Nexus 9 freezes after Oct 5 security patch

WT816

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
I need help. I have a Nexus 9 running andriod 7 with the Oct 5 security patch and my Nexus freezes after about 1-2 hours of using Netflix or YouTube apps. It is frozen solid and I have to press the power button in until it reboots. This has happened 3 times in the last 24 hours. It was fine before I got the recent patch. Any idead? Thanks.

Bill

Dismaster

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I need help. I have a Nexus 9 running andriod 7 with the Oct 5 security patch and my Nexus freezes after about 1-2 hours of using Netflix or YouTube apps. It is frozen solid and I have to press the power button in until it reboots. This has happened 3 times in the last 24 hours. It was fine before I got the recent patch. Any idead? Thanks.

Bill
Mine freezes the same way when browsing with chrome. Be scrolling a page and it just stops, makes me have to re-boot. Not pleased at all.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Just started happening to me as well. At first, it was off and on but now it's happening on a regular basis. I was watching YouTube and it froze last night. Happens with Chrome all the time. Hopefully the next update will fix this issue.

J

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine scared the crap out of me yesterday. It had started slowing down and lagging after performing flawlessly since MM. When I tried to wipe cache from recovery, it... just...hung...up. Restarted, and it went into interminable boot loops. Even recovery booth looped.
Battery finally died, and after a couple other boot loops, I finally got into recovery for a full reset.
Thankfully, it restarted.

Anyway, be ready for anything dealing with this newly introduced lag.

neilk

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine doesn't freeze when using my Nexus 9 but sometimes when I am powering off. I then hold down the power button until it restarts then I usually can successfully power off.

GaboCaVi

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Mine is with the same problem and I am not sure what the hell is going on! I want to see what brings the Android 7.1.1 update to the table or just if November security patch fixes the issue!

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I think it's over, but don't feel singled out if you own a Nexus 9 because It's over for the whole tablet segment anyway.

I don't agree with your comment about the tablet segment being over. I have a Nexus 6P that is definitely a BIG phone but there are many times I prefer using my tablet to using my phone.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't agree with your comment about the tablet segment being over. I have a Nexus 6P that is definitely a BIG phone but there are many times I prefer using my tablet to using my phone.

To each their own, I based that statement on declining iPad sales quarter over quarter.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok I had a friend call me about his Nexus 9 freezing and requiring a HARD Re-Boot. So it isn't just me when he says it started occuring and it is so anoying he is considering getting a new Table. He even paid $225 getting a new mother board about five months ago from Google. I had another N9 Freeze event a few minutes when I read a news story and hit the Share option and then Copy to Clipboard. No controls would work on the Tablet and had to hold the Power Button till it did a Hard Reboot.

My N9 worked great since I got it until now and at one point I considered it almost as good as my PC to surf the Web. This Freeze has been occurring about once a week for a while now. Granted it only seems to happen when I read a lot of news sites on my N9 but it has got to the point is is a pain in the butt to use on the internet. Playing games like Clash of Clans and Boom Beach seem to never cause any issues.

indysteve9

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Mine freezes daily. And sometimes multiple times per . I'm about ready to throw it out the window and it's only 2 years old. I'm just really disgusted with Nexus. I'll never buy another one of their devices.

ezzzzz

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Mine scared the crap out of me yesterday. It had started slowing down and lagging after performing flawlessly since MM. When I tried to wipe cache from recovery, it... just...hung...up. Restarted, and it went into interminable boot loops. Even recovery booth looped.
Battery finally died, and after a couple other boot loops, I finally got into recovery for a full reset.
Thankfully, it restarted.

Anyway, be ready for anything dealing with this newly introduced lag.

same thing happened to me! i also freaked out finally got it to a point an hour later, was able to a factory reset.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered a Samsung Galaxy S2 9.7" on eBay for $259. Supposed to be like new. I would be happier with a Nexus device I think but this one got good reviews as well.