11-28-2014 03:45 PM
58 123
tools
    Got to finally hold one yesterday at Best Buy. Awesome unit. Nothing crappy about it. I did notice it was a bit laggy, figuring yesterday's update probably solves that. Otherwise, very high quality. Worth $400? Debatable, but that's what all the star ones are now: The Samsungs, Kindle Fire, iwhatever. I didn't get to see the Nvidia Shield, and the very knowledgable guy there said he'd not seen them stocked at all, but wanted them. I'm wondering where folks are seeing them?
    11-22-2014 12:45 PM
    I tell you what the big deal is, it greatly depends on what you will get. For the unit that I picked up from BestBuy, the back gave in 2-3 mm over the whole Nexus sign without major pressure. So just picking it up and holding it would do that and I noticed every time I picked it up.
    Yes, a case would fix it but you sound like Steve Jobs during Antennagate :"You're holding it wrong".
    But for me the deciding factor to return the Nexus 9 was light bleed, very pronounced on the left hand side. And yes, I compared with my N7 2013 and my wife's iPad Air and the Nexus 9 was not in the same league as even the N7.
    HTC/Google price the Nexus 9 at a premium and as such the quality has to match, and in my case it clearly did not.
    And enough people had a similar experience that I'd be worried buying one right now. Look at Amazon reviews, I'm not alone
    For $100 less I'd say fine, but not for the current asking price, unless HTC sort out their issues (quality control).
    I don't like to waste my time playing Nexus 9 roulette.
    I agree wholeheartedly with you.This new nexus 9 tablet isn't even in the same league as the iPad Air 2, which is what I'm seriously considering now to upgrade from my Nexus 7.
    11-23-2014 05:48 AM
    Mine has a loose back and rather bad light bleed in my opinion. But they are not big concerns to me. My biggest concern is laggy and stuttering software operations but so far it has been smooth and wonderful, so I dun plan to replace it.

A pity about the two main quality issues which bothered many people, as this is a really great device otherwise. Android lollipop is simply marvellous.
    Unfortunately it seemed like they were pressed to release on a given date before they were ready. Hopefully any major issues can be resolved in time. In the meantime, it's one of the fastest Android tablet out there (fastest single core). Not sure why some are getting such high scores in Geekbench, here is the fastest I've seen compared to one of the fastest iPad Air 2 scores.
    htc Nexus 9 vs iPad5,4 - Geekbench Browser
    11-23-2014 02:36 PM
    Got to finally hold one yesterday at Best Buy. Awesome unit. Nothing crappy about it. I did notice it was a bit laggy, figuring yesterday's update probably solves that. Otherwise, very high quality. Worth $400? Debatable, but that's what all the star ones are now: The Samsungs, Kindle Fire, iwhatever. I didn't get to see the Nvidia Shield, and the very knowledgable guy there said he'd not seen them stocked at all, but wanted them. I'm wondering where folks are seeing them?
    Check what version of the software you're running.

If you're on LRX21L then I had issues with that software as well. It had stutter, was slow to respond and just didn't feel like a Nexus tablet. However I got a ~30mb update to LRX21R and it's improved the performance a lot. Much snappier and responsive now.

It's rolling out now, so hopefully you get it soon.
    11-23-2014 05:36 PM
    I have the latest update and it does run a little bit better, but still not as smooth as I would expect from a Nexus device. I know that there is no perfect tablet, but I'm just not blown away by my N9. I'm trying real hard to stay in like with it. I'm an Android guy 100%, I have had the Xoom, Nexus 7 2013 and the LG Gpad 8.3 GPE. My daughters both have iPad Mini's and one of them has the second generation with retina display. I've been comparing the two and I have not really found anything that my N9 does significantly better than her mini, which really bums me out. What's worse, is the 2nd gen mini 32 gig is cheaper than my N9. I'm seriously considering returning it for one of those, the one thing holding me back is iOS.
    Fortunately I have until January if I decide to return it to Best Buy.
    Decisions.. Decisions...������
    11-23-2014 09:18 PM
    Love my tablet, the issues are so minor everyone is nitpicking. Got mine Amazon lightening deal for $350. Build quality is good, the back have to look at it sideways to even tell it barely moves in! Light bleed is barely there also. It's great! Size is perfect for me and I like the 4:3 doesn't really bother me with videos. Only gonna get better with app updates and lollipop updates. Keeper.

Posted via the Android Central App
    zedz likes this.
    11-24-2014 11:13 AM
    Love my tablet, the issues are so minor everyone is nitpicking. Got mine Amazon lightening deal for $350. Build quality is good, the back have to look at it sideways to even tell it barely moves in! Light bleed is barely there also. It's great! Size is perfect for me and I like the 4:3 doesn't really bother me with videos. Only gonna get better with app updates and lollipop updates. Keeper.

Agree with the above, it's a beauty. But battery life is really poor though. When I'm using chrome, it drains even faster than my 1 yr old Note 3 and I dun think any update is going to significantly improves it.
    11-24-2014 06:02 PM
    My first one was pure junk. My second one is fantastic as of now.

Aredubu likes this.
    11-28-2014 03:45 PM
58 123