My Nexus 9 Died

rigg

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I had just clicked on a picture of the Asus Zen watch and my Nexus 9 screen turned into the attached picture. The numbers were actually scrolling. It took me forever to hard reset, but it kept happening. Just boxed it up and off to Amazon it goes. Guess I will still with my Nexus 7 - preferred it anyway.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• lh3.googleusercontent.jpg
    lh3.googleusercontent.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 136

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Well that surely sucks. So you're just returning it and not doing an exchange?

Side Note: I smell conspiracy! HTC is rumored to be releasing an Android Wear watch at some point so they are sabotaging anyone that dares look at a competitor's product.

...And if anyone thinks that side note was serious, please think again.

rigg

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I thought of exchanging it, but I realized I prefer my Nexus 7. I also experienced the light bleed, which is pretty bad, but I stopped noticing it after a while - kind of like the missing chunk at the bottom of the Moto 360. My wifi also seemed jacked - anytime I did a speed comparison it was always the slowest compared to my Nexus 7 and Moto Droid Turbo. I thought Conspiracy as well, but the bug planted by Asus. I click on a picture of an Asus product and wham, my HTC Nexus gets smoked. There is nothing like holding my 7 in one hand. I would love an upgraded, high spec, 7" stock Android tablet.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Individual preferences are interesting. I've tried using my Nexus 7 but just cannot go back to the smaller size. More than half of my use is my Kindle reader, and reading is much more enjoyable on my Nexus 9. As for Web browsing, I can see so much more on my Nexus 9. I suppose it helps a lot that I have no light bleed and can find no other problems. I got mine from Amazon as a Christmas present, so I have until January 31st to return for any defects. I'm watching carefully!

rigg

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Wow, I did not expect this to happen, but I experienced a severe case of withdrawal yesterday. Went back to the drawing board, looked at all available tablets and just re-purchased the Nexus 9 :D

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I did not expect this to happen, but I experienced a severe case of withdrawal yesterday. Went back to the drawing board, looked at all available tablets and just re-purchased the Nexus 9 :D

Did you look at the new Dell?

rigg

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I did look at the Dell - it seemed the big selling point on that was the camera, which I could care less about. I never nor care to take pictures with my tablet. Also, the thought of purchasing a new tablet in 2015 and having it ship with KitKat is a no go. It's also not stock Android, which is what I want or a slightly modified version such as the Moto X/Droid Turbo. Update: Amazon actually just delivered my new Nexus 9 and......the box was open!!!! Not the outer Amazon cardboard box, the actual Nexus 9 box was open; the protective sticker was cut on both sides. Now, I'm trying to figure out whether to return again :mad:. Amazon will do whatever I want, but what a pain in the ***. Given my trouble with the first, I might just return it. I'm on hold with HTC customer support - seeing if they can run the serial number to see if it was ever previously activated. They probably just sent me back the unit I returned :D

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I believe it is pretty clean. But I think it is still on 4.4. There is a quick first look on the main page

After my disappointment with the nexus 9s quality I am looking at other options.

rigg

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
So HTC ran the serial number and it was activated on November 4th - crazy! Amazon sold me an old, used unit. Can't blame you Jerry, I swore this thing off a couple days ago. I want to see if Motorola comes out with a tablet - love what they're doing with the Moto X, 360 and Droid line. Until then, I'm gonna go back for some more punishment.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
So HTC ran the serial number and it was activated on November 4th - crazy! Amazon sold me an old, used unit. Can't blame you Jerry, I swore this thing off a couple days ago. I want to see if Motorola comes out with a tablet - love what they're doing with the Moto X, 360 and Droid line. Until then, I'm gonna go back for some more punishment.

This doesn't surprise me. My first nexus 7 2013 that I bought from amazon had 4 or 5 different stickers on the box. The ones that they use to seal the box to prevent tampering. Also it had several of the the stickers with the model and serial number stuck on top of each other.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
A moto tablet would be awesome! I had the XY when it first cane out and it still is running. Despite what you think of design being brutalist or rugged in nature, Motorola has always made solid devices with some of the best radios and components in a solid body.

I have a N7 still as well, tried to use it as my travel tablet, and I felt like I was just using a large phone, funny how 7" seems too small and 10" too big ... I think 9" is the sweet spot.

rigg

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
New strategy. Going to pick up the Dell Venue 8 today at Best Buy and test the N9 vs the Dell. Two tablets enter, one tablet leaves.

Garen Loshkajian

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 9 died this morning. I will be switching to a Samsung Galaxy Tab and will never touch the Nexus line again. Android 5.0.2 bricked my Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 9

monkmullen

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 9 died this morning. I will be switching to a Samsung Galaxy Tab and will never touch the Nexus line again. Android 5.0.2 bricked my Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 9

Sucks to hear. If my N9 died, I'd pretty much get any other similar tablet as a replacement rather than another N9. I'm no Nexus apologist, and am willing to call a turd a turd, even when I paid several hundred dollars for it.

Garen Loshkajian

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I have officially switched to a Samsung Galaxy Tab A and have seen improvements in all of the following: battery life, speed, responsiveness, etc. compared to my all three nexus devices I previously owned (N7 2012, N7 2013 and N9). Have not seen this better battery life on an Android device but Google needs to start caring more about their customers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1aas