Nexus 9, overhyped flop

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I've berm very pleased with my n9. I've experienced the lightbleed, the difficult volume rocker, and some lag, buyer overall I've had a very good experience with it. Yes admittedly it's pricey, but I like mine and wouldn't have gotten anything else.

Posted via Android Central App

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Therein lies the dilemma -- if you want a "pure" AOSP tablet that's larger than 7" then this is your best bet. If Samsung is watching they'd ditch TouchWiz and focus on hardware and pull a Motorola by adding not overriding the AOSP functionality. Its been 5+ years and I think its obvious that app and platform specific stores, or repeated baseline functionality isn't widely adopted and people want good solid devices. It'll change in the next 5yrs.

Posted via the Android Central App

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I just bought the Nexus 9 16GB off eBay for $275 and the thing is basically brand new. First impressions is it is by far the best tablet I have ever used. The screen size is perfect it isn't to big and isn't to small. The 4:3 aspect ratio is a pleasant change of pace from what I have seen from past android tablets. The feel of the tablet is a little different. You have the premium feeling edges made of aluminum then the same back as the Nexus 7. I honestly love the soft touch backs opposed to all aluminum. The front facing speakers deliver excellent sound. I haven't checked for light bleed but I haven't noticed any in my first uses. I can't quite comment on the speed of the tablet, but Lollipop looks amazing on a bigger display. I honestly don't see how you can call this a flop. The only thing I think could be considered a flop is the price is a little to high. So far I am huge fan of this tablet

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I never thought it a horrible tablet so to speak, but the price is definitely too high for what you get. Guess that's why it is going down. They made their initial money off all of the first adopters and now can lower the price to a more fitting amount.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I never thought it a horrible tablet so to speak, but the price is definitely too high for what you get. Guess that's why it is going down. They made their initial money off all of the first adopters and now can lower the price to a more fitting amount.
My first IBM PC in 1983 was $4,300. I paid over $4,700 for an IBM workstation laptop 15 years ago. A little over $400 for what this baby can do? For me that's close to giving it away. I've had it since Christmas and it's one of the best devices I've ever owned.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
My first IBM PC in 1983 was $4,300. I paid over $4,700 for an IBM workstation laptop 15 years ago. A little over $400 for what this baby can do? For me that's close to giving it away. I've had it since Christmas and it's one of the best devices I've ever owned.

I agree with you in that it sounds like a great bang for the buck when you make those comparisons and start bringing up technology from decades ago, but it's all relative to the competition and what's available at the time, and relatively speaking this tablet is slightly overpriced.
I'm sure its a great tablet and if I wanted a tablet in that size range the n9 would probably be my choice for sure, but when buying it I would definitely not kid myself into thinking I'm getting a great deal and that I am stealing the tablet at $400.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I think, for me at least, the hardest pill to swallow with this tablet is the extremely low price of the previous nexus's and what a great deal they were. I mean I got my n7 for half the price of the n9.
I am not trying to put it down as I am a huge nexus fan. I guess the days of cheap nexus devices are gone?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The giveaway prices of the early Nexus devices have definitely gone the way of the dinosaur. Although I've spent more for dinner and a show than the cost of my Nexus 9.

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
People shouldn't expect this thing to be priced anywhere near the Nexus 7. You have gone from 7 inches to 8.9 inches which right there brings up the price. You get a better display, bigger battery, aluminum edges, newest processor, and more. The Nexus 7 was an amazing price for what you got. Honestly I believe this tablet is worth what you pay for it. The Nexus brand has always been know for being cheaper, and for once google priced this tablet where they could make money and not where they could just sell a ton. If you look at other tablets, I believe this is a fair price to ask even though a lot of people aren't willing to pay it. As I said earlier they should have priced it lower if they wanted to sell more, but maybe they cared about actually making money.

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just received a 9 from Amazon (white). I've been using a 10 for two years, now.

Will come back and give my opinion on it. So far, though, much prefer the 9's aspect ratio. It is faster in all aspects. More later.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 9 is indeed fast and smooth for most part of the operation. Not sure is it because of this that is making any intermittent lags to be magnified and less tolerable to me.

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't matter if it's not the same as the nexus 7, and doesn't matter if it's a good deal compared to a 1995 PC. What matters is that it's priced near to an iPad but nowhere nearly built with that kind of quality

Stop saying it is priced near an iPad. $100 is actually a pretty big difference to most people and oh yeah why don't we compare it to the iPad Mini 3 which happens to be the same price and storage as the Nexus 9, but you get a much bigger screen than the mini. People need to stop saying the prices are comparable when you get a 32GB Nexus 9 for Cheaper than a 16GB iPad Air

ShiftyF9

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't matter if it's not the same as the nexus 7, and doesn't matter if it's a good deal compared to a 1995 PC. What matters is that it's priced near to an iPad but nowhere nearly built with that kind of quality

I'm far from an expert, shopping for my first table, but I agree completely, and this is the main reason I'm having a difficult time pulling the trigger on a Nexus 9 (well, actually bought one of the "bad builds" last weekend and returned it). I think the Nexus 9 is more comparable to the first iPad Air, which the rest of my family owns, and the Nexus 9 is only marginally cheaper than one of these -- yet the builds of the two aren't remotely comparable. If only I could load Android on an iPad ....

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
What makes the aluminum casing of the iPad so "premium"? Aluminum is the most abundant metal on earth. Aluminum is the cheapest of all metals. Aluminum is by far the softest of all metals. Beer and Coke cans are made of aluminum because it's by far the cheapest packaging solution. But when we wrap an Apple product in aluminum it suddenly becomes "premium" instead of the cheapest covering available. Isn't it interesting what marketing can do for the perception of quality?

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to make sense of some of these responses. I'm curious about some things. A Nexus 9 tablet that has either flexing, flush buttons, or light bleed is not premium and is over priced (based on the comments). For the Nexus 9 tablets that have none of the build issues, are they overpriced? Are the Nexus 9 tablets that don't have build issues premium?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Rather, what makes a device not premium? How about a squishy back, sunken buttons, and light bleed right out the gate? And you can play words about aluminum all you want, everyone knows that ipads look and feel like high quality. Nobody has ever contested that other than hardcore fanboy consumers (meaning nobody of note or distinction in tech media circles).

Exactly! To me The n9 just has a cheap feel to it plain and simple no matter what it is or isn't made out of. That seems to be the general consensus on here as well.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Exactly! To me The n9 just has a cheap feel to it plain and simple no matter what it is or isn't made out of. That seems to be the general consensus on here as well.
It's interesting to see the different responses to what is perceived as build quality. I've owned the Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7, and Nexus 9. My favorites for build quality by a wide margin have been the Nexus 5, Nexus 7, and Nexus 9. I really like the feel of rubberized polycarbonate of these devices. For me they look and feel to be very high quality. I like holding them for longer time periods when reading my Kindle books. This is as opposed to the slippery, colder feel of aluminum devices which for me really don't have the quality I'm wanting. Of course, as in all things, Your Mileage May Vary.

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I have not had light bleed, I have not had a problem with a squishy back, or problems with the buttons. People will come complain on forums when something goes wrong with a tablet and then you will see a ton of responses of the same problem. That is the problem with these forums they make smaller problems seem much larger. Just because people on this forum have a problem doesn't mean everyone does. I have watched many reviews and they had the button and light bleed problem all those were early production units. So stop claiming every single Nexus 9 has this problem. Go to an iPad forum and you will see they have problems with their tablets to. No tablet is perfect and forums have done more harm than good

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I have not had light bleed, I have not had a problem with a squishy back, or problems with the buttons. People will come complain on forums when something goes wrong with a tablet and then you will see a ton of responses of the same problem. That is the problem with these forums they make smaller problems seem much larger. Just because people on this forum have a problem doesn't mean everyone does. I have watched many reviews and they had the button and light bleed problem all those were early production units. So stop claiming every single Nexus 9 has this problem. Go to an iPad forum and you will see they have problems with their tablets to. No tablet is perfect and forums have done more harm than good

These forums also educate people to make informed decisions.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
These forums also educate people to make informed decisions.

I agree. Marketing can make any product sound fantastic. But, when numerous real purchasers say they are experiencing issues then that is something a perspective buyer should check out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital