Hey all,

I have two apps on my Nexus 9 tablet (on Project Fi in the USA) that simply won't work.

One is the CBSN live news app from CBS News. I can read the site, but can't play the live news -- nothing but a black screen with no sound when I try. Same app plays fine on my Nexus 6 phone (also Project Fi but has the same issue via wi-fi).

Second app is the "Airtime Player" for watching TV on Southwest Airlines flights through their wi-fi. Whenever I try to watch TV on a Southwest flight, I get "incompatible (or maybe invalid) video format" and an otherwise blank screen. The same app on my Nexus 6 phone plays the TV channels fine and dandy on the same flight.

This issue has persisted through Lollipop and Marshmallow. And these are the only two apps (that I know of) that seem to have this problem. All other apps (Sling TV, Fox News Go, WatchESPN, among others) seem to work fine.

Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks!
    04-10-2016 04:56 PM
    Hey all,

I have two apps on my Nexus 9 tablet (on Project Fi in the USA) that simply won't work.

One is the CBSN live news app from CBS News. I can read the site, but can't play the live news -- nothing but a black screen with no sound when I try. Same app plays fine on my Nexus 6 phone (also Project Fi but has the same issue via wi-fi).

Second app is the "Airtime Player" for watching TV on Southwest Airlines flights through their wi-fi. Whenever I try to watch TV on a Southwest flight, I get "incompatible (or maybe invalid) video format" and an otherwise blank screen. The same app on my Nexus 6 phone plays the TV channels fine and dandy on the same flight.

This issue has persisted through Lollipop and Marshmallow. And these are the only two apps (that I know of) that seem to have this problem. All other apps (Sling TV, Fox News Go, WatchESPN, among others) seem to work fine.

Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks!
    Welcome to Android Central!

I world try emailing the developer of the apps to see if they have a fix for the issue.
    04-13-2016 07:32 PM
    Just wrote to CBS, no answer yet. Looking at the reviews of the CBSN app, the inability to play the live feed on the Nexus 9 appears to be a common problem. This specific issue on this specific device is mentioned several times.
    04-29-2016 06:50 PM
    Surprise after all this time, after installing the Nougat update, suddenly CBSN works fine on this tablet.

Probably won't be able to test the Airtime Player until the next time I fly Southwest Airlines, likely not til February.
    10-23-2016 10:58 PM