Swipe to unlock AND pattern lock, huh?

Chum

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a lock screen pattern setup for my N9. So why do I have to swipe to unlock and THEN enter the lock screen pattern? It would be best if I could simply turn the screen on and then immediately enter the unlock code.

Why do I first have to swipe? This step seems unnecessary and it doesn't seem like there is a way to disable the swipe.

Am I missing something here?

Chum

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit, it's one thing about Lollipop that I don't see the point of. I'd rather be taken straight to entering my unlock pin.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If I understand your complaint correctly I think the point of this is due to the addition of the notifications on the lock screen. I guess they could put the pattern lock below the notifications and you could access it that way, but I think there is some logic in using the swipe to clear the notifications off the screen and getting you to the pattern lock.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
If I understand your complaint correctly I think the point of this is due to the addition of the notifications on the lock screen. I guess they could put the pattern lock below the notifications and you could access it that way, but I think there is some logic in using the swipe to clear the notifications off the screen and getting you to the pattern lock.

Yeah, that's probably why. I disable a lot of notifications so I only get the very few I want, so I don't always have the need to clear. It would be nicer if Lollipop could recognize the absence of notifications when that occurs and bring me straight to the unlock screen in those instances.

I think I can live with it as it is, but options are always nice.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's probably why. I disable a lot of notifications so I only get the very few I want, so I don't always have the need to clear. It would be nicer if Lollipop could recognize the absence of notifications when that occurs and bring me straight to the unlock screen in those instances.

I think I can live with it as it is, but options are always nice.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
I agree it would be nice if it were aware of the notification location. I mostly avoid this because I use smart lock to obviate logging into the device.

VeeYes

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
This is annoying. Also, after swiping and entering pin why my phone "always" opens the phone app by default? Does anyone have this issue? I dont want to see the phone app opened as soon as i unlock my phone. I am using Nexus 4.

AChrisV

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem VeeYes - it's because your swiping left to right from the mini phone icon in the corner. If you swipe up/down you'll get the default home screen.

dolphintickler

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I imagine there are a good number of android users that don't want notifications on their lock screen. The lack of an option to replace the notifications with the standard (for lack of a better word) lock screen is a pretty big oversight. Google must have versioned and decided against rolling out the option, I wonder what the reason was. Judging by the mild uproar here and other forums, I'm a little surprised there's no explanation.

TheSovereign

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread. I googled the issue and your thread was in my first couple hits.

I'm curious: would it be a bad idea for me to roll back to the most recent android? I hate this new rollout.

Paul Sprangers

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree it would be nice if it were aware of the notification location. I mostly avoid this because I use smart lock to obviate logging into the device.

But even then you need to swipe the screen upwards first. Hopefully this will be made configurable in 5.1

Rowe John

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Ahhh excellent i to had this problem ..(the phone screen on unlock) excellent thread and thankyou.......and i also hate the new way of double unlocking the phone.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Whatever they do, I hope each setting is made a user controlled option.
I don't usually lock my Android devices at all. Recently I'm finding the devices are in my pocket launching apps, recording video and in one case composing an email.

So I really needed to switch to a pattern lock.

For my "smart pocket" problem, I need the option to maintain the existing initial swipe option (at least until my pocket has figured out how to break into that too).

ctarket

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I found that if I swipe left or right on the screen instead of double tapping to wake the phone that it takes me straight to theI put in pattern screen. Hope that helps

tastytoast

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Asus Zenfone 2 user here, and I came across this thread looking for a way to disable this function. Thanks for creating this thread...hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

corwin1681

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
No. Just no. I have a pin on my phone for a reason, why would I want to see my notifications on the screen BEFORE I unlock it? I want to know I have notifications, but I don't want to see them. I want to see the pin pad, so I can unlock the phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance