Second nexus 9 with light bleed. RMA again?

mrkyle31

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
My first nexus 9 had terrible light bleed in locations where everybody else is having issues: along the top bar, bottom left corner, and some along the left side. It was horrible to the point that I returned it to amazon within two days and got a new one. This new one has light bleed in the same locations but about 40% less. It is still noticeable in a brightly lit room when I am using an app that does not have a black bar at the top (e.g. google play store).

So, should I RMA for a second time? Does their exist any nexus 9's without backlight bleed? I'm not sure if it's worth it to keep playing RMA roulette so I was hoping for some input.

Other options are to look at some of the other tablets, in particular the Nvidia Shield and perhaps the new nokia tablet that was announced. Or maybe even go back to the dark side and get the new iPad air, although I really prefer the front facing speakers on the nexus 9/shield.

I am a medical student so my use is primarily: 1. Studying (highlighting pdfs, etc), 2. Accessing patient data through PowerChart, and 3. Multimedia stuff (twitch streams, youtube, netflix, etc.). It's therefore useful for me to have a somewhat larger screen, but not so large as to not fit in my whitecoat pocket. I'm worried that something like the Shield would be a bit too small for my uses.

Any advice?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I would try to order it from the play store. I know it makes no sense at all but I have always had bad luck with amazon (especially with light bleed, as stupid as it sounds) with regards to defective tablets. All of Amazon's N7's had atrocious lightbleed but then I got one from staples and it was acceptable.

jmawy

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I have ordered from both Amazon and Google Play and all 4 of my replacements have had bad screen bleed and one even had a poorly assembled display and jagged aluminum edges. I really like the 4:3 aspect ratio and the display if it didn't have screen bleed. It is really the perfect tablet for me and because of poor quality control I am just done with it. I have never returned anything over $50 dollars in my life and now I had to do it 4 times. I will say Amazon was really nice to work with on getting replacements but they cut me off and said that until the issue is solved I won't be able to purchase one until then.

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I bought one through the Google Play store and the quality is shocking. Light bleed from three corners and along the top. The price is up there with the iPad Air I also own but the quality is nothing like it. You'd think they'd have some kind of quality control for these things.

chowdog13

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I really want to like the Nexus 9, however the shoddy build quality has me seriously considering an iPad.

Posted via Android Central App

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I really like my Nexus 4 and my sons Nexus 7. Both exceptional value and probably worth more than the selling price. Google are always on the ball with replacements, easy to deal with, and I like that about a company. They're going to replace my Nexus 9 and if the screen is fine then I'll be happy with that and happy with the premium price I paid because other than that screen issue on mine, the rest of the tablet feels premium enough.

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I'd return it. Mine has zero light bleed. My first one had a bunch. I bought my second one at Best Buy.

Posted via the Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I gave on the nexus 9 and sent mine back to Amazon. Maybe I will try the. Nexus 9 2015.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar