OTA to 6.0.1 sent my stock Nexus 9 into bootloop - I am not alone

Ratamacue2

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
My bone stock Nexus 9 went into a bootloop after taking the update to 6.0.1. It appears that the Nexus help forums are blowing up with many Nexi owners of various flavors experiencing the same problem.

Unfortunately, I never checked "allow OEM unlock," so I couldn't just flash a new image. Clearing cache and factory reset were also no help. I got the dreaded (or standard, depending if you've been tinkering) "your device is corrupt" nastygram before it went into bootloop.

Fortunately it was still under warranty. Does anyone know what HTC does with these units when they are returned? Do they have the ability to unlock the bootloader and fix it by flashing the vendor image or something along those lines?

FTL_Diesel

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
The exact same thing happened to me when I updated to 6.0.1.

This is actually the second update that has caused this problem for me with my N9. The last one, I also forgot to set 'OEM unlock', and so did a warranty return of my N9. HTC sent me back a completely new device, rather than un-bricking my original.

Also, if anyone knows how to unlock the bootloader with only access to hboot and fastboot, I'd love to hear about it. Otherwise my N9 will be going back to the shop again. :(

Vipul Sekhsaria

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
This solution worked for me.

Failed Marshmallow update/Stock Android (Loc… | Nexus 9

I had to wipe everything, but at least I didn't have to send the tablet off.

Hi

when I boot into recovery as per steps given by you, I can't find the version running - the 6 character image file name.

Everything else (the problem) is same as yours

Could u suggest a workaround.

I will just list the status again:

1. Nexus 9 running Android 6.0. (Not rooted, everything stock)
2. Get an OTA update for 6.0.1
3. Update downloads but on installing shows system is corrupt etc. But still boots
4. Back keys and some other keys not showing. Some other functionalities lack. System shows updated to 6.0.1
5. With no solution at sight I use instructions above to reach factory reset screen and do the same
6. Since then in bootloop

As per your instruction unable to see image file number

Can I still proceed in some way

Thanks
Vipul

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't know a workaround. Are you certain you followed the directions exactly? I have seen a few others say they were unable to see the name, but I have not experienced that. For me, the characters show up no problem on the recovery screen.

Also, the April security update sent me into this bootloop again. I've now had to go through this process twice in the past year to fix two bad OTA updates. That definitely sours me on the Google/HTC partnership, but at least this fix worked for me each time. And I was able to wipe the cache partition without losing my data. So, yay for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech