11-13-2014 04:12 PM
47 12
tools
    Why do people say "claim to have bought" like I didn't really... That is so very annoying.. I've had over 30 phones and over 20 tablets in 18 months. Yes I felt like the shield was better value for money and still do at the moment but like I've said elsewhere when I knew it was 10 minutes away from me I had to have one. I'm an electronics geek, always will be, also have an iPad air, an iPad mini, an iPhone 5s a Mac Mini, a chromebook, and a nexus 7 2013.

So now you can see why I bought it... Only things I can resist temptation on are touchwiz products... Because of touchwiz

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-06-2014 05:53 PM
    I'm only new to this forum...and AE seems to be a tad forthright, as am I. Strong opinions help us unveil stuff.

I don't care about comparisons to 5.0 since they'll all have that soon enough. So talk about the hardware differences...and maybe even what you use it for. I'm not a jvideo gamer...I just use a tab at night in front of the TV when I'm too lazy to go downstairs, and when we travel...so I want the weather, maps with gps, good browsing, fb, card games, Pandora, that sort of thing. My old Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is finally beginning to get unhappy. But I've had it 4-5 years, so no complaints.
    11-06-2014 05:58 PM
    1st I also don't play games on my tablet neither, not even on my shield.

I use a tablet a lot like you, media consumption basically, daily tasks and work as I need a bigger screen to read blueprints while on the go as the 5 inch screen on my HTC one doesn't cut it when looking at 20 page PDF files with small details.

So hardware wise the screen on the Nexus 9 is better without a doubt and I also say the aspect ratio is much better at 4:3 even though I hated the thought of android at that ratio when 1st announced I quickly fell in love with it.

Speed wise I was impressed with the 9 the first night, even my Apple employee and fan girl woman was amazed how smooth and fast it was. After a solid days use the 9 started to lag, as if it struggled multi tasking. Some people say this happens with the Shield also so maybe its K1 related but I have not experienced that just like some have not on their 9.

Sound wise they are on a par, the nexus is a little louder but not as full

The aluminum rim on the nexus I found started to kinda dig into my hand after holding in one hand for a while, again the shield can also feel this way but at 8 inches its much more tolerable in one hand ( yeah I know.. That's what she said)

The shield for me was just the better built device, feels much more solid, also has stock android, starts at $300 and performs excellent. Maybe best buy had a bad initial batch, I dunno, they have already got open box 9s for sale on there website so its not only me.

Even though I was skeptical of the 9 and didn't see the value at $479 I still had to see for myself and the 9 just didn't work out, I wish it did as 4:3 is a much better android experience

Zorro1 likes this.
    11-06-2014 06:13 PM
    Here is where I'm at with the N9..... I have the 16 Gig black back purchased at best buy day 1. Mine does have an issue with the back panel not fitting properly and flexing. It's is kind of annoying. That almost entirely sums up the negative.

The screen is quite nice with zero bleed. The buttons are fine. Lollipop is fantastic. I'm actually really enjoying the tablet. The battery is about what I expected and I anticipate it will improve with an update or two. There have been occasional app issues but overall I feel like L was more ready for rollout than kitkat was. I had concerns that I would be waiting weeks for hbo go and others to be updated. No problems there. The apps I use most frequently are running fine.

I'm going to take a wait and see approach and see how I feel about the flexing after a couple of weeks. I assume it will be even longer until I could actually exchange it and walk out with another one anyway. I wish I got one with no flex but it's possible that I won't even notice after a while.

11-06-2014 06:22 PM
    So far I'm very impressed with my nexus 9! I really like how the back feels, the screen is sharp and bright, lollipop is fantastic, and so far everything is running smoothly.

Downsides: I saw a small amount of light bleed on one side while waiting for the OS update to finish and like some other posters I think the buttons are too flush.

Overall definitely on the positive side: solid build with no unusual flexing or lag, it feels great in the hand, and my worries after reading some of the negative reviews are a thing of the past.
    quadtronix, nofiz and Westiemom like this.
    11-06-2014 06:29 PM
    Just got my unit. I believe have the worse lightbleed I have seen. The very top of the display is uniformly much brighter for exactly 1/4 inch. It almost looks like it was designed to be this way. Unless something changes it is going back. I got 3 minutes use from the device

Posted via Android Central App
    11-06-2014 07:35 PM
    Best $400 I've ever spent...

Sent via Tapatalk from my Nexus N!ne... -The Next Generation of Nexus-
    11-06-2014 07:50 PM
    I have no "bounce" in the back cover, at least none that I can notice.

I watched Gravity last light in the dark and noticed no significant light-bleed. A tiny bit in one corner that I would never have noticed if someone hadn't said to look for it.

I have only noticed no more heat than I have felt in every device I have owned.

I have had no sluggishness, it is have been the fastest, smoothest device I have owned, including iOS devices.

Unless you prefer metal to soft-touch (I don't) then the build quality and "fit and finish" of my Nexus 9 is the equal of my wife's iPad Air.

What I can say without doubt is that this is the best Android tablet I have used and, because of Lollipop, better than an iPad Air.
    Thanks for the post! I am experiencing none of the issues written about in reviews or hyperbolized about in the forums. The power and volume buttons are a bit more recessed than common. Similar to the buttons on the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4. Not enough to whine about frankly.
    zedz, Shilohcane and bhaskararao like this.
    11-06-2014 09:04 PM
    So, I pre-ordered an N9 from the Play Store a couple of weeks ago but then when I found out my local Best Buy had them in stock I cancelled my Play Store order and went to grab one a day early.

Long story short, my Play Store order didn't get sufficiently cancelled and I am now sitting here with two N9's.

Number 1, the tablet from Best Buy is a really solid build. Very little light bleed, no flex in the back panel, prominent volume buttons. However, the battery life is poor and it gets very hot (not warm, HOT) near the camera lens.

Number 2, the one from the Play Store, has very poor build quality. Lots of light bleed, bouncy rear panel, terribly recessed volume buttons but what seems to be much better battery life and no perceivable overheating issues.

Don't get me wrong, overall I absolutely love this tablet and I plan on sticking with it, but I can tell you that pretty much all of the issues people are complaining about are real and sitting right here in front of me between these two tablets.

pappabas likes this.
    11-06-2014 10:54 PM
    I was thinking aboutt buying one from the Play Store under the premise that those might be less issue-prone. Not sure what to do now. My local BB's dont have any in stock.
    11-07-2014 12:19 AM
    Has anyone checked the CPU temp during the times of warmth? Wondering how hot this thing gets.
    11-08-2014 05:08 AM
    Why do people say "claim to have bought" like I didn't really... That is so very annoying.. I've had over 30 phones and over 20 tablets in 18 months. Yes I felt like the shield was better value for money and still do at the moment but like I've said elsewhere when I knew it was 10 minutes away from me I had to have one. I'm an electronics geek, always will be, also have an iPad air, an iPad mini, an iPhone 5s a Mac Mini, a chromebook, and a nexus 7 2013.

So now you can see why I bought it... Only things I can resist temptation on are touchwiz products... Because of touchwiz

Didn't you buy the Samsung galaxy tab pro 8.4 and then return it for the 10 inch model back in February?
    zedz likes this.
    11-08-2014 06:33 AM
    Didn't you buy the Samsung galaxy tab pro 8.4 and then return it for the 10 inch model back in February?
    Yeah

11-08-2014 07:59 AM
    Why are some people who have gotten good ones automatically assuming that people who are not content are just whining?
    First there is an individual tolerance and in that respect it is good to have some different impressions both good and bad. However do not assume your level of tolerance is the standard. We are all different.
    Second there seems to be quite a bit of variablity in quality which in itself is an indicator of a untuned/not ready-manufacturing process.
    Which of these two factors strongest influences a persons impressions is hard to deduce. Just be aware that it exists and please stop insulting people who have a different experience than yourself.
    gizmofla, nupicasso and jerrykur like this.
    11-08-2014 09:18 AM
    I think part of it is just getting something as soon as released. So I absolutely believe that there are issues with some of them that are pretty bad! Buying the first tablets off the line is generally chancier than sitting back for a few months to wait out early build issue problems.

I've been lucky with my Nexus 9 Play Store purchase so far, it does have a tiny bit of light bleed and an area that creaks slightly on the back if poked at, but they are minor. I'm *very* pleased with the performance of the device. If anything further develops, it can always go back to the Play Store for an exchange.

But I also remember the Nexus 7 releases, both were full of issues. Screen lift on the 2012 version, touch issues on the 2013. Lots of people having serious problems with their purchases in terms of function! I got what seemed to be a fine 2013 Nexus 7 via pre-order, but within a month, it failed to boot past the "X". The second one from the Play Store was as good as the first and I had no further issues. Sheer luck though!

On the 2012 release, I waited it out before buying one for my husband and it was perfect and he still uses and loves it, though he also has a 2013 version. His 2013 version was also bought several months after the release. He wants a Nexus 9 for Xmas, but when I offered to let him have it early, he said he was content to wait. Smart, that man!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    11-08-2014 12:15 PM
    I got the 32gb white, the rear panel is coming off in 2 areas, it has an annoying click every time I hold it because of this, light bleed is present and even after the open box update the thing is still laggy as hell. Even the all apps button just gets stuck sometimes and have to reboot.
    11-08-2014 12:35 PM
    How about the buttons, people say they are wobbly and fit poorly, and battery life?
    Got mine yesterday, no wobbly buttons - fit and finish beautiful. No squishy back either..... If you press very hard you can get it to give a tad in the back. But why would you do that? I only tried it because of all the talk about it. I was prepared to be disappointed after all the talk while I was waiting for mine, but I'm quite pleased with it!
    quadtronix likes this.
    11-08-2014 03:49 PM
    Has anyone checked the CPU temp during the times of warmth? Wondering how hot this thing gets.
    Mine got hot at the very beginning when I chose to "restore" it from my Nexus 7. During set up it gives you the choice to set it up by downloading all apps and configuration from another device. This was A LOT of downloading and it got hot around the camera corner during that. I thought this might be a problem all the time but I have watched videos, played games and pretty much stayed on it constantly and at the most it has gotten very slightly warm like any other device I have under the same conditions. It has not gotten HOT like that again but I would never be downloading tons of apps at one time like that again either.
    11-08-2014 04:10 PM
    Agreed! Received my Nexus 9 yesterday.

I can confirm:
    No significant light bleed at all. In fact there is almost absolutely none except for a very, very, very tiny amount on one corner, however even in total darkness when there are black bands on the screen this is not noticeable and I only discovered it by tilting the screen at certain angles in the darkness and seeing some slight change in light bleed at that particular point on a particular angle.
    FWIW my iPad screen (the high-res 'New iPad' that became old after 6months) is terrible in terms of colour consistency. I had the first one replaced but the replacement unit is no better - really noticeable yellow tint that fads from one entire side of the screen to the middle of the display, at which point a pink tint fades on the other half of the screen! Does my head in.

Very slight springyness on the middle-back of the cover. I wouldn't have noticed this except I read about it on a review and tried pressing the centre-back panel of my own. Moves ever so slightly but certainly not enough to feel or notice during normal holding or use.

Buttons are a tight fit. But as noted elsewhere, they sit too flush with the device and would benefit from being slightly more raised. First world problems...

It does run hot when under load. The heat generated appears to come mostly from the top left (or right?) of the device when downloading/loading a lot of stuff or running graphics-heavy games. No noticeable heat under other circumstances (web browsing etc.)

It's fast like greasy unicorns riding lightening bolts in the middle of a snow storm raining down drops of grease at the speed of light. Seriously I don't understand how any reviewer of this tablet managed to get it to stutter even once, doing any number of activities simultaneously. Example: no slow down at all whilst transferring a 1GB file over WiFi between my phone and the N9, whilst torrenting another 1GB file, listening to Google Play, installing a large game (Hitman Go) and surfing the web. How much more can a person do simultaneously?!

It's pretty small. And is generally better for it. Compared to my iPad is much smaller and lighter (I have a pre-Air iPad). The screen is small enough that swipe-based typing is manageable and efficient, and the device itself is pretty damn light. I found myself using my Nexus 5 less to read regular news/web browsing because it was easier with the N9 and - glory of glories - the N9 gives you an option to set it up by 'restoring' your Nexus 5 profile (allowing you to choose which apps you want) including all the user accounts, settings etc., so I was right at home with the N9 straight away!

The camera is fine/ok. I doubt anyone will use this to replace their phone camera or dSLR and why would you? It's hard to use a tablet as a camera! That said, it's fine for what it does and the colour balance seems accurate under a variety of lighting conditions. It does acceptably well in low light but it won't blow your mind.

The sound is pretty amazing. The front facing speakers make all the difference compared to the bottom-firing iPad speakers. It makes the iPad sound like listening to a gramophone.

Lollipop is an absolute delight. Blows iOS8 out of the water but a country mile. Lollipop is consistent in every area of the system in terms of animation and behaviour and it's awesome. I have both iOS8 and the N9 and side by side the N9 makes IOS8 look a full generation behind.

I've seen several reviews that gave the N9 fairly average scores but I can only assume they received pre-production units. I've experienced absolutely none of the issues it's been marked down for (noted above). Buy this tablet - it's amazing.

Hope that helps anyone contemplating buying this device. The only reason you have not to buy this device is if you prefer manufacturer skins or simply don't have the coin for it.
    11-10-2014 10:30 PM
    On the speed issue, my experience is that it is getting even faster over time. Someone told me this could be due to ART.
    11-11-2014 12:53 PM
    Mine arrived from the Play store last week. I've used it daily since then, and quite a bit. I've watched videos, read three books with the Kindle app (both in the dark and in a lit room) and surfed the web quite a bit. I don't see any quality issues in my unit. I've got no light bleed, the back doesn't flex as some have said. It's extremely fast. The battery life is better than my 2013 N7, and I love the 4:3 screen. I hated the screen length on the 2013 N7. For some reason it always bugged me.

The only issue I've had is that if I try to put too many icons in a dock space, I lose everything in that spot. I really want to like the Google launcher, but went back to Nova because of that. Obviously that isn't even a hardware issue.

I'm extremely happy with my unit! My phone is an HTC, and I like that so much that I went for this tablet because of HTC, and I have not been disappointed. I do wish some cases were out for it though...klutz that I am I'm scared to death I'll drop it.
    jstwondrng, Vance14 and nofiz like this.
    11-13-2014 07:56 AM
    I am so worried about damaging it that I only use it at home!
    11-13-2014 04:12 PM
47 12