11-28-2014 03:45 PM
58 123
tools
    Same here bro .. Lightbleed a little bit but it's not bothering me .. But the display is not that good ,, maybe its just my device .. But n7 2013 display is good than n9 IMO.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-16-2014 07:28 PM
    I've been reading reviews, testimonials, and have played with it on the store. For the $399 16GB price, I can't think of but only a few tablets that can compete with the N9 based on my criteria:

1. Screen size
    2. Screen Resolution
    3. Multimedia experience (A/V)
    4. Hardware performance
    5. Software performance

Based on my brief time with the N9, I think it's a very good tablet (pending if it doesn't have the quibbles regarding light bleed).

11-16-2014 11:05 PM
    I've been reading reviews, testimonials, and have played with it on the store. For the $399 16GB price, I can't think of but only a few tablets that can compete with the N9 based on my criteria:

1. Screen size
    2. Screen Resolution
    3. Multimedia experience (A/V)
    4. Hardware performance
    5. Software performance

Based on my brief time with the N9, I think it's a very good tablet (pending if it doesn't have the quibbles regarding light bleed).

I have to say, I played around with it in store myself and had VERY limited exposure to it but I really like it. I had no problems with the display or the back bending a bit. I really LOVE the 4:3 ratio and I'm looking forward to using the tablet for surfing the web and reading books. N7 was a very good tablet but I'm ready to move to the N9.

J
    11-18-2014 07:43 AM
    I think the bottom line is pretty simple here. If you get a unit that has the "bounce" issue or significant lightbleed, then it would definitely not be worth the money. If you got a unit that does not have those problems (and from reading here, that actually sounds like the majority), then whether it is worth the money depends on a number of factors: how much value do you place on having a Nexus device? Do you prefer soft-touch or metal? Do you like a 4:3 aspect ratio, etc. If you are like me, all of those factors favor the Nexus 9 and so it is definitely worth the money for me.

So, to say it is definitely not worth the money is silly, and to insist that it is right for everyone is equally silly. All I can say is that it is the best tablet I have owned and I am more than happy with my purchase.
    Shilohcane likes this.
    11-18-2014 03:42 PM
    I've been lucky, there is no significant "bounce" on mine and the lightbleed that does exist is very small. The thing I was most skeptical about was the 4:3 aspect ratio. I'm starting to believe that I'm starting like this aspect ratio better. I think that most of the nits I've had with this device is related to the infant nature of Lollipop. That is apps that don't work or don't work correctly, stutters in Chrome, and the flicker that happens when you rotate the device from portrait to landscape when using the Google Now Launcher. I expect that those things will be fixed in short order (notwithstanding the botched L -->Q version update).

Shilohcane likes this.
    11-18-2014 04:09 PM
    If you got a unit that does not have those problems (and from reading here, that actually sounds like the majority), then whether it is worth the money depends on a number of factors: how much value do you place on having a Nexus device? Do you prefer soft-touch or metal? Do you like a 4:3 aspect ratio, etc. If you are like me, all of those factors favor the Nexus 9 and so it is definitely worth the money for me.

So, to say it is definitely not worth the money is silly, and to insist that it is right for everyone is equally silly. All I can say is that it is the best tablet I have owned and I am more than happy with my purchase.
    Actually from reading here and the reviews from Jerry, AndroidPolice, ArsTechnica etc. I'd say the the opposite is true: most have squishy/bouncy backs, and probably most of them have light bleed, too.Now, it might not bother them, but it means quality control let those things unchecked. What else did they let go through? And with premium prices should come premium quality control and it's not there.
    And there are now several people here in the forum that exchanged their units and got other one with similar problems. So it is absolutely NOT silly to say the nexus 9 is overpriced. In the US with plenty of Black Friday promotions bringing the iPad Air 2 for the same price or cheaper (in particular for the 16GB model) you have to look at the whole.picture. . Maybe you're fine with overpaying, many people are, but that doesn't change that in the large picture the N9 is quality wise not competitive at their chosen price point.
    Many people think Apple is overpriced but if that is true than Google/HTC do the same.
    11-18-2014 07:29 PM
    Actually from reading here and the reviews from Jerry, AndroidPolice, ArsTechnica etc. I'd say the the opposite is true: most have squishy/bouncy backs, and probably most of them have light bleed, too.Now, it might not bother them, but it means quality control let those things unchecked. What else did they let go through? And with premium prices should come premium quality control and it's not there.
    And there are now several people here in the forum that exchanged their units and got other one with similar problems. So it is absolutely NOT silly to say the nexus 9 is overpriced. In the US with plenty of Black Friday promotions bringing the iPad Air 2 for the same price or cheaper (in particular for the 16GB model) you have to look at the whole.picture. . Maybe you're fine with overpaying, many people are, but that doesn't change that in the large picture the N9 is quality wise not competitive at their chosen price point.
    Many people think Apple is overpriced but if that is true than Google/HTC do the same.
    You are replying and the wrong thread. This is not a complaint thread.[language removed by mod]

11-18-2014 08:47 PM
    Nexus 9 is .31 inches thick. That's .787 centimeters. 7.87 millimeters.

The posts I have read in this thread say the back flexes 2 - 3 millimeters on them? Almost half the thickness of the tablet?

Please explain.
    11-18-2014 09:03 PM
    Nexus 9 is .31 inches thick. That's .787 centimeters. 7.87 millimeters.

The posts I have read in this thread say the back flexes 2 - 3 millimeters on them? Almost half the thickness of the tablet?

Please explain.
    Exaggeration? 3 millimeters is a lot and would be easy to see in a picture. I'm sorry for those that are disappointed in the N9 and hope they get a good one or their money back. I'm still happy with mine and think it's money well spent. I'm allergic to apples anyway.
    11-18-2014 09:22 PM
    You are replying and the wrong thread. This is not a complaint thread.
    Do you have anything to reasonable to contribute like care to explain why EVERY reviewer from AndroidCentral to ArsTechnica mentioned these issues since they're obviously so rare? Or why several people here in the forum exchanged their N9 because of the light bleed and ended up with another one? Why are there open-box items ready to ship at BestBuy.com for this "awesome" tablet for at least a week? Didn't think so. Don't let facts get in the way.

I didn't know this thread was for Google Nexus 9 cult members. You are just as bad as the Apple cult followers, spewing personal attacks.

As to the person asking how it can be 2-3mm when the tablet is only 7.87 mm. How do YOU know it is only that thick? Where did HTC measure the thickness, next to the aluminum frame? All I can tell you is that at the thickest point of MY tablet (the Nexus sign on the back) it gave in 2-3 mm. I didn't measure the thickness of the tablet as a whole. I guess once the back gave in in it probably was 7.87 mm thick but that doesn't change the fact that it gave in that much, does it. And no, I didn't exaggerate, I know what 2-3 mm actually are. But here is a thought, why don't you measure the thickness to check whether it is actually 7.87 mm thick or maybe thicker? Tell us whether there is some flex in the back.

I don't need to rant to feel better. I thought the personal experience would be helpful to someone considering the purchase of the Nexus 9 and this tablet is currently overpriced for what is provided by HTC.

I'm done with this site. If a reasonable discussion can not be had, than I don't have to be here.
    11-19-2014 08:49 AM
    The Nexus 9 does have some awesomeness, but at this price I'd prefer a bit more quality and consistency.
    brosko and nofiz like this.
    11-19-2014 09:37 AM
    Doesn't look that awesome to me. Combined US and UK Amazon reviews = 127 so far, and the average review is 3 1/2 stars, much lower than any other major tablet.
    11-19-2014 12:06 PM
    At least partially, the device has a budget feel to it without the budget price.

Seriously, all they needed to was eliminate that damn play in the back and this isn't a bad tablet at all. Put an f'ing piece foam in there, HTC.
    11-19-2014 05:31 PM
    I love mine. Yes it has some light bleed, but I don't really notice it after I boot into the OS.

Aredubu likes this.
    11-19-2014 10:22 PM
    Nice summary comparison of tablet chips and some benchmarks.

iPad Air 2 vs Nexus 9 vs China Tablets! | Mobile Droid Blog
    11-20-2014 08:45 AM
    So it is absolutely NOT silly to say the nexus 9 is overpriced. In the US with plenty of Black Friday promotions bringing the iPad Air 2 for the same price or cheaper (in particular for the 16GB model) you have to look at the whole.picture. . Maybe you're fine with overpaying, many people are, but that doesn't change that in the large picture the N9 is quality wise not competitive at their chosen price point.
    Second time you pumped Apple. Everything that Apple makes is overpriced. Apple is a single propitiatory walled garden or closed ecosystem so they can over charge for their devices and Apps. Apple App store doesn't allow you to buy Apps anywhere else like Android that is open market and open to dozens of manufactures with abundant devices and designs. If you don't like Apples embedded Apps too bad you picked the wrong company that thinks people don't have the right to replace their designs that is one device fits all way too often.

Hell will freeze over before I give Apple another penny of my money after they ripped me off on their overpriced devices that broke time after time.
    11-20-2014 11:28 AM
    Second time you pumped Apple. Everything that Apple makes is overpriced. Apple is a single propitiatory walled garden or closed ecosystem so they can over charge for their devices and Apps. Apple App store doesn't allow you to buy Apps anywhere else like Android that is open market and open to dozens of manufactures with abundant devices and designs. If you don't like Apples embedded Apps too bad you picked the wrong company that thinks people don't have the right to replace their designs that is one device fits all way too often.

Hell will freeze over before I give Apple another penny of my money after they ripped me off on their overpriced devices that broke time after time.
    I agree in regards to tablets, I would never purchase an ipad. I enjoy playing MAME games and you cannot do so on an idevice unless you jailbreak. Also, I feel tablets are more like laptops. I like the fact you can browse file and folder content whereas this cannot be accomplished on an idevice. I have a friend who is a major Apple cultist and he even admitted the ipad is nothing more than a larger iphone.

J
    11-20-2014 12:19 PM
    I just picked a 32 GB version up today, just to see if I would like it or not. The display at my BB had the squishy back. Mine does not. Will give it a few days, but so far this looks like a keeper.
    11-20-2014 04:39 PM
    I've had my Nexus 9 for a few days now and I also think it's a pretty awesome tablet.

I don't have the squishy back, though my partner does on hers (very slight indenting, not really noticeable). There's a bit of screen bleed which is noticeable when the tab is booting up and has the black screen. The bottom left corner and bottom right corner oozes a bit of light. Granted, it shouldn't be there, but it's not enough for me to complain or get it exchanged.

My only real issues were that it was kinda slow/laggy when I first got it. However last night I got the R update and it seems to have sped up the OS quite a bit, so it's better now.

I don't really have any 'issues' with the tablet, but it's definitely not a super high-end tablet like the iPad Air 2. The build is nice, but the plastic back feels kinda cheap and boring. The design is nice, love the 4:3 aspect ratio. The speakers aren't as good as my HTC One M8. They definitely sound 'muddier'. Also the tab heats up quite a bit which I'm not too comfortable with.

But overall, I've enjoyed it a lot. It's a nice experience.
    11-20-2014 11:36 PM
    I've unfortunately got one with a fairly significant amount of light bleed. Mostly from the upper right and lower right corners. It's not really noticeable unless the screen is really dark, but since I use a tablet mostly for watching movies/TV, to could become an issue.

No squishy back, though, so that's nice.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-21-2014 07:56 AM
    First of all, I do like the N9. Very responsive. It is not perfect though and the imperfections given the price point may turn some off. I got mine at BB with the $100 off promo. I probably would not have purchased this at $399 but the net $299 I paid alleviates most of the issues.

Some cons:
    There is more lightbleed than most higher end tablets. It is not very noticeable to me unless I really look for it. I guess I don't have one of the bad units.
    No flex in the back for me. Again, I seem to have one of the better units.
    Slow boot speed from power off state.
    The buttons. This is a big fail. Very difficult to manipulate. Really no excuse for the flush design. This is my biggest con.

Pro's:
    Great display.
    Very responsive.
    4:3 aspect makes reading and browsing much better in portrait.

Anyone with software issues or complaints should hold off judgment until build R is installed. Google did no one a favor by releasing this with inferior H (I think) builds. The update to L that everyone had to accept was also messed up. L seems to be a bit buggy too. I finally flashed the R factory image. This is the build that should have come out of the box. Everything seems to work as expected. My wife, who wanted to return this, is feeling different with R in place.

On a side note, even though I had to wipe the device to flash R, Google seems to have a much better restore experience with lollipop. Signed on to the google account and it asked what device to restore from, which was of course the backed up N9. Wallpapers, shortcuts, and widgets all came back to the home pages. All installed programs downloaded and updated.

Very nice Google.
    11-21-2014 10:33 AM

Anyone with software issues or complaints should hold off judgment until build R is installed. Google did no one a favor by releasing this with inferior H (I think) builds. The update to L that everyone had to accept was also messed up. L seems to be a bit buggy too. I finally flashed the R factory image. This is the build that should have come out of the box. Everything seems to work as expected. My wife, who wanted to return this, is feeling different with R in place.

On a side note, even though I had to wipe the device to flash R, Google seems to have a much better restore experience with lollipop. Signed on to the google account and it asked what device to restore from, which was of course the backed up N9. Wallpapers, shortcuts, and widgets all came back to the home pages. All installed programs downloaded and updated.

Very nice Google.
    I agree R has made a big difference. I like the N9 with L, but it felt buggy, a bit slow and stuttered. R has made me feel like I'm using the tablet the way it was meant to be used. It's fast, stable and smooth. There are, to be sure, still a few bugs, but at this point it seems that this is something than can be mostly addressed by app developers. I am at a point of saying I love this tablet.

11-21-2014 11:06 AM
    First, there definitely seems to have been an issue with the early batch that went out to reviewers and some of the initial purchasers hear seem to have gotten some of they same run. But, if you look at the whole of this forum (especially considering that forums tend to bring out complaints), the large majority are NOT having these problems. That is why it is silly to say that it is *definitely* over-priced, since IF you didn't happen to be one of the unlucky ones that got part of that bad batch, then it is very much worth the price. If you were one of the unlucky ones, then of course it is overpriced for a defective unit.
    Habiib, Aredubu and NicksGarage like this.
    11-21-2014 12:51 PM

Very nice Google.
    I agree with you there, R is the software version the tab should have launched with.

It's much faster, smoother and more stable, but unfortunately, the tab has been reviewed without that version so the reviews are mixed. Googles fault for not having the best software version at release or for reviewers.

Can only hope there are more updates in the future and the tab gets even better.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    11-21-2014 06:06 PM
    Mine has a loose back and rather bad light bleed in my opinion. But they are not big concerns to me. My biggest concern is laggy and stuttering software operations but so far it has been smooth and wonderful, so I dun plan to replace it.

A pity about the two main quality issues which bothered many people, as this is a really great device otherwise. Android lollipop is simply marvellous.
    11-21-2014 08:27 PM
58 123