Won't turn on flashing light at bottom of screen.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Went to wake up my N9 this morning and nothing. Didn't have it plugged in last night so thought maybe the battery is dead. Held the power button down and it vibrated but didn't turn on. Plugged it in and when I hit the power button a white light flashed in the lower light sensor by the USB port.

Now after being plugged in for a while I got a grey battery symbol on the screen that now changed to an animated charging symbol. Looks like it will eventually come back on.

Just thought it was odd that there actually is some sort of status light on it. Wish they would use it like other devices.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Look at the second battery graph. (Settings, look at Battery, press the graph to get the second one.) Do you see a gradual but fast drop in battery over the course of a few hours? That's an app draining too much power. Or do you see a sharp drop to 0 battery in almost 0 time? That's most likely an internal short in the battery, and the battery has to be replaced. (If you want an explanation, search lithiium battery dendrite - it's one big problem with lithium batteries. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, the battery is pretty useless, especially in a phone you can't swap batteries in by just popping off the back cover.)

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Sorry. Didn't see the other thread about this. The changes to Tapatalk make it really hard to see what's new and I did do a search before posting. Maybe a moderator can merge the two.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The N9 has the little led hidden in the bezel above the USB charging port to indicate a very low battery (why I don't exactly know- its easy to tell if your battery is about dead flat in several other ways like the battery icon at top right of screen). Would have been better suited as a notification led...
Anyway, did you get her recharged?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
The N9 has the little led hidden in the bezel above the USB charging port to indicate a very low battery (why I don't exactly know- its easy to tell if your battery is about dead flat in several other ways like the battery icon at top right of screen). Would have been better suited as a notification led...
Anyway, did you get her recharged?

Does the light come on at a certain battery percentage? Is that the only function of the light?

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Agreed 😁
If someone comes up with a mod to use it as a notification I'm game to try it :)
Until then we all have a handy way to tell our N9's batteries are flat...... Whooo hooooo.....

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The same thing happened with a previous Nexus device, I forgot which one though, so clearly Google knew what they were trying to do.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I suspect the blinking LED is better than nothing (like an iPhone) when the battery is really at the power threshold (they never run the batteries flat since they cannot be recovered from that state).

With the iPhone you have to charge it for 10 minutes or so and then it has enough power to show you are red battery icon which means that there is not enough power to bring up the charging status. It takes an additional 10 minutes or so of charging for the iPhone show the charging icon with a percentage. About 2 hours later your phone is fully charged.

Cygnos

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Scenario 3: Battery logic has been corrupted - In rare cases the battery logic will become corrupted, resulting in a
device not appearing to power on or charge. In this state, no LED will display when the device is plugged in even if
the battery is properly charged.
To resolve this issue:
1. Plug device into the provided HTC wall charger that came with the device.
2. Press and hold the POWER, VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons for 1-2 full minutes. The battery
should recalibrate and the device will then power up normally.

macmac_br

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
This worked for me. It started showing the battery icon and then booted. Held until Google logo showed up. About a minute.

Thank you

Scenario 3: Battery logic has been corrupted - In rare cases the battery logic will become corrupted, resulting in a
device not appearing to power on or charge. In this state, no LED will display when the device is plugged in even if
the battery is properly charged.
To resolve this issue:
1. Plug device into the provided HTC wall charger that came with the device.
2. Press and hold the POWER, VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons for 1-2 full minutes. The battery
should recalibrate and the device will then power up normally.

Last edited:

Chris_Brentwood

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I encountered this yesterday too. So Scenario 4:
Google decides to do a massive roll out of next version of Android WITHOUT checking your device is connected to a charger (unlike a certain other manufacturer of white devices). Result - your fully charged tablet the previous night is now dead with a battery so flattened that the supplied charger cannot supply enough current to boot the processor. And the upgrade incomplete to boot. The problem is that an Android device does not have an off switch. As soon as it receives power in this situation it tries to start all processors - not charge the battery first. Fortunately I got hold of a meaty 2.4 Amp USB charger and that was man enough to do the heavy lifting and get tablet charging.

Looking at the tear down report, fitting a new charged battery looks like a high risk strategy to get round this problem.

I bet there are a lot of puzzled Android users out there

Therandomozzie

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I encountered this yesterday too. So Scenario 4:
Google decides to do a massive roll out of next version of Android WITHOUT checking your device is connected to a charger (unlike a certain other manufacturer of white devices). Result - your fully charged tablet the previous night is now dead with a battery so flattened that the supplied charger cannot supply enough current to boot the processor. And the upgrade incomplete to boot. The problem is that an Android device does not have an off switch. As soon as it receives power in this situation it tries to start all processors - not charge the battery first. Fortunately I got hold of a meaty 2.4 Amp USB charger and that was man enough to do the heavy lifting and get tablet charging.

Looking at the tear down report, fitting a new charged battery looks like a high risk strategy to get round this problem.

I bet there are a lot of puzzled Android users out there

This solution worked for me. The biggest charger I had was a 2amp but it did the trick.