Example of light bleed on the Nexus 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Here are a couple of picture i had taken of my Nexus 9 before returning, this is showing the light bleed. While some of you may think its not bad and im being picky it really isnt a case of that. when watching a movie like Gravity the screen has white glow around it, anything dark and the light bleed is annoying. creating various levels of blacks on your screen. Inconsistencies do not look good on a tablet like this. Obviously each tablet will be different some will be worse and some will be better.

IMG_20141105_081239.jpg
IMG_20141105_081320.jpg
IMG_20141105_081403.jpg

And one more things that drove really crazy was this..... and almost impossible to fully remove!

IMG_20141105_081533.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine is pretty bad as well. Going to go for an exchange to see if I get one that's a bit better. I can live with a little bit (as long as it's even), but the unevenness here is just no bueno.

g3gc9Tm.jpg

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine is pretty bad as well. Going to go for an exchange to see if I get one that's a bit better. I can live with a little bit (as long as it's even), but the unevenness here is just no bueno.

View attachment 146018

Wow yeah at least mine was like a constant line, yours is a mess and i dont mean that to sound horrible. Maybe this is why bestbuy have open box items for sale already online

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Wow yeah at least mine was like a constant line, yours is a mess and i dont mean that to sound horrible. Maybe this is why bestbuy have open box items for sale already online

Possibly. It's a damn shame too because everything else about it is excellent. While the light bleed isn't noticeable in most situations, I can't help but be drawn to it...especially on the navigation bar or when viewing videos. I might get used to it over time but there's no reason I shouldn't try to get another tablet for better results.

Feels like first gen Nexus 7 screen issues all over again.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Every tablet, notebook, and monitor I have had has had light bleed. I see it on my iPads, Nexus 7, Asus, and even on all my monitors. It is inherit to the way the screen is lit.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't light bleed ALMOST unavoidable with LCD technology based on how the screen is kit? For me it's been hit or miss with just about every LCD display panel I've had. Hopefully they are able to dial in the manufacturing process to bring this under control.

Posted via the Android Central App

littleemp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't light bleed ALMOST unavoidable with LCD technology based on how the screen is kit? For me it's been hit or miss with just about every LCD display panel I've had. Hopefully they are able to dial in the manufacturing process to bring this under control.

Yes, you are correct. You can't really avoid it. (Luckily it doesn't bother that much either)

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
this is true but the nexus 7 definitely has more light bleed than normal. (I went through 2) you don't see this nearly as much with say a Samsung device. I have 5 and not one has really any lightbleed at all.

Seth_Brower

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
So, so fast I have been apparently lucky that I have no noticeable light bleed even in a fully dark room.

I do notice the heat near the camera at times, but some of that I think I will just adjust how I am holding it to reduce the annoyance factor of it.

I am coming to this from nexus7 > nexus7 2013 > galaxy tab s 8.4. And while yes the letterboxing is a bit annoying with video, I am feeling quite good with my purchase so far.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
this is true but the nexus 7 definitely has more light bleed than normal. (I went through 2) you don't see this nearly as much with say a Samsung device. I have 5 and not one has really any lightbleed at all.

The problem with Samsung devices is the color inaccuracy. They oversaturate the colors to make them "pop". But, as a photographer I cannot stand inaccurate colors.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
The problem with Samsung devices is the colorimeter inaccuracy. They oversaturate the colors to make them "pop". But, as a photographer I cannot stand inaccurate colors.
That explains why I like the nexus screen colors better. Thanks. Also are all Samsung's like that or just the amoleds?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Even the regular Samsung LCDs seem over saturated. I just booted up my tab 3 8.0 and notice that when compared to my n7

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with the screen I'm looking at, minimal light bleed and color accuracy looks good to me.

If your light bleed situation seems bad I think there's hope in replacing it.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

I actually picked up a N7 2013 last night as well as the N9. N7 was unplanned but BB had a 32 GB LTE version on sale for the same price as the regular non-LTE 16GB. Couldn't pass it up. So I can compare light bleed on both and I got to say that N9 is more noticeable. Mine isn't quite as bad as the OP's picture but it is there. There is virtually no bleed in the N7.

That said, light bleed only approaches noticeable levels if you are in a darkened area with dark images on the screen. And if you read these conversations and look for it. 99.9% of the time it will not be a problem for me. Others may not tolerate any bleed and that is certainly their prerogative, but it is OK for me.

The buttons are the biggest annoyance for me. Too flush with the surface.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

View attachment 146018

I`ve just noticed something.... is your N9 a white or black unit, if its black then im noticing the aluminum band is different on your to mine, mine was black all round as your seems unfinished

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I`ve just noticed something.... is your N9 a white or black unit, if its black then im noticing the aluminum band is different on your to mine, mine was black all round as your seems unfinished

I have the white model which has all the silver aluminum band. Looks quite nice and the white backing actually feels really solid/nice. It's one of the reasons I'm hesitant on returning it now (also I don't really notice the light bleed as much anymore).

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the white model which has all the silver aluminum band. Looks quite nice and the white backing actually feels really solid/nice. It's one of the reasons I'm hesitant on returning it now (also I don't really notice the light bleed as much anymore).

I think im going to try a white version

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
One think I noticed on the screen bleed is the screen on this device can get incredibly bright. If I do not enable the screen adjustment to match ambient light I turn the brightness way down to around 20%. If I turn it up to 50% it show a lot of bleed but show do my iPads at about the same screen brightness, which is near 100% on the iPad.

Also, I noticed when the system first started and was installing the 200+ mb update the screen was near 50%, so very bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.