Nexus 7 vs Nexus 9, which to get?

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Basically using my tablets for media consumption and movie watching and a game from time to time, but considering that for the price of N9 I could get the Nexus 7 and a Nintendo 3DS - a true dedicated portable console, I'm thinking of going with the Nexus 7. Is the screen big enough to watch movies? I'm coming from an iPad if anyone is interested.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't watch movies on my tablet (or for that matter at all) but I would definitely go with the n7. The 9 IMO is over priced for what you get. My first impression upon picking up the 9 was what balls they have charging that $ for this thing. Just my thoughts.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Remember that the N9 has a 4:3 ratio so most movies will have bars on the top and bottom. N7 is 16:10 so most of the screen will be utilized. Likely the real size difference won't be as pronounced as you think.

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I am a big fan of the N9, although I took advantage of the $100 off promo at Best Buy, so I didn't pay full price. I have a hard time paying $150+ for last year's technology even though everyone says that the N7 2013 still flies. My N7 2012 turned into a turd after about a year, so I'm leary of that. If you can afford it, I am absurdly happy with my N9, but I mostly use it for Web browsing and games.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I prefer to use my N9 over the my N7 for media consumption at this point. The speakers are better and the screen is larger. The N7 is a great device and is a good choice, but the N9 is better.

Posted via the Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If media is your main use then the 7 is a great choice. I use mine to watch Netflix all the time. When I watch the same content on my Nexus 9 it is letterboxed and looks small.

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
If you don't have either, get the 9...If you already have a 7, keep it. I bought a 9 during the fire sale and already sold it for what I paid for it. There were just too many glitches and build issues out of that first batch for my taste. Update: I now have a second 9, and I absolutes love it.

Last edited:

dcaplinger76

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
If media is your main use then the 7 is a great choice. I use mine to watch Netflix all the time. When I watch the same content on my Nexus 9 it is letterboxed and looks small.

May look small but it's actually a little bigger. A 1080p movie on it measures about 8"

0e6eb9dc104c19ca6807147d5969b400.jpg

littleemp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Remember that the N9 has a 4:3 ratio so most movies will have bars on the top and bottom. N7 is 16:10 so most of the screen will be utilized. Likely the real size difference won't be as pronounced as you think.

Visual TV Size Comparison : 8.9 inch 4x3 display vs 7 inch 16x10 display

Make of this what you will.

--------------

I had the N7 2012 and recently started using the N9 for a couple of days, and I can honestly say that I love this thing. For my uses such as reading stuff like comics, reddit, browsing the internet, and watching videos, it is an amazing device and I couldn't be any happier (I was really nervous after all the vocal negativity this past week). Android gaming is not a "thing" for me, because any gaming that I do is almost exclusively done on my desktop PC, so for me 16GB was enough, but YMMV. (Mobile gaming, whether it is dedicated console or android is just not alluring to me at all)

EDIT: As for the conditions of my device, it has minimal light bleed (only three very small spots) and a small give of around 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch in the back only if I try to press really hard. These are things that do not bother me at all and even if the problems were a little more accentuated, I doubt they would've bothered me (I hadn't even realized that my november 2013 N5 had light bleed until after I checked last week)