Just a few quick questions.

I bought a Nexus 9 from Gazelle. I feel like I got a good deal on it. It was the 32GB version, looking almost brand new, for about $250. I think it's one of the 2014 versions, though I'm not sure if there's a way to know for sure. I'm assuming it is due to the buttons being almost flat with the tablet.

So far I love the tablet. The weight, size, speed, and feel of it.

I'm wondering if I should return it or not though and try and watch for a 2015 version. The buttons don't bother me, but I'm wondering about things such as the excessive heat that I feel from the tablet, especially in the area of the camera. It's extremely hot when I was testing some games, but it seems to stay warm even when doing minor things.

Were there any other issues with the 2014 tablets when they came out that were fixed in later versions that I should know about?

Thanks.
    08-12-2015 07:01 AM
    I'm not entirely convinced that HTC ever "revised" the N9. You can get a pretty good idea of manufacture date from this:
    Serial Number:
    HT4A* = October 2014
    HT4B* = November 2014
    HT4C* = December 2014
    HT51* = January 2015
    I believe that I was able to go to the HTC site and get info about the dates while looking into warranty repair.
    I bought an N9 in late Feb from Amazon warehouse. ($350. for the one you you have). It is a mid-October build but light bleed is minimal; buttons are simply ok--not entirely sunken in but requires a fingernail push; no speaker problems; and the back had no problems. My only issue was that I kept seeing a grayish cloudy area (looked like a smudge but couldn't be cleaned up) in the middle of the screen. When I rubbed the back firmly, it disappeared for a while. When I replaced my covered case with a back-only type case, the smudge disappeared. Now, my only issue of very laggy home screen redraw. Hoping "M" will make some improvements for that.
    If the tab works for you, keep it. You got a great deal on it. I love reading on mine. I mostly read and surf. It does get warm in the camera area when surfing but never too hot to handle.
    08-12-2015 07:52 AM
    I have one corner that has some light bleed, so not bad. I used a temperature gun to measure the temp in the hot area, and it gets up to about 110.

And it looks like it's a December 2014 one based on what you've said.

And it seems great for what I use it for. I mostly just play chess.com, maybe watch YouTube or Netflix, read books, check email. I've never been too much into mobile games, but I wanted to see how they ran.

I've ordered a case that I expect to get today, so I wonder if I'll notice the heat too much after that.
    08-12-2015 09:24 AM
    I don't think you'll notice the heat with a case. Graphics intensive games and web browsing (I use Chrome beta) seem to be the heat culprits. I stream and cast without the heat issue. I've never measured the heat, but 110 sounds right. My Nexus 5 gets pretty hot when doing anything battery intensive. It's never seemed to hurt the phone in any way. From reports at the time, December versions had far fewer problems. Good luck with it.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    08-12-2015 01:43 PM
    HT4A2T*, April 2015. No heat problems with Chrome, Chrome Beta, Chrome Dev, or #NoChromo. Occassional screen touch issues not experienced with other Nexus devices, though.
    08-22-2015 03:06 PM
    HT4A2T*, April 2015. No heat problems with Chrome, Chrome Beta, Chrome Dev, or #NoChromo. Occassional screen touch issues not experienced with other Nexus devices, though.
    I seem to have those touch issues but nothing like with N7 2013. I'm never sure if it's not part of the lag issue that I experience with this tab.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    08-26-2015 12:35 PM