Nexus 9 OTAs

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Anybody else have repeated issues with the tablet not finishing an OTA and being bricked?

I had this about a year ago and sent it back to HTC only to have it happen again. I still need to call their terrible support and do something but the thought of dealing with them again makes me cringe.

Now I'm hearing about people having this issue again with the N OTA... This does not give me the warm fuzzy if Google is really thinking about having HTC build nexus devices in the future.

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
1. N is still a beta release. Not having issues with it would be a much bigger surprise than having some.

2. How can you be getting issues with an OTA update for N, when N hasn't been released yet?

Posted via Android Central App

TheStratMan

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
There is an Android Beta Program that, when an eligible device is enrolled, will send you an OTA to the current alpha build of Android N (Of course, any eligible device that you unenroll in the program will receive an OTA to the latest stable MM build, though doing so will wipe your device.)

See here: Test on a Device | Android Developers

There are complaints across the eligible Nexus devices of bricking when installing the OTA for the preview of N.

Google has a fix here: Applying a Device OTA Image | Android Developers

There you can download the OTA file and sideload it through the recovery menu in the bootloader screen and ADB.

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I suppose there are good reasons to have an OTA system for beta testing the OS. But it seems like they are asking for bad press making it so easy for people who don't understand how risky testing can be. Finding broken stuff is the point after all.

Posted via Android Central App

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else have repeated issues with the tablet not finishing an OTA and being bricked?

I had this about a year ago and sent it back to HTC only to have it happen again. I still need to call their terrible support and do something but the thought of dealing with them again makes me cringe.

Now I'm hearing about people having this issue again with the N OTA... This does not give me the warm fuzzy if Google is really thinking about having HTC build nexus devices in the future.

My N9 was bricked but I was able to restore it by sideloading the OS. I currently have Android N on my tablet and I'm (so far) running without any issues.

J