Nexus 9 HTC warranty support warning

beetmonger

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
TL;DR version: don't buy a Nexus 9 from anyone but Google unless you're prepared to deal with the Kafka-esque nightmare of HTC's "support." While I don't post much (ok, never, but I've been lurking for years), I thought I would share my experience with HTC's support as a cautionary tale.

I made the mistake of buying my Nexus 9 locally rather than from Google, as a result of which I'm forced to deal with HTC's support. My device started overheating so I called to set up an RMA. I was told first that the case would have to be escalated and that a tech would call me the next day. They never called. I called back 3 days later and got an RMA. They didn't pay for shipping. The repair department had the device for all of 4 hours and only flashed the firmware. No repairs attempted. Then HTC left the box on the loading dock and UPS never received it, so it took a week of calling and trying to escalate to supervisors to get them to track it down. I was repeatedly told someone would call me back but they never did. After a week it shipped back to me.

My over-heating problem resurfaced (of course, since they didn't repair it) so I called and requested a replacement this time. The rep initially said they couldn't replace it but relented after I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was sent a shipping label and sent in the tablet a second time. I received the tablet back and...it was the exact same one. Not replaced. I called HTC again to complain and they asked for me to verify the tracking number for their own label (!) because they had no record that I'd sent it to them. Again asked to speak to a supervisor and was again promised an exchange...if I send it back to them a third time.

Once again I was sent a label and returned the device. A few days later I was sent a second label. Today I received notification by UPS that Regenersis is returning the device. I called HTC and once again they had no record of the first label or of ever having received the device. After holding for half an hour, a supervisor told my rep that the exchange process is "offline" and they have no way of knowing what Renegersis does. So now I'm waiting for the inevitable - receiving my un-repaired and un-exchanged tablet from UPS tomorrow. I'm beginning to think it is cheaper for HTC just to send UPS labels and stall until the warranty period expires than to actually replace the defective device.

Personally, I'm never buying an HTC device again.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. If you change HTC to Motorola then I've read posts like this before on the Motorola forum.

Could it be that all the manufacturers are like this?

beetmonger

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I've actually had good experiences with Motorola and Samsung. Never tried RMA with Asus phones, but haven't had problems with getting motherboards serviced. And from what I've read, Google replaces overheating Nexus 9s without hassle IF you bought it direct from the Play store.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

sbisoyi

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
Nexus 9 service from HTC sucks big time. i have been waiting for a call from then for the past 6 months. my device is a waste. never buying a HTC again ever.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon