I'm on a Nexus 9 running unrooted, original Marshmallow, set to auto-update. I habitually play long playlists, leaving the tablet to otherwise idle with its screen off.

After auto-updating from Lollipop to Marshmallow, audio will often suddenly slow down to about a quarter normal speed -- sounding like a record playing in a haunted house.

This usually happens after the Nexus has been otherwise idle for two hours or more, and it requires stopping playback, waiting several seconds and then resuming for playback to return to normal.

I have tried:

1. a variety of Marshmallow's Doze power-saving options;
    2. changing media players;
    3. changing file location between "on device" and "on LAN";
    4. [edit: suggested below] wiping the cache partition.

I have noticed that:

1. [edit] this didn't happen until after auto-updating from Lollipop to Marshmallow;
    2. it is necessary to stop/pause and WAIT several seconds before resuming to restore normal playback. Quickly pausing and resuming, or skipping to other tracks doesn't restore normal playback;
    3. while it usually takes several hours of idling for this behaviour to manifest, it has happened while the device is awake and the track just actively altered;
    4. it also occurs on video playback.

Nexus 9
    Marshmallow (original, unrooted, latest)
    02-01-2016 08:52 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Is this for streaming media only, or for locally stored media as well? If the former, do you have Restrict Background Data turned on anywhere in Settings>Data Usage?
    02-01-2016 09:15 PM
    Although I mostly stream from the LAN, the issue occurs with files stored on the device as well. All the same, I checked Settings\Data Usage and there are no apparent restrictions.
    02-01-2016 09:31 PM
    Already try a cache partition wipe? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-17848
    02-01-2016 10:47 PM
    I may have done a cache wipe before but I will try. I will get back, success or fail.

The interface / process for wiping a cache on a (Nexus) Marshmallow is slightly different from the one described in the link above. There's an unambiguous walkthrough on GottaBeMobile.com. once you've Googled it (How to Fix Bad Nexus Android 6.0 Battery Life) scroll down to the section "Wipe Your Cache Partition".
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-02-2016 07:46 AM
    Thanks for the tip! I didn't realize it would differ with Marshmallow--the steps for the Nexus 5 and 7 didn't change going from Lollipop to Marshmallow, so I figured it'd be the same for the 9.
    02-02-2016 10:52 AM
    Unfortunately, wiping the cache partition does not resolve the issue.
    02-03-2016 06:56 AM
    How odd. I couldn't find any other mentions of this issue after a brief web search, so it doesn't seem to be a known problem. You might try reinstalling the firmware: How to manually update your Nexus | Android Central
    02-03-2016 12:35 PM
    I would dislike having to reinstall and reconfigure everything.
    Would flashing an OTA image suffice to reset the firmware?
    02-03-2016 01:06 PM
    Sorry, I don't know for sure--although I would have thought that flashing the OTA firmware would essentially be the same as manually installing the factory image as described in that link.
    02-03-2016 06:40 PM
    I'm dragging my feet as it's the first time I'd flash an Android. If I do, I'll post whether it fixed the issue.
    02-05-2016 07:20 PM