05-21-2015 11:40 AM
83 1234
tools
    I've never side loaded with ADB, so I might try it. Is there a step buy step instruction on how to do it?

Last time I tried I had downloaded the Android SDK it had so much stuff in it I didn't know what to do once I downloaded it.

I need like a really damn basic walkthrough. A lot of sites just say 'once you've got the SDK up and running' and I'm like...yeah, how do I get it up and running?

Sent from my SM-G920I
    05-11-2015 11:31 PM
    I've never side loaded with ADB, so I might try it. Is there a step buy step instruction on how to do it?

Last time I tried I had downloaded the Android SDK it had so much stuff in it I didn't know what to do once I downloaded it.

I need like a really damn basic walkthrough. A lot of sites just say 'once you've got the SDK up and running' and I'm like...yeah, how do I get it up and running?

Sent from my SM-G920I
    Download Minimal ADB and Fastboot from XDA, that's all you need to flash.
    systemofadown1 likes this.
    05-12-2015 01:01 AM
    Download Minimal ADB and Fastboot from XDA, that's all you need to flash.
    I downloaded it. When I type ./adb devices, it doesn't recognise my tablet. Says "not recognised internal or external command". I have USB debugging on in the developer settings.

A lot of guides say I need to unlock the bootloader first, but that will wipe everything from my device. Do I need to do that or can I skip that step?

This is what I mean when I say there needs to be a literal step-by-step guide on how to do this. There always seems to be assumptions that people 'know' what to do in guides I read. Well I don't. I don't know jack about this stuff and they always skip over minor points which leaves me confused as to what I'm supposed to do.
    Kamin likes this.
    05-12-2015 04:45 AM
    A lot of guides say I need to unlock the bootloader first, but that will wipe everything from my device. Do I need to do that or can I skip that step?
    Unfortunately that's vital. You won't be able to do anything until the bootloader is unlocked.
    systemofadown1 likes this.
    05-12-2015 05:00 AM
    Unfortunately that's vital. You won't be able to do anything until the bootloader is unlocked.
    Can't sideload the OTA without unlocking the bootloader?

Alright, I'll pass then. Not prepared on wiping the tab.

Just will have to wait for the OTA.
    05-12-2015 05:17 AM
    Anytime you buy (especially) a nexus product the first thing you should do is unlock the bootloader.
    Don't feel bad though, I skipped unlocking mine too a few months back. I'll have to wipe my tablet when I unlock the bootloader but I'm used to it - I prefer to suffer

by the way in developer options you also have to enable OEM unlock of the Nexus 9
    05-12-2015 05:57 AM
    Read up on it and found out you don't have to unlock the bootloader (which also means you don't have to wipe) to flash an OTA update.

Trying it out now.

EDIT: Success! Flashed the 5.1.1 OTA update. Didn't require me to unlock the bootloader, didn't have to wipe the device or anything.

Tab definitely feels faster and smoother. Chrome webpages aren't killed off immediately either. Seems to be stored in ram longer.
    05-12-2015 06:04 AM
    Did you remove the wipe data portion? Please share your findings

**Edit** I'm going to sideload with ADB (in about an hour, the download always takes forever).
    05-12-2015 06:52 AM
    Did you remove the wipe data portion? Please share your findings
    No didn't have to wipe any data portion. It's as if I had downloaded and installed it from the OTA. All my apps are there, background, widgets etc. No rooting, no unlocking of bootloader, no wiping required. Perfect installation.

Here is my 100% step-by-step procedure. Writing this out for people who have no idea on how to do this stuff. It's long because I'm making the assumption that people reading this have NO idea what to do (just as I did a couple hours ago), so I literally want to hold their hand through the entire process. I've read over it, and I'm pretty sure if you follow every step, you can't stuff it up....or at least I hope not.

ONE - Downloads
    1a) Download "ADB Driver Installer" from here: Downloads - Adb Driver Installer
    1b) Download and install "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" (version 1.2) from here: [TOOL]Minimal ADB and Fastboot [11-6-14] | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums
    1c) Download the file "5.1.1 (LMY47X) from 5.0.2 (LRX22L) OTA zip" from here: Nexus 9 Wifi Android 5.1.1 factory image and OTA file now available | Android Central (should be about a 400mb zip file)
    1d) Once the file in 1c had downloaded, move the file to your desktop and rename it to android (just so it isn't that stupidly long file name it has as default)

TWO - Get your Nexus 9 recognised by your PC:
    2a) On your Nexus 9 got to Settings -> About Tablet -> and tap on "Build number" repeatedly (7 taps?) until it says "Congratulations, you're now a developer" or something like that
    2b) Back out and go to Settings -> Developer Options (a new option available due to step 2a)
    2c) In Developer Options turn "USB debugging" on
    2d) Connect your Nexus 9 to your PC via USB cable
    2e) Fire up ADB Driver Installer that you downloaded in step 1a. It should recognise your device and press the "Install" button. If you don't have the correct ADB driver, it will install it. If you already has it, then the program won't do anything and say you're up to date, so make sure you press "Install" anyway just to make sure you've got the latest driver
    2f) Open Minimal ADB and Fastboot that you downloaded in step 1b. A black command box should appear where you type adb devices
    2g) On your tab, there should be a confirmation box saying do you want to give adb permissions, click "always on this computer" and click yes
    2h) Once you did step 2f and 2g, there should be a line of jumbled letters and numbers which is your device. If there isn't, then something has gone wrong in one of the previous steps

THREE - Prepare your Nexus 9 for flashing
    3a) Unplug your Nexus 9 from your PC and turn the device off
    3b) Once it is completely off, press both the power and volume down button and keep holding them till you get into a white screen which has a bunch of text in different colours
    3c) Press volume down to move to "RECOVERY" and press the power button to select it
    3d) The tab will look like it has reset with "Google" showing and then an icon of the Android robot with a red exclamation mark and "No command" written, this is what you want to see
    3e) Press the power button and while holding down the power button, press the volume up button then let go (you don't have to hold these down for long)
    3f) This will take you to another screen with red and blue writing. Press volume down to go to "apply update from ADB" and press the power button to select it
    3g) Now you're on a black screen with some yellow writing at the bottom saying "Now send the package you want to apply"

FOUR - Flashing the update file to your Nexus 9
    4a) Connect your Nexus 9 to your PC through the USB cord again
    4b) Open the Minimal ADB and Fastboot program (if it wasn't open already)
    4c) In the command prompt in Minimal ADB and Fastboot, type adb devices. Again your device should show up with the random letters and numbers and the word "sideload" next to it
    4d) Now you will need to locate on your desktop where your 5.1.1 file you downloaded in step 1c is. Do NOT open this file. Keep it closed as the zip
    4e) Now in Minimal ADB and Fastboot program, type adb side load and drag and drop that zip file you downloaded in 1c (should be located on your desktop renamed to "andriod" if you followed step 1d) into the command prompt. So it should read something like adb sideload C:\Users\YourName\Desktop\android.zip
    4f) Press enter on your keyboard and the update should start side loading. Of course, do not unplug the device, don't turn off your PC or anything silly. Just let it do its thing. You will see on the command prompt on your PC a % indicator which shows how much it has done

So that was it. It looks long, but that's only because I really wanted to make it a legitimate step-by-step instruction and make no room for error or uncertainty.

Hope it helps someone out there.
    05-12-2015 07:57 AM
    Nice rightup
    you're definitely going to be a lot of people's hero
    05-12-2015 08:09 AM
    Anyone get the ota yet?
    05-12-2015 11:11 AM
    Nothing here yet anyway.
    05-12-2015 11:20 AM
    Read up on it and found out you don't have to unlock the bootloader (which also means you don't have to wipe) to flash an OTA update.

Trying it out now.

EDIT: Success! Flashed the 5.1.1 OTA update. Didn't require me to unlock the bootloader, didn't have to wipe the device or anything.

Tab definitely feels faster and smoother. Chrome webpages aren't killed off immediately either. Seems to be stored in ram longer.
    Oops sorry, I was thinking of flashing a factory image where you do have to unlock the boot loader. Glad you didn't take me at my word and looked further into it!
    05-12-2015 01:23 PM
    Just remember anytime you need to flash you will need to unlock the bootloader and backup your data cause it will reset to factory. With OTA you can sideload with the bootloader locked and you will not loose your data unless the unknown happens.
    05-12-2015 02:28 PM
    Why don't you download the captured OTA and sideload it. It's faster.
    05-12-2015 02:30 PM
    Downloaded OTA file. Got USB debug enabled, allowed my computer forever. While 5.0.2 is running ADB finds the device and all is well. When I get to recovery my device is not found. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
    05-12-2015 06:34 PM
    Downloaded OTA file. Got USB debug enabled, allowed my computer forever. While 5.0.2 is running ADB finds the device and all is well. When I get to recovery my device is not found. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
    Did you check the little box to remember that you authorized your computer for adb access? Also, adb in recovery is a different driver. If you use wugfresh toolkit it walks you through fixing it. Something like control panel, device manager, find yellow exclamation mark, update driver, select from computer.
    jaltman likes this.
    05-12-2015 10:28 PM
    Grr cmon LTE update. Post or be sent. I don't care which :-P

Posted via the Android Central App
    Zylograth likes this.
    05-13-2015 01:30 AM
    Did you check the little box to remember that you authorized your computer for adb access? Also, adb in recovery is a different driver. If you use wugfresh toolkit it walks you through fixing it. Something like control panel, device manager, find yellow exclamation mark, update driver, select from computer.
    Got it, thanks, installing OTA now. Needed second driver, then a later version adb, but now all is well.

Thank you.
    klobkelosh likes this.
    05-13-2015 04:18 AM
    I just got a notification to get the OTA. States 'waiting to download' and no sort of button or anything else I can do. Wonder how long I have to wait for and candidly, why I am waiting?

Nexus 9 Android 5.1.1 OTA update starting today!-screenshot_2015-05-13-11-47-03.jpg

**EDIT - About 5 minutes after posting this is changed to Downloading** Fingers crossed I have no issues.
    05-13-2015 11:45 AM
    Tried sideloading the OTA on my stock N9 on Monday, but it repeatedly failed during the verification stage with ""system partition has unexpected contents - E:Error in /sideload/package.zip - (Status 7)." Figured I would wait until the OTA arrived through the system update. That showed up this morning. Downloaded it, restarted my N9, and then watched it fail with a dead Android and red exclamation point. Reset it and it runs fine but says that it still is 5.0.2 and that the system is up to date.

Ugh.
    05-13-2015 01:41 PM
    Sorry for late reply. OTA installed just like normal and seems to be working fine.
    05-13-2015 01:47 PM
    Just received notification that 5.1.1 was downloaded and did I want to update. I did and everything worked perfectly. It does appear faster. Will now wait and see.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-13-2015 03:19 PM
    After second attemtp to update through system update, failed again with "system partition has unexpected contents - E:Error in / cache/recovery/block[dot]map - (Status 7)"
    05-13-2015 03:24 PM
    Much snappier, less lag at times. Overall I didn't have much in the way of issues to begin with that others complained about. However, thus far, in the few hours I have played with it, it does seem more responsive. AnTuTu benchmark comes back at 59907. So, thats a good thing.
    05-13-2015 03:58 PM
83 1234