Nexus 9 freezes after Oct 5 security patch

pileobunnies

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
Glad this isn't just me. I find it only happens if my battery is under 50%, so so far I'm just keeping it charged -- but I'd love a better solution.

pileobunnies

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
Okay, fixed this using the battery method described in other threads about Nexus 9 crashes. You don't have to remove the battery -- just pop the connection out where it touches the motherboard and reattach. Took me like 3 minutes. My tools were a credit card to help get the backing off and a butter knife to pop the battery guard out and then disconnect the wire. By Christmas I was getting crashes whenever battery was under 80%. Now I've worn the battery down to 13% and it's still running perfectly.

JStryker

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Mine started freezing after the Nougat upgrade. I haven't figured out any way around it.

Absolutely - this is exactly when this started is after the update.

Im browsing in Chrome - starts to get lagggggy... then freeeze.... then sometimes it releases and comes back only to stutter and freeeeeze..... sometimes at this point it may/may not free up again - other times - its locked and if you feel the top of the tablet its hot.

This only happens in Chrome and after the update.

Does anyone know if this has been reported to Google and if there is a support thread there?

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that no more updates were coming for the nexus 9. I hope google rethinks thinks decision since they left us with a bad update. I was planning on buying a pixel. This happened with my origional galaxy note and i havent purchaed a samsung device since. My nexus 9 is still freezing. I'm going to search for a support thread. If anyone finds one please report back.

James Voldemor

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
Okay, fixed this using the battery method described in other threads about Nexus 9 crashes. You don't have to remove the battery -- just pop the connection out where it touches the motherboard and reattach. Took me like 3 minutes. My tools were a credit card to help get the backing off and a butter knife to pop the battery guard out and then disconnect the wire. By Christmas I was getting crashes whenever battery was under 80%. Now I've worn the battery down to 13% and it's still running perfectly.

This method work for me too. Thanks a lot :)

Michele Bordoni

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
I got the same problem and I propose this idea. Since it has only 2GB of ram I think it is a matter of memory availability: the more apps are running the more N9 slows down to swap memory till it hangs.
Things got worse with Android 7 since it has a bigger footprint than Android 5.
Now mine it is also warmer than in the past since Android need more CPU.
It hangs up more frequently with Chrome because it uses a lot of memory with multi tab and JavaScript engine.
A solution? Change tablet with something newer (Samsung S2 8.4 is today best to me)
A mitigation? Go in developer options and set to immediately close unused apps ( it will be more uncomfortable to use since once you close an app you will lose its status, but it would hang up less frequently and it would be more responsive too)

thisiscrazy

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If your Nexus 9 worked without issue, but did slow down a little, would you purchase a new tablet? I know that I wouldn't and so does Google. My Nexus 9 is freezing up constantly.

AlexTheGrater

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site

Just tried this on the wife's N9, she's a very impatient person and was on the verge of destroying it. I calmed her down, went hunting and found this blog. If it works I'm a hero, if it does not it'll be aimed at me when she destroys it...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance