The Nexus 9 is totally Awesome

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
So it is absolutely NOT silly to say the nexus 9 is overpriced. In the US with plenty of Black Friday promotions bringing the iPad Air 2 for the same price or cheaper (in particular for the 16GB model) you have to look at the whole.picture. . Maybe you're fine with overpaying, many people are, but that doesn't change that in the large picture the N9 is quality wise not competitive at their chosen price point.
Many people think Apple is overpriced but if that is true than Google/HTC do the same.

Second time you pumped Apple. Everything that Apple makes is overpriced. Apple is a single propitiatory walled garden or closed ecosystem so they can over charge for their devices and Apps. Apple App store doesn't allow you to buy Apps anywhere else like Android that is open market and open to dozens of manufactures with abundant devices and designs. If you don't like Apples embedded Apps too bad you picked the wrong company that thinks people don't have the right to replace their designs that is one device fits all way too often.

Hell will freeze over before I give Apple another penny of my money after they ripped me off on their overpriced devices that broke time after time.

Last edited:

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Second time you pumped Apple. Everything that Apple makes is overpriced. Apple is a single propitiatory walled garden or closed ecosystem so they can over charge for their devices and Apps. Apple App store doesn't allow you to buy Apps anywhere else like Android that is open market and open to dozens of manufactures with abundant devices and designs. If you don't like Apples embedded Apps too bad you picked the wrong company that thinks people don't have the right to replace their designs that is one device fits all way too often.

Hell will freeze over before I give Apple another penny of my money after they ripped me off on their overpriced devices that broke time after time.

I agree in regards to tablets, I would never purchase an ipad. I enjoy playing MAME games and you cannot do so on an idevice unless you jailbreak. Also, I feel tablets are more like laptops. I like the fact you can browse file and folder content whereas this cannot be accomplished on an idevice. I have a friend who is a major Apple cultist and he even admitted the ipad is nothing more than a larger iphone.

J

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I just picked a 32 GB version up today, just to see if I would like it or not. The display at my BB had the squishy back. Mine does not. Will give it a few days, but so far this looks like a keeper.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 9 for a few days now and I also think it's a pretty awesome tablet.

I don't have the squishy back, though my partner does on hers (very slight indenting, not really noticeable). There's a bit of screen bleed which is noticeable when the tab is booting up and has the black screen. The bottom left corner and bottom right corner oozes a bit of light. Granted, it shouldn't be there, but it's not enough for me to complain or get it exchanged.

My only real issues were that it was kinda slow/laggy when I first got it. However last night I got the R update and it seems to have sped up the OS quite a bit, so it's better now.

I don't really have any 'issues' with the tablet, but it's definitely not a super high-end tablet like the iPad Air 2. The build is nice, but the plastic back feels kinda cheap and boring. The design is nice, love the 4:3 aspect ratio. The speakers aren't as good as my HTC One M8. They definitely sound 'muddier'. Also the tab heats up quite a bit which I'm not too comfortable with.

But overall, I've enjoyed it a lot. It's a nice experience.

monkmullen

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I've unfortunately got one with a fairly significant amount of light bleed. Mostly from the upper right and lower right corners. It's not really noticeable unless the screen is really dark, but since I use a tablet mostly for watching movies/TV, to could become an issue.

No squishy back, though, so that's nice.

Posted via Android Central App

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
First of all, I do like the N9. Very responsive. It is not perfect though and the imperfections given the price point may turn some off. I got mine at BB with the $100 off promo. I probably would not have purchased this at $399 but the net $299 I paid alleviates most of the issues.

Some cons:
There is more lightbleed than most higher end tablets. It is not very noticeable to me unless I really look for it. I guess I don't have one of the bad units.
No flex in the back for me. Again, I seem to have one of the better units.
Slow boot speed from power off state.
The buttons. This is a big fail. Very difficult to manipulate. Really no excuse for the flush design. This is my biggest con.

Pro's:
Great display.
Very responsive.
4:3 aspect makes reading and browsing much better in portrait.

Anyone with software issues or complaints should hold off judgment until build R is installed. Google did no one a favor by releasing this with inferior H (I think) builds. The update to L that everyone had to accept was also messed up. L seems to be a bit buggy too. I finally flashed the R factory image. This is the build that should have come out of the box. Everything seems to work as expected. My wife, who wanted to return this, is feeling different with R in place.

On a side note, even though I had to wipe the device to flash R, Google seems to have a much better restore experience with lollipop. Signed on to the google account and it asked what device to restore from, which was of course the backed up N9. Wallpapers, shortcuts, and widgets all came back to the home pages. All installed programs downloaded and updated.

Very nice Google.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone with software issues or complaints should hold off judgment until build R is installed. Google did no one a favor by releasing this with inferior H (I think) builds. The update to L that everyone had to accept was also messed up. L seems to be a bit buggy too. I finally flashed the R factory image. This is the build that should have come out of the box. Everything seems to work as expected. My wife, who wanted to return this, is feeling different with R in place.

On a side note, even though I had to wipe the device to flash R, Google seems to have a much better restore experience with lollipop. Signed on to the google account and it asked what device to restore from, which was of course the backed up N9. Wallpapers, shortcuts, and widgets all came back to the home pages. All installed programs downloaded and updated.

Very nice Google.

I agree R has made a big difference. I like the N9 with L, but it felt buggy, a bit slow and stuttered. R has made me feel like I'm using the tablet the way it was meant to be used. It's fast, stable and smooth. There are, to be sure, still a few bugs, but at this point it seems that this is something than can be mostly addressed by app developers. I am at a point of saying I love this tablet.

Posted via the Android Central App

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Actually from reading here and the reviews from Jerry, AndroidPolice, ArsTechnica etc. I'd say the the opposite is true: most have squishy/bouncy backs, and probably most of them have light bleed, too.Now, it might not bother them, but it means quality control let those things unchecked. What else did they let go through? And with premium prices should come premium quality control and it's not there.
And there are now several people here in the forum that exchanged their units and got other one with similar problems. So it is absolutely NOT silly to say the nexus 9 is overpriced. In the US with plenty of Black Friday promotions bringing the iPad Air 2 for the same price or cheaper (in particular for the 16GB model) you have to look at the whole.picture. . Maybe you're fine with overpaying, many people are, but that doesn't change that in the large picture the N9 is quality wise not competitive at their chosen price point.
Many people think Apple is overpriced but if that is true than Google/HTC do the same.

First, there definitely seems to have been an issue with the early batch that went out to reviewers and some of the initial purchasers hear seem to have gotten some of they same run. But, if you look at the whole of this forum (especially considering that forums tend to bring out complaints), the large majority are NOT having these problems. That is why it is silly to say that it is *definitely* over-priced, since IF you didn't happen to be one of the unlucky ones that got part of that bad batch, then it is very much worth the price. If you were one of the unlucky ones, then of course it is overpriced for a defective unit.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Very nice Google.

I agree with you there, R is the software version the tab should have launched with.

It's much faster, smoother and more stable, but unfortunately, the tab has been reviewed without that version so the reviews are mixed. Googles fault for not having the best software version at release or for reviewers.

Can only hope there are more updates in the future and the tab gets even better.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Mine has a loose back and rather bad light bleed in my opinion. But they are not big concerns to me. My biggest concern is laggy and stuttering software operations but so far it has been smooth and wonderful, so I dun plan to replace it.

A pity about the two main quality issues which bothered many people, as this is a really great device otherwise. Android lollipop is simply marvellous.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Got to finally hold one yesterday at Best Buy. Awesome unit. Nothing crappy about it. I did notice it was a bit laggy, figuring yesterday's update probably solves that. Otherwise, very high quality. Worth $400? Debatable, but that's what all the star ones are now: The Samsungs, Kindle Fire, iwhatever. I didn't get to see the Nvidia Shield, and the very knowledgable guy there said he'd not seen them stocked at all, but wanted them. I'm wondering where folks are seeing them?

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I tell you what the big deal is, it greatly depends on what you will get. For the unit that I picked up from BestBuy, the back gave in 2-3 mm over the whole Nexus sign without major pressure. So just picking it up and holding it would do that and I noticed every time I picked it up.
Yes, a case would fix it but you sound like Steve Jobs during Antennagate :"You're holding it wrong".
But for me the deciding factor to return the Nexus 9 was light bleed, very pronounced on the left hand side. And yes, I compared with my N7 2013 and my wife's iPad Air and the Nexus 9 was not in the same league as even the N7.
HTC/Google price the Nexus 9 at a premium and as such the quality has to match, and in my case it clearly did not.
And enough people had a similar experience that I'd be worried buying one right now. Look at Amazon reviews, I'm not alone
For $100 less I'd say fine, but not for the current asking price, unless HTC sort out their issues (quality control).
I don't like to waste my time playing Nexus 9 roulette.
I agree wholeheartedly with you.This new nexus 9 tablet isn't even in the same league as the iPad Air 2, which is what I'm seriously considering now to upgrade from my Nexus 7.

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine has a loose back and rather bad light bleed in my opinion. But they are not big concerns to me. My biggest concern is laggy and stuttering software operations but so far it has been smooth and wonderful, so I dun plan to replace it.

A pity about the two main quality issues which bothered many people, as this is a really great device otherwise. Android lollipop is simply marvellous.

Unfortunately it seemed like they were pressed to release on a given date before they were ready. Hopefully any major issues can be resolved in time. In the meantime, it's one of the fastest Android tablet out there (fastest single core). Not sure why some are getting such high scores in Geekbench, here is the fastest I've seen compared to one of the fastest iPad Air 2 scores.
htc Nexus 9 vs iPad5,4 - Geekbench Browser

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Got to finally hold one yesterday at Best Buy. Awesome unit. Nothing crappy about it. I did notice it was a bit laggy, figuring yesterday's update probably solves that. Otherwise, very high quality. Worth $400? Debatable, but that's what all the star ones are now: The Samsungs, Kindle Fire, iwhatever. I didn't get to see the Nvidia Shield, and the very knowledgable guy there said he'd not seen them stocked at all, but wanted them. I'm wondering where folks are seeing them?

Check what version of the software you're running.

If you're on LRX21L then I had issues with that software as well. It had stutter, was slow to respond and just didn't feel like a Nexus tablet. However I got a ~30mb update to LRX21R and it's improved the performance a lot. Much snappier and responsive now.

It's rolling out now, so hopefully you get it soon.

mched

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the latest update and it does run a little bit better, but still not as smooth as I would expect from a Nexus device. I know that there is no perfect tablet, but I'm just not blown away by my N9. I'm trying real hard to stay in like with it. I'm an Android guy 100%, I have had the Xoom, Nexus 7 2013 and the LG Gpad 8.3 GPE. My daughters both have iPad Mini's and one of them has the second generation with retina display. I've been comparing the two and I have not really found anything that my N9 does significantly better than her mini, which really bums me out. What's worse, is the 2nd gen mini 32 gig is cheaper than my N9. I'm seriously considering returning it for one of those, the one thing holding me back is iOS.
Fortunately I have until January if I decide to return it to Best Buy.
Decisions.. Decisions...������

Last edited:

smc333

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Love my tablet, the issues are so minor everyone is nitpicking. Got mine Amazon lightening deal for $350. Build quality is good, the back have to look at it sideways to even tell it barely moves in! Light bleed is barely there also. It's great! Size is perfect for me and I like the 4:3 doesn't really bother me with videos. Only gonna get better with app updates and lollipop updates. Keeper.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Love my tablet, the issues are so minor everyone is nitpicking. Got mine Amazon lightening deal for $350. Build quality is good, the back have to look at it sideways to even tell it barely moves in! Light bleed is barely there also. It's great! Size is perfect for me and I like the 4:3 doesn't really bother me with videos. Only gonna get better with app updates and lollipop updates. Keeper.

Agree with the above, it's a beauty. But battery life is really poor though. When I'm using chrome, it drains even faster than my 1 yr old Note 3 and I dun think any update is going to significantly improves it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie