentionally hitting the buttons on the 8.4.

11-06-2014 08:37 PM
    Never thought I would say it, but Samsung really haw a lot to offer once I disabled the stuff I'll never use and installed GEL. I might have to try the 10.5 again. I keep unintentionally hitting the buttons on the 8.4.

I'm going to check that one out now. I've been wanting a bigger tablet than my (very excellent) N7, and now that the N9 seems to be a disappointment, and I see plenty of complaints about the new Ipad 2 as well, plus I've been very happy with my old Samsung Galaxy 4.2...so then, what is "GEL", and is it hard to install, and were you easily able to get rid of all the stuff you never use (I could never get rid of all of it on my Samsung 4.2 )?
    11-06-2014 10:18 PM
    I know (or think I know) that you can disable the bloatware on Samsungs if not remove it entirely. So if I disable every bloatware I can't remove will that make it run just as fast as if I was able to remove it? I guess so. I guess it will just be taking up some memory space, though. Anyway, thanks for the 10.5 idea. Now to figure out which is which amongst all the Samsung models. I want the best one, the best 10.5.
    11-06-2014 10:25 PM
    Google Experience Launcher. It's in the Play Store. Unless you root the device, you can't get rid of all the extra stuff, but you can disable most of it. Runs without a hiccup.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
    11-06-2014 10:27 PM
    Google Experience Launcher. It's in the Play Store. Unless you root the device, you can't get rid of all the extra stuff, but you can disable most of it. Runs without a hiccup.

Thanks. Does the GEL work on all the Samsung models? Is it easy to use?
    11-06-2014 10:32 PM
    Yes to both.

11-06-2014 11:02 PM
    I hate to say it but mine is boxed back up and being returned.

Light bleed is not bad, but noticeable, the lag opening apps is terrible (I suspect that will be fixed with more software updates however) but at the moment it takes 2-3 seconds to open/swap apps. Their is an annoying creak in the back panel left hand side in portrait mode. Overall........not worth £399.

My nexus 5 is perfect. Thinking about trying the nexus 6 and using that as my phone/tablet instead.

White, 32gb UK version bought from google for those interested in my model.
    11-07-2014 02:17 AM
    Looks like you can add me to the return list. The top of my display is much brighter. But only for 1/4inch. And it is uniformly brighter across the entire width of the display. I am not sure if it light bleed or a screen defect.

Posted via Android Central App
    Are you going to exchange or just get a refund?
    11-07-2014 04:59 AM
    i KNOW! i deserted Samsung after about 5 years of brand loyalty (phones) for EVERYTHING LG about a year ago. To me, Samsung was "slipping", had gotten stale, was naming EVERYTHING "Galaxy" and phones were getting better BUT lag was getting worse! Enter Tab S...!! Not gonna lie, still an occasional hesitation or hiccup, but they've streamlined Touchwiz in so many ways in addition to the thinness, screen, performance etc, its a delight to use EVERY TIME regardless... With other tablets (even if they've performed slightly better) i'm like "this tablet is boring!"

I am a "white electronics junkie" so front face in white is also important to my choice, and so many tablets even if white are black in back. can't deal with that! Plus, even tho oldskool, i HAVE to have a "physical home button"...AND removable storage. Also, if i start to see pixels or screen isn't bright enuf, i obsess!

Tab S ticks every box for me.. Even has IR Blaster, not a necessity, but nice that its included : )

(Sorry for the rant, i know this is N9 forum, but once i get to talkin' 'bout my Tab S, there's no shuttin' me up : )

BTC
    gizmofla likes this.
    11-07-2014 05:13 AM
    I'm curious about the lag some people are experiencing? Like with what apps? I'm betting it's apps that aren't optimized for lollipop and ART yet. A lot of people are all up in arms about it. Wouldn't be surprised if it's just compatibility.
    That does seem to be the case, thing is for my simple needs there does seem to be a lot of issues.
    11-07-2014 06:33 AM
    I wonder if BB will be mad at me. Got the new Fire 8.9 HDx, took it back for the Nexus 9.. now the N9 is going back because this first batch has some quirky issues. My power button is pretty much below the edge. I have to dig in to power it on.
    11-07-2014 08:40 AM
    Do you really ever need to press the power button?
    - get a case that powers it on automatically when you flip it open and powers off when you close
    - or use the cool feature where you double-tap the screen to turn it on
    11-07-2014 08:44 AM
    i KNOW! i deserted Samsung after about 5 years of brand loyalty (phones) for EVERYTHING LG about a year ago. To me, Samsung was "slipping", had gotten stale, was naming EVERYTHING "Galaxy" and phones were getting better BUT lag was getting worse! Enter Tab S...!! Not gonna lie, still an occasional hesitation or hiccup, but they've streamlined Touchwiz in so many ways in addition to the thinness, screen, performance etc, its a delight to use EVERY TIME regardless... With other tablets (even if they've performed slightly better) i'm like "this tablet is boring!"

I am a "white electronics junkie" so front face in white is also important to my choice, and so many tablets even if white are black in back. can't deal with that! Plus, even tho oldskool, i HAVE to have a "physical home button"...AND removable storage. Also, if i start to see pixels or screen isn't bright enuf, i obsess!

Tab S ticks every box for me.. Even has IR Blaster, not a necessity, but nice that its included : )

(Sorry for the rant, i know this is N9 forum, but once i get to talkin' 'bout my Tab S, there's no shuttin' me up : )

BTC
    I got my wife a Samsung Tab S 10.5 in August for her birthday. It is her first tablet and she loves it. It has a nice screen and good battery life but I hate TouchWiz. TouchWiz and other Samsung quirky Android changes keeps me from every wanting to use a Samsung. It is like buying a laptop that runs a different version of Windows. I also hate the Samsung ugly "physical home button" that is old school ...and I have no use for SD card with free cloud storage. I will never trust Samsung to keep it's Android OS up to date based on their past of experience of abandoning their product updates.

Then there is the Tab S AMOLED screen that color reproductions are like Neon lights Colors that almost glow in the dark. Those colors are a long way from the true colors with the over saturation. Even pure white on the Samsung has a blue tint. Not saying AMOLED can't be pretty but it's colors aren't close to being natural.

Samsung has used the outdated OS to force you to buy a new product as a sales strategy. I got a friend that I recommenced a Samsung Tab 2 10.1 to in 2012 since he wanted a 10" screen and he still yells at me about not telling him that Samsung won't update the OS so you have to buy a new Tablet. My 2012 & 2013 Nexus 7 will both be running Android Lollypop and my friends Samsung will be stuck on 4.1 Jelly Bean forever. If Samsung did this with their Windows laptops no one would every buy their laptops again since they are disposable. The Samsung is perfect for my wife since she hates getting software updates or anything that changes. The Samsung Tab S isn't for me but it did show me that I want a larger screen than a Nexus 7 for gaming.
    11-07-2014 08:57 AM
72 123